The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2013, 06:44 AM   #1
WadmalawJoe

Re: HEI distributor tuning problem

I ordered a limiter plate from Summit. They actually sell the little piece by itself for $3. Cost more to ship it...lol They also carry it in their stores.
I think it will get here in the next couple of days.

My youngest son and I picked up a 69 Chevy C-10 on 1/7/22, this is my second 69, it was 10 years ago that I had my other one. So I’m back!!!
WadmalawJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
WadmalawJoe

Alright, I got the limiter plate and installed it. I immediately went to the half way notch hoping to cut the advance in half after all the hassle its been giving me. Well, it didn't, I still had a full 20 degree advance and for some reason it was all in as soon as I plugged in the advance! I ended up switching to the heaviest springs and all the way to the last notch. That cut the advance by 6 degrees.
Right now I have the initial timing at +8 , then centrifugal/mechanical is +20, the advance at +14 totaling 43. The tapping/predetonation is gone and she runs fairly smooth. I want to do some more fine tuning because I think it can tweak it up a little. I'm waiting on some nicer weather, its been ugly lately.
I will post again when I get it fine tuned some more.

My youngest son and I picked up a 69 Chevy C-10 on 1/7/22, this is my second 69, it was 10 years ago that I had my other one. So I’m back!!!
WadmalawJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
Longhorn 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by WadmalawJoe View Post
Right now I have the initial timing at +8 , then centrifugal/mechanical is +20, the advance at +14 totaling 43. The tapping/predetonation is gone and she runs fairly smooth. I want to do some more fine tuning because I think it can tweak it up a little. I'm waiting on some nicer weather, its been ugly lately.
I will post again when I get it fine tuned some more.
Good going Joe. We are proud of you for getting this far. Let us know how the tuning goes.

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote