The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2019, 09:00 PM   #26
03BlkZ

Re: Where do I even start

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
Post a SPID pic
Here is a pic of the SPID. Hope its big enough to read.

03BlkZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:11 PM   #27
03BlkZ

Well I went to mom and dafs this morning to get a good lool over the truck. Good news is the floor pand are not rusted out and only the passenger rocker panel will need to be replaced. There is a spot in the bed floor that had about 4 holes from rust and there is a support heam underneath the holes that is rusted out. Not too bad. Dad decided he wanted to take the bed off and start doing some body work. I guess we are going further into this than I originally thought. That is fine with me. He will start working on the bed while I start working on the mechanicals starting in the rear. New springs, shocks, wiring, brake lines, bushings and brakes are going to be in order as well as a rear end rebuild. I'm going to have my hands full but its going to be fun getting to take this on with my dad. I need to do more research on what rear end I have and where to buy rebuild parts. Also a lot of research on brakes. Also will need to clean up the frame somehow and paint it. I was thinking a wire brush wheel might work pretty good to clean the frame. Any ideas here? Here are a couple of pics from today.

Old 12-17-2019, 11:00 AM   #28
drewbert41

Do a search for posts on POR 15.
drewbert41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:20 PM   #29
cornerstone

For the love of all that is even remotely holy please do yourself a favor and keep it original, at least until its up and running. That paint will have the absolute perfect patina after the CLR treatment. Just get her shining, meticulously clean the interior, and engine compartment then do a full fluid swap, empty the gas tank before you try to start it up, make sure it runs, shifts and stops well. If you still have time to work on it before you go back to work then address any rubber that needs replacing, like door seals and cab bushings.

You have a special truck there for sure. Not just because of the obvious rarity and condition of the truck, but the chance to do this with the man who put all the miles on it. I have no idea about the relationship you have with your dad, but I'd give my eye teeth to have had that chance.

Such a great truck man...

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:43 PM   #30
03BlkZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
For the love of all that is even remotely holy please do yourself a favor and keep it original, at least until its up and running. That paint will have the absolute perfect patina after the CLR treatment. Just get her shining, meticulously clean the interior, and engine compartment then do a full fluid swap, empty the gas tank before you try to start it up, make sure it runs, shifts and stops well. If you still have time to work on it before you go back to work then address any rubber that needs replacing, like door seals and cab bushings.

You have a special truck there for sure. Not just because of the obvious rarity and condition of the truck, but the chance to do this with the man who put all the miles on it. I have no idea about the relationship you have with your dad, but I'd give my eye teeth to have had that chance.

Such a great truck man...
I'm with you on what you are saying but I am leaving the decisions on how far we take it up to my dad. We decided to take on this project so he and I could have something to do together. He and my brother have their hunting and fishing. I am a car guy and have always wanted this truck in the future. My dad and I have a great relationship and I am very fortunate to be able to take this on with him. I just want him to be able to enjoy this truck for many more years rather it be getting it running and driving or working on a bigger project. In the end I am happy. Just didn't want to see it sitting in the shop untouched and collecting junk any longer.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:58 PM   #31
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BlkZ View Post
I'm with you on what you are saying but I am leaving the decisions on how far we take it up to my dad. We decided to take on this project so he and I could have something to do together. He and my brother have their hunting and fishing. I am a car guy and have always wanted this truck in the future. My dad and I have a great relationship and I am very fortunate to be able to take this on with him. I just want him to be able to enjoy this truck for many more years rather it be getting it running and driving or working on a bigger project. In the end I am happy. Just didn't want to see it sitting in the shop untouched and collecting junk any longer.
I get what Cornerstone was trying to recommend. Focus on cleaning up what's there before starting ANY paint/priming (especially on exterior surfaces of the panels) & plan it out from there. You said it yourself.... You're the car guy; he's the hunter. Help him understand the 'why' of your suggestions. If he doesn't care, then you made the preservation effort regardless.

Wire wheels on a drill work well for stripping the frame/suspension parts. They also sell a DIY sandblast set-up now the uses water-pressure w/sand media for road grime clean-up. Google 'Dustless Blasting' after the CLR process. And.... White or Lt Gray Scotch-Brite pads for the painted surfaces; 0000 steel wool for trim for the CLR process.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:26 PM   #32
03BlkZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I get what Cornerstone was trying to recommend. Focus on cleaning up what's there before starting ANY paint/priming (especially on exterior surfaces of the panels) & plan it out from there. You said it yourself.... You're the car guy; he's the hunter. Help him understand the 'why' of your suggestions. If he doesn't care, then you made the preservation effort regardless.

Wire wheels on a drill work well for stripping the frame/suspension parts. They also sell a DIY sandblast set-up now the uses water-pressure w/sand media for road grime clean-up. Google 'Dustless Blasting' after the CLR process. And.... White or Lt Gray Scotch-Brite pads for the painted surfaces; 0000 steel wool for trim for the CLR process.
Don't get me wrong here. My dad is a car guy also and recently retired from a 42 year career in automotive paint and body. If he wants to do body an paint work I am more than happy letting him do it.
Old 12-17-2019, 03:56 PM   #33
SCOTI

Quote:
Don't get me wrong here. My dad is a car guy also and recently retired from a 42 year career in automotive paint and body. If he wants to do body an paint work I am more than happy letting him do it.
Understood. That additional background info makes a HUGE difference vs. someone slingin' a rattle can w/o understanding things.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 05:39 PM   #34
dz1087

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo142 View Post
To keep it fun and to not get burned out work on one area at a time and keep the truck operable. Get it running then stopping. Then maybe one side floor board rust repair. Then you and pops can take it for a ride and enjoy it while your working on it. If it’s totally torn apart it gets really expensive and no reward of driving it, that is overwhelming and will burn you guys out. My .02$
100% agree.

We got our truck in January, drove it off the trailer and in to the garage and started tearing apart. Been frustrating seeing a partially built truck out there ever since. Finally starting to put things back on the cab and the frame/drive train is almost completely reassembled. Actually just got the exhaust in today.

It would have been much more fun to do it piecemeal and be able to enjoy driving it over the past several months.
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:17 AM   #35
cornerstone

Quote:
Ok. Glad to hear more perspective. What an awesome opportunity for the both of yall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post

Well said! Thanks SCOTI....

Quote:
Wow! This really opens up some serious possibilities... Lots of pictures please! (although maybe a bit smaller?)

How about setting up a build thread?
Brian

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 04:57 PM   #36
03BlkZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
Ok. Glad to hear more perspective. What an awesome opportunity for the both of yall!

Well said! Thanks SCOTI....

Wow! This really opens up some serious possibilities... Lots of pictures please! (although maybe a bit smaller?)

How about setting up a build thread?
Brian
I will try and set up a build thread once we really get moving.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:16 PM   #37
03BlkZ

Here is a quick update. I now have the frame cleaned and treated. I have been working on the front end and now have everything to heat the control arms and steering components back on. I also have a disc brake system I bought for the front as well as brake lines. I alsopicked up some 15x8 rally wheels today that I am going to steip down and refinish. Dad has been working on the bed still a little at a time but we are still having a great time doong this together.
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2020, 09:53 PM   #38
vitamin_c95

Looking good. Keep at it
Old 03-23-2020, 09:08 PM   #39
03BlkZ

Here is another quick update. Got most of the front end put back together minus brake lines and steering components. My CPP disc brake kit I got from summit fit beautifully with no issues or mods required. I'm starting to get excited. Also I am very happy to report that my 15x8 rally wheels clear everything great.
Attached Images