The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2015, 04:55 PM   #1
Kyle70SWB

ANOTHER 6 lug disc brake question

I have spent most of the day digging around online, and on here, and every post I see has different answers..

I have a 70 SWB, and will be adding power steering, and power brakes.

I am going to piece this together slowly before I even think about tearing it all apart, and I THINK I have figured out the easiest way to do the drum to disc. I do NOT want to order a full kit from a company, because I want to be able to run to the local parts house for parts when I need them.

I am really looking for someone to double check my thoughts and correct where I am wrong.

Am I reading that I would basically take a pre-87 front suspension, everything EXCEPT the control arms, and bolt it to the 70? I know I will need a proportioning valve, and will also be getting a new master cylinder and booster, but don't I need those from a 72?
Old 12-08-2015, 06:01 PM   #2
CC69Rat

Re: ANOTHER 6 lug disc brake question

My truck (in my build) has the 84 F44 front kmember swap. There are several pictures with the entire front clip off. It's not too bad, you do have to drill 2 holes in the frame but that's not a big deal. I didn't do this truck myself, I bought it as you see it in the beginning of the build. But, just seeing the truck like I have compared to the others I have built it cant be that difficult.

Welcome to the board by the way !

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:03 PM   #3
Kyle70SWB

thanks Rat

Im not looking to do a k member swap though. I don't plan on pulling the engine unless I have to

I posted a new guy thread with a little info on the plans for this truck
Old 12-08-2015, 07:56 PM   #4
michael bustamante

reall all you need is the hub, new ball joints and the caliper and rotor as well as the steering rack if you have a doner 71-72. also you might want to either make new lines based on a 71-72 set up if your youre using the prop valve from a 71-72 or fab new lines 73 and up style if going the 73 + route
Old 12-16-2015, 08:56 AM   #5
Kyle70SWB

donor truck pricing here is crazy.. along with a place to park ANOTHER vehicle isn't an option.

I was considering a run to some local pull a part locations Saturday, but when I went recently for some Cavalier seats for a s10, the choices of older trucks was slim at all the yards.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:55 AM   #6
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Buy all the parts you need.
Only two aftermarket items. Spindles and rotors.
CPP has the best price on rotors.
Buy them and your 63-70 conversion spindles thru Summit Racing.
Everything else is available locally.
I feel like I've answered this question 1000 times.
No need to use donor parts.
Conversion spindles are a direct bolt on to balljoints and tie rods.
Spindles are available in stock height or drop for about $229.

I seem like the only person on this site trying to get the word out.
I did my first disc brake swap in the mid 80's.
I've done several of them.
The conversion spindles save using WORE out 71-87 parts.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:08 AM   #7
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

The link belows is for a pair of CPP rotors.
McGaughys wants this price for EACH.
This is the best deal.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cl...FRCGaQod8UwHcQ

Drop spindles are now $234.
Standard spindles are now $239.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...rder=Ascending

Like I said,... buy them from a reputable CPP deal.
NOT from CPP directly or thru ebay.
You can read about those deals in the review section of the board.
Most not good.

Convert to disc brakes.

Last edited by lolife99; 12-17-2015 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:13 AM   #8
Mike C

I agree with Lolife99. You want the other parts (ball joints, tie rods, etc.) to be same year as truck to make it easy to get from local parts store.

But the spindle and rotor are going to be special order parts no matter how you look at it.

If you are rebuilding everything, doesn't matter much what year it is as long as you get all the right pars and know what to buy in the future.

I bought the Early Classic disc kit for my truck, and was happy to pay for their service and the fact I didn't have to run around looking for something that wasn't included. And I was lowering and was getting springs as well.

That said, if my truck didn't have just 66k miles on it and everything needed replacing I would have considered the newer truck pieces since they are more likely to be in stock. But not my daily driver so not important to me.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:24 AM   #9
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
I agree with Lolife99. You want the other parts (ball joints, tie rods, etc.) to be same year as truck to make it easy to get from local parts store.

But the spindle and rotor are going to be special order parts no matter how you look at it.

If you are rebuilding everything, doesn't matter much what year it is as long as you get all the right pars and know what to buy in the future.

I bought the Early Classic disc kit for my truck, and was happy to pay for their service and the fact I didn't have to run around looking for something that wasn't included. And I was lowering and was getting springs as well.

That said, if my truck didn't have just 66k miles on it and everything needed replacing I would have considered the newer truck pieces since they are more likely to be in stock. But not my daily driver so not important to me.
Sure you can switch to 71-72 or 73-87 parts,... but you need to get the centerlink, because both years are specific to the inner tie rods.
These centerlinks are not reproduced. So you have to find a good original version.
The other option is to use a $50-$60 tie rod adapter, and mix and match tie rods to connect to the year spindle you choose.
The suspension industry has fixed this issue and most choose to ignore it and think they have to use 71-87 parts.

The last used/new spindles I bought off the board were $100.
Very good price,... but the seller included shipping and it ended up being $50 to ship them to me. So he basically gave away his spindles.
Summit Racing has free shipping on items over $50.
That's another plus.

I also use to use ECE for disc brake conversion hoses.
But member leddzepp has figured out you just need to use 1978 Camaro hoses, NAPA #36616.
This board is great for info.

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:57 PM   #10
Kyle70SWB

ok now that you 2 have totally confused me lol..

if I were to order control arms, spindles, tie rods, center link, idler, pitman, rotors, calipers, etc.. a complete front suspension and steering setup, what year/model/etc would I get?

I work for a dealership, and get amazing discounts on certain things at oreilly/autozone/napa/etc.

the ONLY parts I would even consider from a junkyard are control arms.. I can get spindles when I make a final decision on how much I want to lower the truck, and what wheel/tire setup I use.

oh, and I do NOT want to pull the k member/crossmember/ or anything of that nature..

I want to stay 6 lug, and have disc brakes with a booster
Old 12-16-2015, 04:08 PM   #11
leftybass209

A complete donor front end can be found on ANY 1973-1987 Chevrolet pickup.

FWIW complete setups that you purchase from places like POL don't have some exclusively engineered ball joints and rotors that can only be purchased through them. They've done the same thing you're considering. They pieced together "parts store" stuff from wherever they deemed suitable. They just sell it in a kit, and to make it less confusing, they don't say '76 ball joints, '85 spindles, '81 rotors and crap like that, because it does indeed, get confusing.

A company like CPP may have some exclusive brackets and spindles, but the wear items like pads, rotors, ball joints are all just some parts store factory item.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:14 PM   #12
leftybass209

It looks as though you are trying to make things more complicated than it needs to be. The stricter you make your stipulations, the more difficult it becomes to suggest things.

Your center link is the most crucial part. It HAS to be correct, and is NOT something that can be purchased over the counter, they just aren't reproduced. Picking spindles last seems to be a backwards way of doing things.

The reason kits are created is to prevent people scratching their heads mixing and matching parts. Chances are even if you purchase the "right" parts from the auto parts store, something will still be wrong.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:17 PM   #13
kehstr

You guys obviously haven't done this sort of thing on a budget! You need the lower control arm, spindle, hub and brake rotor assemble, caliper, and brake lines off a pre 87. The tie rod ends are different, so while you are in there, you might as well just buy new ones and replace them, replace the balljoints while you are there also. You will definitely need a brake booster. But you will not want the 1/2 ton vacuum booster, they don't work very well. If you are adding power steering, you could put a hydroboost system in, and then you will actually be able to stop. Here is a link to help you with hydroboost if you go that route.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=523502
kehstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:18 PM   #14
Mike C

Lolife99 laid out how you could do it on the cheap.

Just buy the conversion spindles from ECE. Don't buy any of the other parts. Source rotors and bearings from Summit, get the Camaro brake lines mentioned above. Move on down the road. The conversion spindles will use all the OEM joints, bushings and tierods for the year of your truck.

Everybody is on a budget. For me, a little more money up front is better than days or weeks with the truck down. Time is the budget in that case. Choose your poison...

In the end, the conversion kit is a pretty good value I thought. Yes, you can source the parts separately but you are paying for their time and money.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 08:59 AM   #15
Kyle70SWB

I am not sure how much I want to lower it, which is why I mentioned spindles last.

Right now it is just a parts collection until the time comes.

lefty, are you talking centerlink, or k member?
Old 12-17-2015, 10:00 AM   #16
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle70SWB View Post
I am not sure how much I want to lower it, which is why I mentioned spindles last.

Right now it is just a parts collection until the time comes.

lefty, are you talking centerlink, or k member?
There are so many ways to do this swap,... that's why you are getting so many answers.
There is no need to swap the crossmember itself. I've never liked this idea.
There is no need for lower a-arms unless you are converting from 3/4-ton to 1/2-ton. 3/4-ton a-arms have a larger balljoint hole.

There is also 3 ways to do the disc brake install:
1) just get the disc brakes on using ALL used part.
2) Install disc brakes with new parts
3) Or rebuild the front end while you have everything apart.

YOU have to decide what you want to do.

Rebuilding the front suspension is not cheap if you use good QUALITY parts.
balljints, tierod ends, a-arm cross shafts, idler arm, and piutman arm.
Add up all these parts and see where you are at.
I did this in 2004 and had close to $600 in parts.

At a minimum you need?
1) some type of disc brake spindle
2) Dust shields- some run them some dont.
These are the only two parts I would use from a donor truck.

NEW PARTS:
3) 71-87 HD rotors. This is the 1-1/4" wide version. NOT the 1" light duty version found in some 81-87 trucks
4) HD bearings. One bearing is different on the LD version, so make sure you get the correct ones.
5) HD calipers for the 1-1/4 rotors. The LD version is different.
6) brake hoses. I still recommend the ECE conversion hoses or the NAPA number I listed above. 71-72 hoses will work, but you will need an adapter on one hose.
Same with the 73-87 hose, except they are MUCH longer.
7) I recommend a 71-72 master cylinder and proportioning valve or equivilent aftermarket parts.
8) you will be require to make up at least two steel brake lines to connect the prop valve to your current brake lines.

I don't know how to spell it out any easier.

The 63-70 conversion spindles will always be my 1st choice since they DO NOT require balljoint or tie rod changes.
71-72 spindles will require a 71-72 centerlink to make things easier. Along with 71-72 tierods.
73-87 spindles will require a 73-87 centerlink to make things easier, along with 73-87 tierods.
You choose what you want to do.

6-lug rotors from CPP are the cheapest.
There are more expensive options from ECE, McGaughy's, and others.

Everyone starts their thread with, "I want disc brakes and want to keep it 6-lug".
Just remember, if you are running pre-71 steel wheels, they will no longer work, because they don't have the clearance for the disc brake caliper.
You will need to use 71-87 6-lug steelies up front.

Good Luck with your buid.

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:11 AM   #17
Kyle70SWB

I plan to buy all new parts.. its a 45 year old truck, and I don't know what kind of crap parts the P.O. put on it. It is plainly obvious they half a$$ed moving the shifter to the floor..

as I said, I get a hefty discount at the local parts stores..

but I am trying to avoid using a mixture of parts from multiple years. I don't want to make a list of each front end part and what it is for when it needs replacing down the road

I like the hydraboost option since I want power steering as well.

In my mind, I expect someone to say "Hey Kyle, go to Oreilly, and buy a complete front suspension and steering components from a 19xx (model)"

I have no problem purchasing the parts from any of these "conversion companies" if that is the best option, but if I need a tie rod end, I want to be able to go pick one up locally and know what vehicle it is a match to.

maybe I am over complicating my explination, but with my ADHD, and my attention span, sometimes that happens.

bottom line..

do I keep stock control arms, or do they get changed?

I want the ENTIRE steering/suspension from ONE year/make/model truck
Old 12-17-2015, 10:17 AM   #18
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

You can keep your control arms.
They are the same from 63-72.
Conversion spindles wil allow you to keep the rest of your truck original 1970 parts.

If you want everything 71-72 buy all those parts.
But you will need a used 71-72 centerlink.

If you want all 73-87 parts use those parts.
The a-arms are different (rubber bushings), but 73-87 balljoints will fit in your a-arms.
You would also need to locate a used 73-87 centerlink.

You HAVE to run a disc brake master cylinder and prop valve.

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:29 AM   #19
Kyle70SWB

so a "conversion spindle" will let me run to oreilly and grab parts for a 70 c10?

if I can keep everything year specific, it would be so much easier.

I see that a drag/center link for 73-87 is a hard find after jumping over to google, which defeats me on going down to oreilly for it lol
Old 12-17-2015, 10:37 AM   #20
Kyle70SWB

70 didn't offer disc brakes correct?

Buying a conversion kit puts me back to square 1, where I don't want to be..

if a caliper fails, I would have to get another from www.whateversite.com
Old 12-17-2015, 10:46 AM   #21
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Are you reading what I'm writing?
conversion spindles allows you to keep all your suspension and steering parts 1970.

Since the 63-70 trucks were DRUM brake only,... you cannot buy disc brake rotors or calipers for a 1970 truck.
But the 71-72 parts will work fine on a set of conversion spindles.
You can't keep everything the same and switch to disc brakes.
Some parts will need to be from a different year.
This includes the M/C and prop valve.

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:48 AM   #22
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

I didn't suggest you buy a "conversion kit"
JUST the spindles.
I posted a link above to show you what I was talking about.

AND since we are talking kits,... companies like www.earlyclassic.com don't assemble some exotic kit of parts.
They assemble everything from "off the shelf parts" to make it easy for the consumer.

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:19 PM   #23
leftybass209

Quote:
Buying a conversion kit puts me back to square 1, where I don't want to be..
if a caliper fails, I would have to get another from www.whateversite.com
Where are you getting this info from? Both lowlife and myself said some kits don't have magic exclusive 1 company made only parts.

Lowlife has been accurate with the information he's given. You don't want a kit, we get it. So, go back, re-read the information he posted.

It seems you need to write a list of every component on the front end. Get on the O'Reilly website and search every part for a given year. Then, search another year. See what matches up for yourself if that helps you make sense of it.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:45 PM   #24
Kyle70SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Are you reading what I'm writing?
conversion spindles allows you to keep all your suspension and steering parts 1970.

Since the 63-70 trucks were DRUM brake only,... you cannot buy disc brake rotors or calipers for a 1970 truck.
But the 71-72 parts will work fine on a set of conversion spindles.
You can't keep everything the same and switch to disc brakes.
Some parts will need to be from a different year.
This includes the M/C and prop valve.
I AM... but information overload is confusing lol

so, in theory, my steering and suspension would be from a 71-72, everything EXCEPT spindles, and m/c.

right? 71 calipers, rotors, ball joints, idler, pitman, tie rods, etc
Old 12-17-2015, 01:21 PM   #25
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
I AM... but information overload is confusing lol

so, in theory, my steering and suspension would be from a 71-72, everything EXCEPT spindles, and m/c.

right? 71 calipers, rotors, ball joints, idler, pitman, tie rods, etc
71-72 trucks were disc brake from the factory.
So ALL 71-72 parts can be used to do your disc brake install.
Including the spindles and m/c.

I'm going to get out of this thread and let someone else take over.
I'm obviously confusing you.
Read read read.
Also look at the tech articles at www.earlyclassic.com.
Tons of pics and info that will help you.
Good luck.

Convert to disc brakes.