The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2016, 07:47 PM   #26
thunder71

Re: Looking for door retainer

Why not fabricate a new one and weld it to the cab where the original was...2 pieces of flat bar shaped like the other side with a hole in both...maybe weld a ear on it and drill some holes in the cab so you could plug weld it in or countersink the holes and drill and tap the holes..Its fixable.
69 C10 shortbed stepside SOLD
71 C10 custom deluxe long fleetside SOLD

Last edited by thunder71; 08-16-2016 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Wording
thunder71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:44 PM   #27
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60chevyjim View Post
its a shame that hardly any one is really paying attention to what part you are saying that you need.

someone that is cutting up a rusty or a junk cab can cut a piece out of the pillar and supply you with the part that you need .

I understood what part you meant when I first read it .
but I don't have a junk cab to cut the part out that you need.

anyone on here have a junk cab that can cut a chunk out of the door post
to help him fix his truck ????
what did I post a picture of above?
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:48 PM   #28
61K10

Funny---I could see what he needed and asked what year the piece was welded in the door jam. No response. easy fix. use the piece that ron posted and drill a couple of holes. bolt it on. So what year was it changed?

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:30 PM   #29
zach_carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61K10 View Post
Funny---I could see what he needed and asked what year the piece was welded in the door jam. No response. easy fix. use the piece that ron posted and drill a couple of holes. bolt it on. So what year was it changed?
Id also like to know. I need to do this also. Mine are my driver side just broke also!

LINK TO SUPER SNOOPY C10 BUILD---> http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=689283

1977 C10 SILVERADO HAWAIIAN BLUE, 5/5" DROP, LS6/4L80E

1976 CHEVY K5, 350/350, YUBA GOLD/SADDLE
zach_carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:05 PM   #30
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61K10 View Post
those were out of a 62 and my 64 has the newer style. so somewhere between there and there it changed.
ron
Old 08-16-2016, 11:14 PM   #31
64shortbox

I think the difficult part would be drilling a good size hole in the kick panel to access original mount. You would need to chisel out the remaining pieces that were spot welded to the door jamb then drill new mounting holes in the door jamb for the replacement mount and be able to reach in to attach the nuts. You would need to drill at least a hole big enough for a 2" electrical Knock Out Plug but most likely a hole big enough for a 3" electrical Knock Out Plug if you don't have a welder.

Something like this:

http://www.elliottelectric.com/Produ...px?v=GAR&c=708

Then to make it all look good afterwards you would have to cover both kick panel areas with carpet, FRP, textured plastic or upholstery. The PO of my truck had the kick panel areas upholstered over some fiber board. The first 2 pics show my truck as purchased which are the best pics showing the upholstered Kick Panels - they can hide any mods behind them. Personally I would have carpeted them. The next pics just show a slow progression of the stuff I've done since purchased and I'm still not done. I just wanted to show what a little upholstery can hide.
Attached Images

64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:22 PM   #32
jtrichard

As I said before I would use the 60/63 bolt in style and weld them to the face of the jam (UNLESS you are building a museum piece ) rather than butcher the post to put in nuts or the 64/66 style bracket
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:46 AM   #33
64shortbox

jtrichard,
Very good point indeed. Also if he doesn't have access to a welder he could use Riv Nuts, or Nut Serts or any other brand of threaded inserts and bolt them that way. A couple of Button Head 1/4 X 20 bolts would finish it off nicely - barely noticeable.

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Surebonder-85...SIN=B0003J2B5A

Along with these:

https://www.amazon.com/ZILONG%C2%AE-...SIN=B01D8D2IYQ

Easily obtainable from, Amazon, eBay, Fastenal, Grainger, Mc Master-Carr etc.

I guess it's what a person has at hand or what he can get his hands on, what his preferences are, and what his abilities are. The more ideas tossed out the more choices to choose from. Personally I think your idea of mounting the bracket on the outside of the door jamb would be the easiest & fastest and if no welder was available use threaded inserts.
64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:12 AM   #34
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by phraza View Post
A little bit off topic, but does anyone know if you can get shorter retainer bars? My doors open too wide and hit the front fender
this is what happens to the rubber on the ends. they crack up and deteriate and fall off then it has more travel and goes to far and that is when the problems happen

ron