The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: If you had the option, which of these grills would you use?
Original 66 painted grill 1 20.00%
64-66 C60 painted grill 2 40.00%
an original aluminum grill that needs to be restored 2 40.00%
the repo aluminum grill that is now available 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2020, 01:20 PM   #1
pdxhall

Re: pdx-sanity66

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
Coming together.
Thanks, I've got most of the parts ready to install. I'm making sure it all fits together, then finish body work and hopefully get her painted, The hood is a big project and I still have the inside door bottoms. I am planning on a white roof so that will be the first priority to get painted so I can get the front and rear glass installed.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:48 PM   #2
0ldSoul

Looks great, nice work!
0ldSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 04:29 PM   #3
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldSoul View Post
Looks great, nice work!
Thanks you sir. I see your from the NW. Oregon or Washington? I'm formerly from Portland. I moved to Tucson 3 years ago but still have many friends and family up there.

! got all of the welding done on the hood and started smoothing things up this morning. Our Tucson heat wave ran me out of the garage at noon temp of 102.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:38 PM   #4
0ldSoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
Thanks you sir. I see your from the NW. Oregon or Washington? I'm formerly from Portland. I moved to Tucson 3 years ago but still have many friends and family up there.

! got all of the welding done on the hood and started smoothing things up this morning. Our Tucson heat wave ran me out of the garage at noon temp of 102.
We're currently stationed in East Washington but we've also lived in Portland for a few years. Beautiful place up here, no doubt; but I'm not opposed to exploring some more. Before Washington we lived in Colorado and the Rocky Mountains were our backyard, that was killer! How do you like the desert?

Sorry to get off subject, the work on the hood looks good though, I got some areas on our truck I need to get around to myself....
0ldSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:00 AM   #5
88Stanger

damn Pdxhall, very nice work!! you are a craftsman. I to learn from your body work pics here, i am way off of your work, but trying. damn nice job.
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:45 PM   #6
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
damn Pdxhall, very nice work!! you are a craftsman. I to learn from your body work pics here, i am way off of your work, but trying. damn nice job.
That's a great compliment considering I've been in awe of your frame and suspension work since day one. Thanks so much.

I've got the hood brace and front nose replacement done for now, the underside needs to be painted and a lot more sanding, priming, repeat, repeat....on the front side. It's just too hot to paint right now with our heat wave we've having right now. The hood hinges/springs and latches are ready and waiting.
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2020, 08:42 PM   #7
pdxhall

Since it is too hot to paint right now, I've been working on some other projects to get to the point that I can drive this thing. I pulled out the cab lights that have been in storage waiting for their day since I restored them. I made some new gaskets for the bottoms and set them on the roof of Sanity to see if I still liked them. I do. Any opinions or comments are welcome. I've also been working on my trans temp gauge and getting it mounted. I'll post some pics tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2020, 08:53 PM   #8
roll_the_dice

Nice work! Love the lights. Reminded me that my dad had them on one of his trucks back in the day.
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:49 PM   #9
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
Nice work! Love the lights. Reminded me that my dad had them on one of his trucks back in the day.
Thanks for looking. I liked them because they are painted not chrome and I think their shape is cool. The center light is slightly different than the outer 2 and apparently came that way as the set as the original pic shows.

Old 06-08-2020, 10:49 AM   #10
clemdaddy

Nice job on the hood. They can be tough to get just right. I couldn't tell but it looked like you filled the seams on the front. If so, how did you do it?

Big fan of the cab lights. And the bed looks great too...
clemdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:22 PM   #11
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemdaddy View Post
Nice job on the hood. They can be tough to get just right. I couldn't tell but it looked like you filled the seams on the front. If so, how did you do it?

Big fan of the cab lights. And the bed looks great too...
Thanks man, I did fill the seams. Mig welded everything up, ground it down, and smoothed things up with a skim coat of filler. I've still got some work to do on the front side.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:18 PM   #12
pdxhall

Today I installed the hood hinges and springs. I also finished polishing the housing for my trans temp gauge, put it all together and installed it under the dash. It still needs to be wired up as soon as I get a sender for it.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2020, 12:18 PM   #13
pdxhall

I had an accident with the clearance lights I planned on using. After carrying these things around with me for years I dropped one of the lens and broke it. If somebody has an extra one lying around that they'll part with I would pay a fair price for it. pics of the lens for match up.
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2020, 07:04 AM   #14
The Rocknrod

Cool housing you found. The whole thing is coming together nicely.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 11:44 AM   #15
pdxhall

Thanks, it's been a long time but Sanity is finally close to being complete, except for paint. The housing was originally a clock that sat on the dash and I was going to just restore the clock but then I got to thinking....also, I knew it was cast aluminum so I decided to polish it rather than paint.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2020, 04:28 PM   #16
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Looking great buddy! I love that little housing.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:14 PM   #17
pdxhall

I installed my seats and I'm working on my Craftsman tool box center console.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2020, 02:25 PM   #18
cwcarpenter98

That's a cool idea for the center console. Maybe add some cup holders off the front of it?

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, Muncie 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350 --> Soon to be 350, Saginaw 4 speed

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:55 PM   #19
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
Looking great buddy! I love that little housing.
Thanks Cort. I couldn't pass it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
That's a cool idea for the center console. Maybe add some cup holders off the front of it?
Thanks. I removed the piano hinge and reinforce the side a little and then hinge it so it tips back but won't be noticeable. i've got all the original hardware to put back on. Fun project so far. I hope it works out. I've been thinking on the cup holders. got to be there somewhere.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:36 AM   #20
LT7A

Wow, this is quite a saga. I read your thread over the last couple of days and I'm very impressed. You have a calm way of going about the work you're doing and learning the necessary skills. The truck reflects your insistent efforts and is the quality of a project built by a good shop. I will enjoy following along now.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:09 PM   #21
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Wow, this is quite a saga. I read your thread over the last couple of days and I'm very impressed. You have a calm way of going about the work you're doing and learning the necessary skills. The truck reflects your insistent efforts and is the quality of a project built by a good shop. I will enjoy following along now.
WOW, thank you so much. you're comments mean a lot. There are only a handful of people that have seen Sanity in person and I am really proud how it's turning out. Things have slowed down a bit the last few weeks because of the heat wave we're having down here. I haven't had a chance to get some painting done on some critical parts right now and I'm waiting on new wheels to arrive.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:52 PM   #22
pdxhall

I've been a little quiet for a couple of weeks but I've got a few things done. There's something I've been avoiding talking about because I feel like a fool for what happened. It started back when I was first firing up Sanity for the first times. I was running straight off of the manifolds so it was very limited and I needed to get some sort of exhaust on to continue running the engine. For some reason I was very reluctant to do it myself....so I did some research and trusted Sanity to a local exhaust shop. This is the first thing I have trusted to anybody to work on my truck except for the upholstery on the seats. Well, I got the job done, and you guessed it, it sucked. It didn't look so bad from the underside and I still had the old plywood bed on. When I took the bed off to replace it is when I got a real good look at the work. I can't live with it this way but I won't go in to details now. So I've torn most of the exhaust out and I'm in the process of buiding my own 2 1/2" exhaust. Two steps forward one step back.

Old 08-12-2020, 09:07 PM   #23
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
I've been a little quiet for a couple of weeks but I've got a few things done. There's something I've been avoiding talking about because I feel like a fool for what happened. It started back when I was first firing up Sanity for the first times. I was running straight off of the manifolds so it was very limited and I needed to get some sort of exhaust on to continue running the engine. For some reason I was very reluctant to do it myself....so I did some research and trusted Sanity to a local exhaust shop. This is the first thing I have trusted to anybody to work on my truck except for the upholstery on the seats. Well, I got the job done, and you guessed it, it sucked. It didn't look so bad from the underside and I still had the old plywood bed on. When I took the bed off to replace it is when I got a real good look at the work. I can't live with it this way but I won't go in to details now. So I've torn most of the exhaust out and I'm in the process of buiding my own 2 1/2" exhaust. Two steps forward one step back.
Sorry to hear about your exhaust. I just went yesterday to talk to a shop about exhaust. Like you no one has done anything to my truck but me. Now I am apprehensive. I hate to have anyone else do anything to my truck.

I hope you get your exhaust on soon and you will be better off for having done it yourself.

Love the new wheels!
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:40 PM   #24
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
Sorry to hear about your exhaust. I just went yesterday to talk to a shop about exhaust. Like you no one has done anything to my truck but me. Now I am apprehensive. I hate to have anyone else do anything to my truck.

I hope you get your exhaust on soon and you will be better off for having done it yourself.

Love the new wheels!
Thanks, I'm a lot more pleased with it already. I would make sure the the shop uses mandrel bent tubing. That's just my opinion after this adventure.
I'm hoping to get some tires mounted on the wheels very soon. If anybody has any suggestions or favorites I would welcome them.

Old 08-10-2020, 11:05 PM   #25
cwcarpenter98

Dang, that sucks about the exhaust. I too have a not so great looking exhaust. It's something that I've wanted to do myself, just gotta find the time to do it. Your welding skills are better than mine though, so I'm sure it won't be too hard for you

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, Muncie 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350 --> Soon to be 350, Saginaw 4 speed

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote