The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2016, 11:52 AM   #26
vince1

Re: charging system

If your truck runs on after connecting the #1 to the ignition you may need to also add a diode. I had that problem years ago using one of those alternators on a Case tractor. IIRC I used a switch to excite it and then turned it off. I didn't know much about them at that time.

Just so no one wants to poke me in the eye with a sharp stick I leave my original wiring intact and just add to it. But even with a truck messed up and with an original wiring diagram in hand, it is usually not too hard to figure them out.

Some jurisdictions get quite picky when it comes to issuing antique or collector plates and if I move to the next province over I can anticipate having to put it back to original.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:42 PM   #27
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
Flea markets and pawn shops for tools and time for learning. You will get there with your truck. What makes things harder on a lot of these trucks is what previous owners have done. You just want to poke them in the eye with a sharp stick. Not knowing the sins of the past on the truck makes it real hard at times to give or get good solutions to problems.
Jimmy

hey PGSigns do you have any pics of how you ran your ground straps ? so i can see just where to run mine at ? it would be most helpful this way i could replicate yours ... i bought some grounding straps from ebay they are on the way and also some 8 AWG wire for the alt i also bought some heat shrink and some non covered connectors that i will use to crimp the wires together and solider together and then cover with the heat shrink . i also bought a junction post to ... so let me know if im on the right track ... and hopefully you have some pics of how and where to put my ground straps at thanks again for all your help and understanding .... Happy Truckin
WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:53 PM   #28
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince1 View Post
If your truck runs on after connecting the #1 to the ignition you may need to also add a diode. I had that problem years ago using one of those alternators on a Case tractor. IIRC I used a switch to excite it and then turned it off. I didn't know much about them at that time.

Just so no one wants to poke me in the eye with a sharp stick I leave my original wiring intact and just add to it. But even with a truck messed up and with an original wiring diagram in hand, it is usually not too hard to figure them out.

Some jurisdictions get quite picky when it comes to issuing antique or collector plates and if I move to the next province over I can anticipate having to put it back to original.
thank you Vince1 good info to know and thank you for taking the time to help me .... im sure that its annoying to try dealing with someone like me who cant read what you all are telling him and understand it right away . with out going into a big sobb story lets just say for medical reasons my last year of school was 4th grade . but i love classic trucks and hot rods . and i have already built a HP engine in my life too . just it took being hands on coaching from a friend . who is gone now . i couldent just read and do things .... i do better with visual best i can explain it ... anyway most of you here took the time to help me .. so thank you for that
Old 03-04-2016, 06:06 PM   #29
The Rocknrod

That aint right:
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:10 PM   #30
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
That aint right:
Rocknrod what is not right ? im trying to follow all of their instructions ... but explain to me what is not right
Old 03-04-2016, 06:12 PM   #31
The Rocknrod

Depending upon if you have a normal horn relay or not there are numerous pictures of how to wire a 12SI alternator:
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...ng&FORM=HDRSC2
Years ago I purchased a booklet on how to wire an automobile, I used to think it was FM.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:02 PM   #32
PGSigns

I'll look to see what I have for pictures.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:15 AM   #33
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Jimmy
thank you PGSigns
Old 03-11-2016, 10:17 PM   #34
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Jimmy
PGSigns were you able to find me some pics on where to put my grounds? & Also this is what I bought. Is this what you had in mind for me to use ? All stuff made in the USA
Attached Images