The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2007, 10:18 AM   #51
69TowRig

Re: When it comes to TRUCKS…what has been the dumbest thing you have ever done??

I bought my Blazer from a guy down in Corpus Christi, TX back when I lived in Houston. In December '04 a buddy of mine and I drove the 3 hours down to Corpus to drive the truck back; PO told me it would drive fine to get it back to Houston. He said all it needed was a battery.

So I bring a brand-new battery with me, try to crank it and it won't go. At that point I knew absolutely NOTHING about these trucks and saw that the gas gauge was pegged out full. So I do some checking and figure out that the fuel pump is not pumping. I go to the parts store and come back with a pump and new filter, changing them out and dumping a gallon or so of gas in the tank (and it starts spitting back at me). She starts up with a little fuel down the carb and I'm set. Take it for a drive around the block, it pulls sharply to the right when the brakes are applied. No biggie I think, it be all highway back to Houston anyway.

I get on the road and barely get outside of the downtown area and the thing sputters and dies on the side of the road. Mind you the gas gauge is still pegged out. I start checking for fuel issues (since the ignition was apparently working fine), end up dropping the tank and find that it is empty. Well I don't have a gas can with me, drive around for 30 minutes trying to find one in an unfamiliar place. Put 4 gallons in it and drove it back to the POs place with a promise to get it the following weekend. I came back with a truck and trailer that time.

I later figure out that the gas gauge is broken, only the left front brake worked, the water neck was corroded through, the heater core was just about to spring a BIG leak, the radiator was partially corroded inside, and the tank vent line was plugged. And I was going to drive it 3 hours back to Houston!
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...
69TowRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:26 AM   #52
Bowtie001
Project underway - finally.

Re: When it comes to TRUCKS…what has been the dumbest thing you have ever done??

I was replacing my fan clutch in the parking lot at school. When it was time to install the bolts, I realized that the bottom bolt was really hard to start, so I decided to bump the engine over - only I didn't disable the ignition. That turned out to be an expensive fan clutch.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:44 AM   #53
A.P.
Black 72 Chevy

Let family members drive my truck and one of them got into an accident with it.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:49 PM   #54
mjensen

Just yesterday, I was trying to pull in my driveway. Across the street was a durango and coming down the street was a cement truck. In a hurry to get out of the guys way and trying not to hit the durango, I tapped the throttle and felt a pop. Now I look in the mirror (finally) to see my brick mailbox toppling over! Needless to say I have been catching sh*& all day.

'69 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 Build Thread

Last edited by mjensen; 08-26-2007 at 12:50 PM.
mjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 01:39 PM   #55
kombreeze

I sold my 64 chevy truck....was best in show in low rider shows several times over...the funny thing was I only paid 3 grand for it already fixed...it ran sweet got a ton of thumbs up and I sold it to a foreighn exchange student and now its out of the states.....miss that truck and I sold for no real reason what so ever....
2006 Toyo Camry
Soon 69 Firebird 400 Convertible I'm getting it back
Soon Trailblazer or 4 Runner
kombreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 02:02 PM   #56
retodd7711
chrome makes it go FASTER!

When I was 16 I parked my truck in my parents garage and went to my room. My dad came home and said move your truck so your mom can park in the garage, I hopped in, fired up and reversed out of the garage... Right into my dad's brand new State Police cruiser. Oh crap! He had just got a promotion and the car came with it. I can't believe he didn't arrest me for stupid without a license.
and she brings me beer.
She can stay for now.
EDIT:: But she left me anyway,
So forget her.

1962 GMC Stepside V6 4 speed
My rolling resto thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=324226
My old farm truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3465005
retodd7711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:58 PM   #57
71K20chevy

This thread needs bumped!

I've only got one story...

I had been having starter problems with my 71, it wouldn't engage every time. One day I hopped in and tried to start it and got nothing. I figured the starter had finally taken a crap. Turns out, I left it in reverse the last time I was in it
Old 04-23-2014, 02:26 PM   #58
Codez67Chevy

Well back in high school my trucks front shocks were shot and still are lol. With a 292 and a 4spd, you can get that truck hopping pretty good. So my battery wasn't tied down at all and so my fan karate chopped my battery to the point of it bleeding battery acid everywhere! It's pretty impressive the abuse those fans can take, didn't bend it at all.

93' Toyota pickup 2WD 2dr and 32mpg. Daily driver. 300k+

Members I've met...
Mister-B

Last edited by Codez67Chevy; 04-23-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Codez67Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:03 PM   #59
In The Ten Ring

Parked my truck for 7 years with all its fluids still in her.

Not wearing safety glasses. I had a drum brake spring (there's like 20 of them in those drums!) hit me in the forehead. No damage but I should have had safety glasses on.

In 1998 I was up under a truck in a junkyard and a piece of rust landed in my good eye! No radio, no phone, no one around.....I used my hanky to get it out....thank God my dad made me carry one. SAFETY GLASSES.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:52 PM   #60
sKnNyPpY

Speaking of safety glasses there was my first ever brake job on my 71 that I sprayed brake cleaner right in my eye. Luckily my dad was inside and heard me screaming and brought me to the sink to rinse it out. I was fine but boy did that hurt.
Then there was the time I was swapping out the alternator without disconnecting the battery dropped it grounding it out and caught the ignition wire on fire. I put it out with my hand instead of the fire extinguisher. Less messy that way. That's also how I learned about fusible links something the po hadn't apparently.
Then there was the time I replaced the detent cable and couldn't get the hat seal in so cut it out and screwed it down anyway. Well the first time I drove into town I parked on a slight grade and as I went to go home saw half my trans fluid going down the drain I parked next to.
2.5 CPP Spindle, 1" CPP Drop Spring, CPP Front and Rear Sway Bars/DJM Flip, new General Spring KC 5 spring pack, HEI /IntReg Alt
20x8.5 OldSkools 5" BS, 275/45 Falkens
sKnNyPpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:26 PM   #61
69GMCLonghorn

Sold a '69 3/4 ton to a neighbor because I thought it was "worn out". He's a contractor and for the last 15 years has regularly loaded the thing to within an inch of its life. After running it for 3 YEARS without an air filter, he finally sucked something into the engine and grenaded it, spent $600 for someone to drop a new one in it, and it's running perfectly. Did I mention it now has something over 400,000 miles on it?!?! Son of a motherless goat... I want that truck back...
69GMCLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:30 PM   #62
Bears63
...just another truck junkie..

One was when I was in high school. I had a '68 C10. One summer day I was leaving for work and discovered a flat left front tire. So I changed it out really quick so I wouldn't be late for work. One mile from my place of employment and I looked to the left while driving 55 mph and watch my wheel roll into a corn field. I was trying to puzzle it out when the front dropped. Yes, there really is a considerable delay when it happens. At least it feels considerable Turns out I didn't completely tighten the lug nuts when I changed the tire. Only damage was to the dust cap and I did have quite a hike into the corn field to retrieve my wheel.

Second one was 5 years ago when I picked up the '63 C20 that is my avatar. I was getting ready to roll it off the trailer. I hopped in and pushed in the clutch and the truck started rolling..... forward.... My eyes bulged, I started cussing and I started stomping on the brake pedal... that kept going clear to the floor because the brakes didn't work. All I had to do was pop the clutch and it would have stopped.... Well, it stopped alright. It rolled off the front of the trailer and hung up on the rear bumper of the truck I was using to tow the trailer. It was an interesting predicament that took a bit to figure out. The friend that helped me sort the whole mess out still gives me crap about it... And now you all can join in
Old 04-23-2014, 04:54 PM   #63
ClemsonChevy
8 vehicles only 4 that run

All this is with my 95 2500 Chevy Cheyenne:

Was going to drive home with a front Dana 44 4wd axle strapped to a pallet in the back of my truck. The pallet was too big for the tailgate to close, and I have a plastic bed liner. My friend suggested strapping the pallet into the back of the truck. I told him it shouldn't go anywhere. At the first stop sign from picking the axle up I take off quick to get out into traffic. Out of the bed and onto the ground goes the pallet/axle..... I was by myself at the time. Luckily a Lowes truck was pulling back in to the Lowes next door that had a fork lift mounted on the truck, so he drives down and comes back with the fork lift!

Next, I drove around for a week with a sticking front caliper. I would get home and hose the wheel down with the garden hose to cool it down. I loved hearing that hissing sound... I still don't have working ABS.

I was backing up in my yard doing something. As soon as I remembered that I needed to look back for the telephone pole was the same moment it creased the body behind the drivers door.

I was backing up at a storage facility with my drivers door open looking back to see where I needed to stop. I forgot that there was a concrete pole right behind me and the door hits it and almost folds backwards (towards the front) before I stopped JUST in time. Door closes fine but barely scrubs the front fender a tad now.....

I was pulling a car trailer with my Jeep cherokee on it going to an offroad park. Following my friend in his Jeep TJ. He was good about rolling through stop signs if no traffic was coming to save my brakes. We got to one stop and I see him slow up and then start rolling through. At the same time, I look to the left to check for traffic. I see a car coming from a way off, so I look back ahead to see my friends Jeep at a dead stop. His 35" spare tire mounted on the rear of his jeep pushed my hood and radiator support in a tad, causing the fan to break the fan shroud and make horrible noises. We pulled over and I "adjusted" the rad support/hood with a hand sledge to get the shroud away from the fan and get the hood to open/close. We still went to the 4x4 park.

Needless to say, my 95 has a lot of "character" now......
72 Chevy C10 LWB fleetside
ClemsonChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:52 PM   #64
Lou Boffa

yup
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2014, 07:52 PM   #65
NoNeck

Not really a Chevy... and not really a truck... but here goes.

When I was about 12 years old my grandfather decided that he needed a truck. Now, my grandfather approached problems in some of the most unusual ways sometimes. Well, most times.

He asked me to help him make a truck from his 1946 Ford coupe. Believe it or not, this was a fairly common practice in our small town. You use what you have.

One Saturday morning, he took an axe to the old coupe. He hacked and chopped and ripped away about half the roof and removed the trunk lid. He sat down next to me in the shade of an old Pecan tree and beamed with pride at his handy work.

It was a total hack job on a pristine old car, but I still remember the two of us running chores and picking up lumber and old furniture for him to refinish and sell.

POP

If it costs you a dollar to make a friend, KEEP THE DOLLAR.
If it costs you a friend to make a dollar, KEEP THE FRIEND.
NoNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:33 PM   #66
dakattack7

I'm 16 and I've learned mistakes is how you learn.. I have a lot

Tried polishing the original paint on my 69. It's an arizona truck so no rust, but super thin paint. Went right through. Looks horrible, and I did it on the hood, rear bedside and front fender, not just one spot. I get bummed every time I look at it.

Did an engine swap on my 70 a few weeks ago in my backyard that was not level at all, and its dirt so I had plywood down to move the hoist around. It got unbalanced holding my 350 at full lift and fell over, I tried to stop it for a second until I realized.. Something hit my face and cut it, but I'm alive so.. It hit where my driveway starts and cracked the concrete and a little piece off of the oil filter housing. But threw it in anyways and it runs the same as before.

I say same as before because it is the same tired, 60 compression, smoking, leaking, 6 mpg 350 i took out. The other stupid thing I did was buy a 283.(I got one with no clutch pivot ball boss/hole, and no way to mount alternator cheaply, so took it back out for the 350.)

Umm, I couldnt get the 350 to run after I put it back in, I was chasing what I thought was a timing issue but I knew it was right.. Probably checked/redid it 20 times before I figured I'd try to swap the dizzy 180* out, I couldn't think of anything else. Poor'd some gas down carb and she fired right up. Well, by that I mean it backfired and caught on fire. Tried to put out with shirt but had to go get extinguisher. Nothing was damaged except new paint on engine.

^Put the old carb I had on it and its been running "fine" for 2 1/2 weeks...

My battery fell over one time when I was playing around in the dirt, never fixed it. First up in line to leave school parking lot at the light.. Dies and wont start. Thought I ran out of gas (guage didn't work until new sending unit) so i got out, getting looks and honks and put some gas in. Nothing.. Sat there for like 10 minutes being hated until I remembered it was manual.. Drove it with the starter out of the way, popped the hood, put battery back up and drove off. I went to fast over a speed bump is what happened lol.

Spent $1000 on fancy ac components for 69 instead of making it fast. (it already has a hyd roller 350 rebuilt... just needs wakening up )

Started 70 with no oil filter when I put the 350 back in. Driveway looks great.

This doesn't show it that great, but you can see the difference.. Was also taken right after a blow out that dented the fender and bent the trim :/

I think I just have bad luck but I definitely won't do any of this stuff again.
dakattack7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:35 PM   #67
Curtm220

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyboy View Post
I was at the drive in movie with a girlfriend in high school driving her dad's truck. When I leaned over to kiss her, I inadverdently pushed the clutch in and the truck rolled into the speaker pole. It dented the door and ripped the side mirror off; expensive kiss.
This story reminded me of a back seat "romp" with my date on the night of my junior prom. I drove down to the a parking lot waaaay in the back of a state park, and parked waaaay in the back of the lot. After the action, as I'm putting the main parts of my tux back on, the girl sez "did we park up against that post?". I guess I didn't set the e-brake and while we were getting busy the car had rolled about 200 feet and came to rest, ever so gently, against a post at the other end of the lot. The ONLY post at the other end of the lot. Had we been 5 feet to the left or right we would have taken an exciting ride down a small hill right into the river.

That was about 30 years ago, and the girl and I celebrated our 25th anniversary this year.

Better to be lucky than good I guess...
Old 04-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #68
ItsRandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FELON'S View Post
Traded in my Dad's '68 Camino in as a down payment on a 91 Nissan Sentra....You know....I still hate my ex wife for that one....
I still hate my ex-wife but it has nothing to do with a truck.
ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:41 PM   #69
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Tore my 70 (that I recently sold) apart too soon, so I didn't get to enjoy it much.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:12 PM   #70
C10_ustacould
A day late and $1 short...

I bought one off of this board without asking specific questions because the individual selling was a board member and I figured he'd describe it accurately, HUGE mistake. While this board is full of awesome people, there are still those who are willing to mislead to make a sale. If I buy another one that isn't local I'll be flying out to have a look at it myself.

Instagram: C10_ustacould

1963 SWB Fleet Side 528 Desert Beige
Milly

1967 SWB Step Side 506 Medium Blue
The Old Girl

1968 SWB Fleet Side 503 Light Green
Ellie SOLD

1965 SWB Fleet Side 507 Light Blue
Prescription Strength SOLD

1971 SWB Fleet Side 521 White
Shiro SOLD

1968 SWB Step Side 503 Light Green
My Old Farm Truck SOLD
C10_ustacould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:09 PM   #71
Tropical Snowstorm
Lurky lurky

I drove my green 72 from senior year of high school thru my mid 20s, never did any steering or suspension work (still had original shocks!) and drove it like I stole it with a 400+ hp 383 stroker engine... I am amazed I am still alive. I remember pacing my friend's fox-body Mustang on the highway at 100+ with a half turn of steering play.
Tropical Snowstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:29 PM   #72
slowcpe

I don't have a whole lot of c10 truck stories as I haven't had one for too long. Mustang stories I could keep you guys entertained for days!!! Like forgetting to put in the rear main seal and finding out after the initial test drive around the block. Got mad, kicked the creeper that flew across the garage hitting the open drain pan full of fluid square causing said fluid to splash all up the wall and into boxes of full of car parts.

I've also literally kicked a jack stand out from under a mustang while being under it. Did you know they can balance on 3 jack stands or a tall white guy can hit Mach 3 while crawling out from under one?

My truck story I'll leave you with happened to me and my old ranger. I was in a buddy's parents neighborhood one day and saw his car in their driveway. I parked my 4cyl 5-spd on the street and walked up to the door. While standing there waiting for someone to answer I heard a car coming down the road. I look to find only my ranger and it's slowly rolling down the street. I run over to the truck to find I locked the door. So while trying to stop the truck at the same time I'm having trouble getting my keys out of my pocket and felt like I was in a horror movie trying to unlock it. I finally get in the truck and stopped about 100 yards from its point of origin. I turn around and my buddy is literally laying in parents' yard dying laughing. He apparently saw the whole thing.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:16 AM   #73
wreckedchevy

first dumb thing I did to my truck was right after I got it in 93 it had a tiny tiny rust hole in each cab corner so being a brilliant 18 year old who knew everything I filled them both in with bondo. it is truly amazing how fast rust can spread when you feed it bondo.

second dumb thing I did was around 99 I wasn't really using it much and people kept stealing parts off of it so I took it to my folks ranch and parked it thinking it was safer, mostly out of depression never went and checked on it I really just didn't want to even think about it until I had a garage to put it in. well unfortunately somewhere in the ten years I left it there the driver's side window settled down a bit and let all the rain/snow into the cab and now I have this to deal with.
Name:  temp.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  45.1 KB
I thought it was just the floor pan but last fall when I was putting the front clip back on I grabbed the front cab support to pull myself under the truck and my hand went threw it..
Old 04-24-2014, 01:50 AM   #74
boynton

I had a frustrating day while in college (girls, school, family) I had had enough! I was driving off of campus and just couldn't take it anymore...so I punched my windshield. Great idea I know. Fotunately I just broke the windshield and not my hand. I have many other great stories this one just seemed the worst. I felt super smart after this decision. Live and learn.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=584499
1970 SWB One Owner Step Side 6.0 LY6/6L90
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=617630 Junkyard's 1971 short wide
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...86#post7531186
boynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:03 AM   #75
splehigh

A couple years ago my Dad was working on his truck on a slight incline. I guess he wasnt thinking about what he was doing and decided to take the drive shaft off. Well the parking brake wasnt set or wasnt working and the truck started to roll. He managed to grab onto the truck to avoid getting run over but he had scratches all over his back from sliding on the stone driveway. Could have been worse.
splehigh is offline   Reply With Quote