The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2020, 08:06 PM   #26
68Gold/white

Re: 1-wire alternator question

I saw some mentions here of a functioning amp gauge here. They don't tell enough about a charging system, to me. There's a member here that sells volt meter conversions. I don't know if he has any on hand at the moment. User name is TBONE1964. I bought 2 from him...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:24 PM   #27
mr48chev

Re: 1-wire alternator question

The 915 wire serves no viable purpose the way that wiring diagram is drawn. Even if the wire was supposed to go to a volt meter it still has to be able to be turned off by the ignition switch when the key is shut off.

I saw one wire alternators on farm equipment with magnitos a long time before street rodders decided that one wire was cleaner than two or three and that is the only reason anyone actually runs them on a street driven hotrod, pickup or custom car. Less wires to deal with and a one wire alternator is worth about five bubba points.

To me they are just one of those things that guys think they have to have to be part of the "cool guy" brigade when a regular alternator of the same frame and decent output might be far better in the long run even if you have two or three wires running back to the connection box rather than one.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote