The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #51
SS Tim

Re: WTB: Aux Fuel Tank Bezel

Mark,
You are way over thinking this. Most installations did not have senders in the aux. tanks. it was a fill them and drive them first with the stock tank as a reserve. Some tanks like the factory did have senders and you can probably add senders to just about any tank you come across for your truck. The only thing you will need is a toggle switch like the one pictured that will give three switched positions without an off or momentary. Then it is a matter of running the sender wires to the switched terminals and the gauge itself is hooked to the switch contact. Mount the switch where it is easy to see or feel (bottom of dash right of column) and set it up for left, center and right tanks. Easy to use even in the dark.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #52
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Thx Pete - that diagram helps for a single, but not sure the factory single aux switch would work since it wouldn't have enough connections to monitor the dual aux's individually(??) I'm not sure. Thanks for the link, that helps me.
You bet - Just thought the wiring diagram and maybe a hybrid of two harness or some such may be helpful for the build.....

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #53
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Mark,
You are way over thinking this. Most installations did not have senders in the aux. tanks. it was a fill them and drive them first with the stock tank as a reserve. Some tanks like the factory did have senders and you can probably add senders to just about any tank you come across for your truck. The only thing you will need is a toggle switch like the one pictured that will give three switched positions without an off or momentary. Then it is a matter of running the sender wires to the switched terminals and the gauge itself is hooked to the switch contact. Mount the switch where it is easy to see or feel (bottom of dash right of column) and set it up for left, center and right tanks. Easy to use even in the dark.
Nope - I realize all that, however, as you mentioned, "most" didn't have senders - I'm trying to find proof of "one" that had it in the dual aux config. If it's out there, that would be what I would replicate. I can always drill a hole and cobble a system - and if I can't find any evidence of some sort of standardized way the dealers may have done it for duals - or if I someone out there confirms that none of the dual setups had a awitching arrangement - then, that's what I'll end up doing.

However, Since the factory never did dual aux's in 71-72s (only dealers), and Pete's diagram dated mid-1970 is for a 3-tank system (from his accessory stuff), it would seem gm provided at least some guidance to dealers on these dual aux installs.
I think...

Last edited by jocko; 01-16-2013 at 10:45 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #54
SS Tim

Couple of things to think of most aux tanks were probably sold by the Camper dealers not the Chevy dealer. Chevrolet offered kits for single and dual aux tanks. The factory accessory tanks were vendor supplied kits with contents and instruction tuned by GM but I believe they were not production qualified parts.
The pictures posted by w314speed indeed show a GM accessory dual tank installation with a manual fuel selector valve and an independent gauge selector switch. Now I for one would love to see the box P/N match my picture below and full page scans of the entire booklet if W314speed is so inclined.
A Demco kit ad without senders is also show below.
For what it is worth I would still mount the switch on the bottom of the dash vs drilling the face.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2013, 11:44 PM   #55
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
For what it is worth I would still mount the switch on the bottom of the dash vs drilling the face.
Yep, I can't say I disagree even if I saw a bona fide pic of what I'm curious about. There are many ways to skin this cat - the more I think about it, I'd probably find a very out of the way place to put it (even though I'd still like to see an original setup).

I've seen your demco ad before - and I'm going to look closely when I remove mine to see if that is perhaps what I actually have. While I tend to think I have "dealer" dual aux tanks - the fact that they don't have the bedside filler necks (I have wheelwell fill, thank goodness, kinda like the demco pic you posted), so I think it may actually be more likely that I have an aftermarket set, not even dealer installed.

Anyone ever seen and dealer-installed dual aux's with the wheelwell filler necks (i.e. invisible, no bed cutting, etc)?

Question: would dealer-installed tanks have the SPID callout? I have the same sales brochure you have, but I never noticed it was descrobing DUAL aux tnak option (and with a fuel display selector switch)... I thought most of the dual aux tank trucks didn't have the SPID RPO if they were "dealer-installed"(??) Interesting.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:32 AM   #56
SS Tim

This brochure is showing the two purchase options. The first is the dual tank accessory kit and it is listing the kit P/N 9941167. This could be dealer installed or bought over the counter and taken elsewhere.
The second option is the factory installed RPO NL2 single left tank installation. But there were earlier single tank accessory kits as well.
The SPID will not show a RPO that is not factory installed. Now a dealer might ad a notation for say a Power brake booster kit, No-Spin or axle ratio change. But and accessory fuel tank no.
Funny, One thing that comes to mind was seeing the mid '90s SLP converted Camaros to SS that the factory drop shipped for completion. On the door SPID the ratio changes were literally scribbled in like some preteen had done it.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:08 AM   #57
w314speed

SS Tim your brochure solves some of the puzzle. Here is the label from the box that shows 994165 RH installation package which would have been everything but the tank. It has 994117 (I think-old eyes) as the other part-tank?

Looks like you ordered the RPO NL2 to get the left side (factory) and 994167 dealer installed RH. It was probably good for the 71 and 72 if the RH tank was desired. You could re-configure a left hand filler neck or tank and install the RH side on a 71-72 with the filler neck out the bedside to match the factory left? That would be cool!

PIC attached- next post

Last edited by w314speed; 01-17-2013 at 06:35 AM.
w314speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:30 AM   #58
w314speed

Here's pics- bad but showed be able to make out
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2013, 06:48 AM   #59
w314speed

I hope these pics will be good enough for detail. Installation guide is 5 pages.

The right hand tank had to be a match to the Factory left as the fuel meter was the same for both and the three attaching bolts are identical to factory installed left. More pieces of the puzzle!
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2013, 07:11 AM   #60
SS Tim

Can't do anything with the numbers but I do feel that your kit is to install a pair of aux. fuel tanks. The sender schematics clearly show three tanks and use a single switch. It would not appear to be usable with the NL2 gauge selector switch as shown. I have seen listings for single and dual accessory tanks. It is possible that there was a kit to install a third tank on the NL2 trucks but I just don't see it as a accessory offering. In fact I know of a NL2 truck that had its toolbox removed and an aux. tank installed. So on the late trucks I think a dual tank kit and maybe a single (there was earlier) as accesssory kits and the single NL2 factory installed tank were the GM offerings. Aftermarket would of corse be wide open. But few of the aftermarket kits I have seen are anywhere near the level of the NL2 installation. Most are in fact crude by direct comparison.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #61
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
Jocko - Here ya' go. The gold paint on the main arrow is a bit shelf worn as shown. Plastic is intact and the bezel is still sealed in the package.
got the bezel today, thanks! Exactly what I needed.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:44 PM   #62
Hart_Rod

The 71 parts truck I got today has it mounted on the dash. Here's a picture:
Attached Images

Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #63
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Glad you got it! Good luck on the build. Good pic from Hart_Rod...is the harness still there?

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:31 AM   #64
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
The 71 parts truck I got today has it mounted on the dash. Here's a picture:
Holy Frijoles. A picture is worth a thousand words. So, I assume you hate that unsightly thing on your dash and would love to just throw it in the garbage (or mail), right?? HA! That would make this thread a trifecta coup for me....
Old 01-22-2013, 12:35 AM   #65
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
Glad you got it! Good luck on the build. Good pic from Hart_Rod...is the harness still there?
I believe so. I'll have to look tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Holy Frijoles. A picture is worth a thousand words. So, I assume you hate that unsightly thing on your dash and would love to just throw it in the garbage (or mail), right?? HA! That would make this thread a trifecta coup for me....
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote