The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-04-2012, 02:18 AM   #51
MikeS.

Re: It was fun while it lasted, but the party is over!!

No, not an abnormal amount of time.
Triluminar Lodge #117 GL of WVa

My 1963 4x4 Suburban build;
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=531274

My Gallery, now with pics of my 1966 C30 motorhome.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...&ppuser=103447
MikeS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:03 AM   #52
Delmo

Such a bummer man. Really cool that you walked away though. She'll be back on the road before ya know it.
Delmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:46 AM   #53
WTexChevy

That timeline for the insurance company seems pretty normal. If you're dealing with the other guys insurance, which may be a commercial type since it was a front end loader, they may drag their feet a bit. Call them every day! Be a pain in the ass! It's your right.

I have Hagarty on my Saleen and I know that you declare a value and if it's a total loss they cut you a check... pretty simple. I had a busted windshield and gave them an estimate including the banner decals, etc. and they just cut me a check. No pics, no adjuster, nothing. Just a phone call and a check. They may have an adjuster involved if theres a total loss but they seemed super easy to work with! Good luck and keep your chin up!
WTexChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #54
63burban4x4

I agree, 2 weeks is not too long, but you should also be proactive....remain in contact with them, and remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Keep in mind these are mega-sized companies, handling vast numbers of claims at any given time, it can take a while. Just one word of caution (this comes from firsthand experience...make of it what you will...) if you tell them you are hiring a lawyer, they can, and will, refuse to have any further negotiations with you, so proceed to this level with caution! You gotta just let 'em do their thing, but keep 'em honest, and keep a calculated pressure on them. I've also found that COMPLETELY losing your cool, and having a nuclear meltdown with them, is not particularly helpful, although it may make you feel better. Keep a record of every conversation and contact. Good luck
63burban4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:08 PM   #55
XtechX

Well, I heard from the insurance company today! The buy back price for my truck is $2150.00. I got a little sick to my stomach when they told me that price and also that it wasn't negotiable! I've been looking at a 1964 chevy c20that is in really nice "rust free" condition, and was counting on using my front and rear suspension on.( To go from 8 to 5 lug disc) I was going to fix the tear in my fleet side box to replace the long stepper box on the potential new one. Also, I've got about $1800 into my engine. I know it seems like a no brainer to buy back my truck, but I was never impressed with my new engine and have since burned bridges with the engine builder, so really I'm not wanting to take it back to him to have him work on it. The potential new truck has a good 327 in it anyway. My nieghbor has a mid 80's chevy truck that I can get pretty cheap and use the front end out of it to convert to 5 lug discs, but not sure about the rear end, if it will fit right. Anyway, I'm kind of thinking that I might let the insurance company have it. What are your thoughts on this guys? I'm torn!
Old 07-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #56
jimmydean

If you will save at least that much buying it back, then I would. Otherwise, stick to your plan to build the new one. You won't have much issue with the newer rear end, they are close enough to make work with little effort.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #57
71swb4x4

Buyback is almost always a percentage of how much they give you, usually around 25% I think. The unfortunate part is that there is no way they will get $2,150 for it when they auction it off.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #58
gimmy 64

see what they offer you for the truck. if they give you alot it might not be to bad to buy it back. also remember the n.a.d.a. guide and the kelly gold book price for your truck. i had experiance with my 68 chevy panel truck that they were comparing price to a 68 chevy van. they said they did'nt have a gold book.
gimmy 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #59
FreakyMalo

You could buy it back, keep the parts you need, part out what you don't need and use the proceeds to build the other one.

Last edited by FreakyMalo; 07-09-2012 at 07:24 PM.
FreakyMalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #60
XtechX

They said that they wouldnt negotiate because they already had a bidder say that he would pay $2150 for it. They told me before that they would put it online for sale on an auction site and thats how they determine the buy back price. I figure, I can rebuild a new front end and rearend for less money than they want me to buy my truck back for. The potential new truck has a good motor and I should be able to find a good fleet sidebox, all below $2150. Right??? or Wrong?
Old 07-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #61
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

The insurance company’s story doesn’t make any sense to me. Claiming the wreckage of a 45+ year old truck has a value over $2,000 sounds insane. This is an insurance company not an antique car collecting environment. Stating they have a bidder already willing to pay $2,150 makes it sound like its’ someone in their office, not a legitimate source. I’d probably contact someone at the home office before accepting that the buy back is non-negotiable.

When my 67 Chevelle was wrecked back in the 80’s, the adjuster told me the buy back price was 10% of the settlement. He also told me the car was so beautiful and felt so bad about it being wrecked, I could have it back for free. I would expect similar treatment with your truck.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #62
XtechX

Well guys, I decided this morning that the insurance company wanted too much money to buy my truck back. I signed the title over and mailed it to them. It really sucks, it kinda feels like I turned my back on the Ol' girl. It was just too much money for a smashed truck. I'm bummin'!
Old 07-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #63
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

that they have a buyer seems like bs, that truck is totaled!!
try to figure out where they are reselling it, and you could probably get it cheap.

imo they should buy you the parts needed to fix it, and pay to have it fixed. if I remember from earlier in the thread this whole deal is not your fault, so why should you be responsible for replacing your truck.

pretty sure a friend of mine had hagerty, got hit by a mule deer in his 70 firebird, I bet he could have bought 2 restos for the $$ they spent fixing his, but he had sentimental value, so they fixed it 30K+ I believe.

Last edited by jonzcustomshop; 07-10-2012 at 06:25 PM.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #64
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

I'm sorry if I missed it, but if 2100 is buy back, what are they giving you to get another?
Posted via Mobile Device

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #65
XtechX

I had $15,000 agreed value on it, they would have just took $2150 off from the 15000.
So getting another vehicle is not really an issue, but I think it was too much for buy back. I'ts just a sentimental thing, and they could have been a bit more compassionate about it. But, I know bussiness is bussiness for them. Other than that they have treated me good, so far. The check isn't in my hand yet either.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #66
LostMy65

It stinks they are handling the buy back that way.

I'm glad you're atleast getting a settlement that you are okay with.

If you could have one thing off the truck, what would it be?
Posted via Mobile Device

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 07-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #67
XtechX

The engine or the box, I think?
Old 07-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #68
LostMy65

I was thinking of something they would see as not so significant, but meaningful to you.
For example; if my 65 was totaled, and the buy back was more than I wanted to spend, then I would ask for the ashtray - it's the only thing left of my customizations I did 28 or so years ago.

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 07-10-2012, 11:34 PM   #69
XtechX

I took the chevrolet glove box emblem. I had bought a chrome one and I didnt like it that bright so I painted the background black and left the chevrolet letters chrome. I thought that looked cool. I seen another guy on here do that in a thread. I think that one piece says it all.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #70
awbrown

you will have to find out what becomes of it , if they really have a buyer , or if it is going up for auction ,it would be neat to see where it ends up ...
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:03 PM   #71
Dustin07
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtechX View Post
I had $15,000 agreed value on it, they would have just took $2150 off from the 15000.
So getting another vehicle is not really an issue, but I think it was too much for buy back. I'ts just a sentimental thing, and they could have been a bit more compassionate about it. But, I know bussiness is bussiness for them. Other than that they have treated me good, so far. The check isn't in my hand yet either.
so I had never seen your truck before and at first thought $2100 was insane for one of these trucks (based upon the pics you supplied, I had no idea of the value of the truck, the engine, condition, etc) but if they had a value of $15k on it already, i'm guessing it was worth $2100.

sorry it didn't work out, I dont know how much money you had into it, but do you find a silver lining in having $15k to go shopping for a new rig with? (assuming thats how it worked out for you?)

people always ask me if I want to sell my truck and I'm like HECK NO!! but if someone stole it, I don't think I'd be to bummed to collect $$ and go shopping for the next Belle lol
Dustin07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #72
66clow

I'm a claims adjuster for one the big insurance companies. Generally companies have a contract with a salvage company and will guarantee a salvage estimate based on the value and damages. They then auction the truck off to other buyers. So that is where they are saying they have a buyer.
66clow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #73
nomrlz

glad the accident didn't turn out worse. sux you lost your baby but atleast you got a decent amount. i always worried they'd only want to give $2100 for one period.
99 Hayabusa 8.72 @ 162
00 Hayabusa 9.33 @ 153
nomrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #74
LostMy65

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomrlz View Post
glad the accident didn't turn out worse. sux you lost your baby but atleast you got a decent amount. i always worried they'd only want to give $2100 for one period.
I think it was the way he set his insurance up for a value he set.
I think if you don't set your insurance up for what you want, they give you the going value
- not sure how that's decided, but you may very well only get $2100 if you haven't set your insurance up for more.

Maybe someone else can clarify, but I'm pretty positive you'd never get $15,000 unless you have it set up that way.

This:
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtechX View Post
I had $15,000 agreed value on it...clip...

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 07-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #75
nomrlz

ah, i missed that part. i have that on the camaro and truck as well right now. once i was to start driving the truck everyday. i was going to have to drop the insured value. state farm only does that with vehicles driven less than 5000 miles a year i believe it is
99 Hayabusa 8.72 @ 162
00 Hayabusa 9.33 @ 153
nomrlz is offline   Reply With Quote