The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2010, 10:21 PM   #51
Firebirdjones

Re: What rust free floors look like

It's been in the family since new. Definately the original SPID, serial numbers match the rest of the truck,,,and the options on the SPID match the truck to a "T". Original glove box door etc....

Paint on the truck door jambs, dash and under hood are original and untouched. You can still see the chalk marks on the firewall etc...and the pics of the floors earlier in this thread are self explainatory.
Only the outside of the truck was resprayed about 10 years ago....using the paint code off the SPID no less and it matches perfect.

So why does it say Medium Olive??? Don't know, maybe a typo. Wouldn't surprise me. Although as I mentioned sometimes strange names were used for colors, my wifes vette is one example. Don't know why, maybe these colors were tossed around from one manufacture to another so often they started running out of names to call them

I can take more pics of the chevelle. Right now it's burried in the paint booth and 2 other cars blocking it.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:37 PM   #52
Firebirdjones

Give me a minute Pete. I found some fairly recent pics of some stuff I'll post.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:53 PM   #53
Firebirdjones

Hope this satisfies Pete, saves me from moving cars around. It sits in the booth alot. Just a couple of shots. Typical chevelle, Just like camaro's, seems everybody has one now

Old 01-03-2010, 11:00 PM   #54
Firebirdjones

Here's a quicky shot of more junk I rarely drive it seems.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:17 PM   #55
Firebirdjones

Good news. Looks like the intake/carb swap was worth the effort.
Before the swap, around town driving got me 10 mpg no matter how I drove it.
Now with an intake and 750 holley I just filled up today. After alot of tuning, idling in the garage and alot of reving the engine off and on for an hour or so, (pump shot circuit took some doing) and a few hard test drives mixed with around town driving to dial in the AFR and it still got 13 mpg.

Without the tuning session it may have gotten a little better around town. I have the AFR close. Still a little more wideband driving and I'll call it done.

Should pickup close to another mph or so once tuning is done and I can simply just drive it without all the idling and reving.

I look for this thing to possibly tickle 16 mpg on extended highway drives. Considering the truck has to work pretty hard around town with 3.08 gears and tall 33" tires. It's much more comfy on the highways and picked up 3 mpg highway with the old setup before,,,,with a best of 13 highway. So I look for near the same kind of pickup in mpg if not a little better now considering it's already getting 13 around town.
Not bad for an old truck with no overdrive

Rivals some of the newer SUV's out there on the road. I'll have a good check of highway mpg on the next drive down to Phoenix.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:32 PM   #56
Shock_Me

You sure do have some nice gear there! And the proper shop to store and work on them too! Enjoy them!
My Blazer has a 350/350 combo with 3:73's. I haven't had it in for a tune-up yet, but it's pretty hard on gas right now. Good thing it's not my daily driver!

Cheers
Pete
Shock_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:00 PM   #57
Firebirdjones

Haha,,,,mine isn't going to be anything stellar,,,but for what it is I think it's going to do okay. I'm so used to driving old stuff getting around 15 mpg with most of our cars, that it really doesn't faze me anymore

That's good enough for a daily driver for us.

Dialing in the carb with a wideband has paid big dividends when it comes to mileage on most of our stuff.

My 79 1 ton that you see in one of those pics, is a 454/400 turbo and 3.73 gears and weighs 5,320 lbs. I get 14 mpg out of that thing driving easy.
My fathers newer 03 silverado 3/4 ton with a 6.0 LS motor and 4L80E overdrive gets 14 mpg So much for fuel injection and overdrive technology.
Although I have the advantage of a good tune, those newer trucks from GM have a horrible tune from the factory. I use HPtuner for the newer stuff, and his factory timing table is absolute garbage with large sections of negative numbers With a good tune on that truck I could pick it up another 3-4 mpg easily.