The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2014, 09:00 AM   #51
Kaysen

Re: Is this truck worth it?

It all boils down to if YOU want it for the price. I can only speak from my personal experience, but I looked for months to find the exact truck that I wanted (and I had a pretty lengthy list of must haves). When I found it I knew that for the quality (its a solid #8.5-9) of a truck that I was buying I couldn't buy a #5 and bring it to where mine is for the difference in initial purchase cost. I probably paid more than most might have (doesn't matter to me though because I got what I wanted) but I will say that this is the first square I've ever had that was a turn key driver and I absolutely love it! Granted there is satisfaction in building one yourself (and I am changing a few things here and there) but it sure is nice to just hop in and enjoy driving it.

With that being said. I feel that if the truck is a solid rust free truck and is as nice as it is described, regardless of the engine mishap (which COULD be an honest mistake) I would grab it if its what you want.
Kaysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:37 PM   #52
crashz

I'll share a recent story:

I recently bought my daily driver, a 2003 Mailbu, from an older gentleman who claimed it was his mother-in-law's car and he was selling due to her health. He really laid out a great story, lots of details, with plenty or heart breaking moments.

He also had an extensive list of work done to the car that he did or knew of.

It was all crap. Every word was a bold-face lie. It was apparent the it was acutally his daughter or son's car. The strong smell of pot, and Insane Clown Posse sticker was tough for him to explain. Blamed it on a previous owner (10 yrs and 100K miles previous).

Why did I buy it? It drove decently, shifted well, ran smooth, passed inspection, and was cheap. Easily $2000 less than comparible cars and many thousands less than Kelly BB. And I bought this car for a reason. I'll be driving into the heart of boston daily for a year. The body is a bit beat up, but I expect much worse with the commute.

So don't trust your seller. Some people will sell YOUR soul if they can.

My advice is to crawl underneath, inspect every corner. Does it look rusty? Painted over rust? Rough, dented patchy areas in the body? Holes anywhere? Does the transmission and t-case have 30 year old grime on them, or do they look like your Toyota? Does the build list in the glove box match the VIN and the options on the truck? Rebuilt components and low miles since would natureally asuume clean fluids. Take a look at those and see how each checks out.

For $12K, I'd pay $100 to a good local mechanic to come out with you and really inspect it with you. He may have some better ideas and will counter any back-peddling or side-stepping by the seller.

On the good side, you have a pile of receipts and the truck is a good looker. If all checks out to be awhat he says (minus the motor issue), its a good truck for a fair price.
crashz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:44 PM   #53
K5owner

I second that. Buy the truck not the story.
K5owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:02 PM   #54
bighog85

That is all very true. I'm just not a trusting person so when I catch someone in such a big lie, or whatever this is, I have a hard time seeing past that. I did get a hold of the dealer that he ordered the motor from and they confirmed that it is just a basic GM crate 350. I told the seller that and he assured me that he was going to make some calls, he was at least acting pissed so we'll see. I think it is just a bit disheartening too because I had my hopes so high for that motor. It is just a major let down. I haven't decided what to do yet. I know it is a nice truck and if the rest of it passes inspection then I know that it is worth the price. Just have to wrap my head around a much different motor than I expected.
bighog85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:14 PM   #55
K5owner

what is a couple of calls going to get him? So what good does it do for him to call them? What is done is done. I agree with you about the not trusting after the engine issue. But if it checks out it is a nice truck. Just not the one advertised.

Last edited by K5owner; 05-08-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:19 PM   #56
bighog85

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5owner View Post
what is a couple of calls going to get him? So what god does it do for him to call them? What is done is done. I agree with you about the not trusting after the engine issue. But if it checks out it is a nice truck. Just not the one advertised.
I wanted to tell him the same thing. It's not like he paid for a ZZ4 and didn't get it so I think he's just putting on a show.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:21 PM   #57
K5owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighog85 View Post
I wanted to tell him the same thing. It's not like he paid for a ZZ4 and didn't get it so I think he's just putting on a show.
Exactly. he didn't pay for a ZZ4 so what is the dealer going to do for him? At this point he may be possibly trying to save face.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:23 PM   #58
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighog85 View Post
In that truck, a HT383 would be a better choice anyway.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:54 PM   #59
bighog85

Quote:
Exactly. he didn't pay for a ZZ4 so what is the dealer going to do for him? At this point he may be possibly trying to save face.
That's what I'm thinking too. He seemed genuinely surprised but even so it would be embarrassing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
In that truck, a HT383 would be a better choice anyway.
That's what I'm debating with myself. Yes this truck is pretty much done except for the interior but would I rather just basically buy a shell and do exactly what I want to it? It would cost substantially more but maybe the finished product being perfect would be better. I don't know, I'm gonna over think this to death...
Old 05-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #60
K5owner

First what color interior? I know brown but how brown? Are we talking fawn color or caca brown? Keep in mind to do a complete color change properly to your OCD level (mine too BTW LOL) will be in the neighborhood of $1800. This includes a carpet kit($200), new door panels (OEM NOS $300), dash (OEM NOS $330), seat with new foam and vinyl/velour ($500) seat belts ($200), assorted trim ($300). I am not talking using SEM either or dye but replacing brown with another color and replacing it with quality plastic not made in china items. That on top of your desired power levels you want to obtain and you could be into this thing for $4K more then you bought it for conceivably. Again just estimates but something to consider. I like the truck personally but it has to be what YOU like and want. Don't compromise because that will just give you buyers remorse.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:39 PM   #61
bighog85

Quote:
First what color interior? I know brown but how brown? Are we talking fawn color or caca brown? Keep in mind to do a complete color change properly to your OCD level (mine too BTW LOL) will be in the neighborhood of $1800. This includes a carpet kit($200), new door panels (OEM NOS $300), dash (OEM NOS $330), seat with new foam and vinyl/velour ($500) seat belts ($200), assorted trim ($300). I am not talking using SEM either or dye but replacing brown with another color and replacing it with quality plastic not made in china items. That on top of your desired power levels you want to obtain and you could be into this thing for $4K more then you bought it for conceivably. Again just estimates but something to consider. I like the truck personally but it has to be what YOU like and want. Don't compromise because that will just give you buyers remorse.
The top and backrest of the seat is more light brown with the rest of the trim, dash, etc. being much darker. My idea for the seat is to do a whole new bench in a light gray trimmed in black with either a good vinyl or leather and then the dash and everything else in black and chrome. What does it take to do the dash and glove box area? That seems like a big job.

As far as the motor goes, I can live with that I think, maybe just doing the few mods that have been discussed here. It is still a brand new Chevy 350 which is nothing to complain about. Honestly, I probably wouldn't be having second thoughts if I had not gotten the ZZ4 thing stuck in my head. I went by and just poked around again and I noticed a tiny bit of rust on the frame rails. I looked at the spot you mentioned and did not see any cracks or bracing so I think it is good there. The body and paint did seem really solid though I forgot a magnet so I couldn't do any real testing. The only thing I don't like that he did is the exhaust. It is just a down pipe up by the rear axle. I would prefer that it exit at the back of the truck but that is an easy fix.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:40 PM   #62
K5owner

Sounds like you are ready to buy. Considering hides are about 50 square feet give or take and they go for about 6.50-8$ a sq foot you would need two hides to complete it in a dual color. So just for leather about $700 -$800 plus installation so figure about $1200 for the bench seat avg.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:02 AM   #63
chevymadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
With just a stock crate 350, new paint, cowl hood, rebuilt suspension (you did say all new minus the interior) and good tires etc. I'd say he is OK at the price of 13k. My issue is, I feel he is lying about what engine is in it. If he is willing to lie to you about that, what else is he stretching the truth on? I'd pass and tell him why. Might save the next guy some trouble or get the truth from him.
Lolz I'm not going to talk trash but spending 23k is stretched and he's playing a fool.Id offer 9k tops or leave the son of a b were it sits.

It's all about original guys original let me say again original.
chevymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:42 AM   #64
kalbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymadness View Post
Lolz I'm not going to talk trash but spending 23k is stretched and he's playing a fool.Id offer 9k tops or leave the son of a b were it sits.
Yea, at most. I'd leave it sit period. Seller is telling stories about the motor, what else? He either doesn't have a clue what he's got and wants to pretend he does or he knows exactly what he's got and wants to screw somebody into thinking its a big deal. Don't be a sucker, move on. To me, if he said it's a ZZ4 and it's not then he doesn't know what a ZZ4 is or he's hoping you don't. What else doesn't he know or hope you don't know?

Last edited by kalbert; 05-17-2014 at 08:55 AM.
kalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:18 AM   #65
chevymadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbert View Post
Yea, at most. I'd leave it sit period. Seller is telling stories about the motor, what else? He either doesn't have a clue what he's got and wants to pretend he does or he knows exactly what he's got and wants to screw somebody into thinking its a big deal. Don't be a sucker, move on. To me, if he said it's a ZZ4 and it's not then he doesn't know what a ZZ4 is or he's hoping you don't. What else doesn't he know or hope you don't know?
Eh,these old trucks from what I have experienced are sold for bs prices all around Texas.This almost reminds me of the times when I was searching for a truck 3 years ago and the trucks were rare.If you did were see one the guys wanted triple the amount.I remember I saw a black lifted Betsy of a truck and the guy insulted me with 20k pretty much telling me to leave the shop.ai don't care what crap engine is in this truck whoever buys it will spend double that fixing its abuse anyway.

It's all about original guys original let me say again original.
chevymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:37 PM   #66
midnight rambler

When i bought my truck, advertised at 8500. I drove it liked it went to the bank to get the cash. I pulled out 4000 in hundreds. The owners eyes got big, he said to low, his body language told me he was hungry for money.i asked the wife how much money she had, she said 250 then pulled out 300 lol. The owner grabbed the pink slip and signed his name. Love playing the game.
midnight rambler is offline   Reply With Quote