The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #51
RPOZ11
72 BB C30 Super LongHorn

Re: Are these trucks getting more valuable in todays market?

I think I paid a fair price for my "75 Project".
$3200 is what I gave for it, even with all of the problems it had.
I had a 'plan' going into it as I had a large amount of what I needed to change to what I wanted it to be.
That isn't always the case for someone with no resources or experiences doing these.
I bought down to spend up.
I could have spent more to have a better truck bumper to bumper, but I wanted mine to be as I wanted it.

Locally, there is a C/10 Longbed that is complete and almost rust free.
Its white with red interior, red headliner, door panels, seat, etc.
Kinda rare these days as its the first one I've seen like it.
The guy is asking $11,500.00 for it as a driver, and never redone.

My opinion is that this truck is way over priced.

I like the square body trucks to a pointe, and I own 2 now.
I guess it all depends on the buyer.

HO72 build :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=714492

2017 SS

Last edited by RPOZ11; 09-15-2013 at 01:37 PM.
RPOZ11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #52
cleansquare
Account Suspended

It all depends on buyer. end thread. Period.
Posted via Mobile Device
cleansquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #53
INSIDIOUS '86

Yes we all know some will value certain vehicles more. What people will pay is just that. I'm talking overall value not the few nutcases that will blindly spend

My thread. Doesn't end on ones whim. Period
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #54
cleansquare
Account Suspended

Ok thumpr cam guy
Posted via Mobile Device
cleansquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #55
INSIDIOUS '86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunksmash View Post
I wouldn't pay more than $1,500-$2000 for one of these old trucks. That's all I've ever paid. In TX that will buy you a runner with no rust. I paid $1,500 for my 87 and I thought that was too much. At the time I was thinking about $1000 was more like it but I really needed a vehicle and I wanted another one of these trucks. From reading this thread, it sounds like all these prices are based on your area. Some of you live in a bad area for this, while others like me live in an area where they're cheap and abundant. I can't drive through town without seeing at least 5 of these things. At least 5, a lot more if I count those I pass that are parked in back yards or driveways.

I see a lot of talk about rich guys in this thread but then I also get the impression that many of you are looking for a cheap, no work needed truck. Where is the fun in that? I wouldn't buy a truck that didn't need any work. Why not just buy a much newer vehicle and have newer tech and better gas mileage and more luxuries?

Ok my third try to post...

I find it interesting the differences in the regional pricing on these trucks. Here in wash we have everything from rust free original to barely together so prices vary. Down in the hot south rust free is common and there's lots so I'm sure prices are low. And the east coast north to south has different regional pricing. I'm curios if prices have gone up everywhere.

As to the value from nada, kelly blue/black book seem to be out of tune with our actuall trucks value. Is that true in genral for all cars? I've never needed anything other than my square so I've never paid attention really.

As for the rich people and collectors everyone knows of. The way I'm seeing it is if they all have money and want the same thing and fight over it at auction is that vehicle worth $1000? Or $100,000 now. Don't think your going to sell your truck to a group of guys that has money for cheap any more. Same with muscle cars. The elite old rich people are in the market for muscle. So they control the pricing of that market.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #56
mud.man.rj

There are 3 times as many 67-72 trucks in my area as square's so square's are climbing in price fast, remember old guy's tend to have 72 and back now, the newer gen is about squares and newer. ..But it does depend where you live as to what someone will pay. Just don't plan on investing in a truck to get ahead in real life.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #57
INSIDIOUS '86

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleansquare View Post
Ok thumpr cam guy
Posted via Mobile Device
Ok stock height joe. Unless your low your not cool or as good or smart as the rest of us

That's how ignorant you sound right now. So unless you have something to add to the thread why not go look at some pictures of cats or something? Nobody here needs your crap
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #58
rebootit

Here in the cities I just don't see any 70s trucks on the road anymore. Reason I believe is most ended up pulling boats and the salt water just ate them up. 10 or so years ago there were several but most had no floorboards anymore and were just slap full of holes. When I started looking for an older truck to pull a horse trailer I told my wife it would be great to find a 70s 3 on the tree truck but that was a pie in the sky dream. If there were any to be had they would be restored high dollar trucks or just rotted out garbage that would be beyond fixing. The first day of serious looking I came across the one I ended up with on Craig's list. Just seemed like it was meant to be. Any full size truck around here under 3k is usually not worth looking at. This one hadn't been started since 83 and had been pulled down here on a flat bed from VA. I lucked out I think because it wasn't running so nobody had called about it. It ended up being a true one owner low miles all original not rigged in any way truck. I didn't even question the asking price of $2500. I just took a gamble and bought it. So far I couldn't be happier.
Posted via Mobile Device
rebootit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #59
Skunksmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDIOUS '86 View Post
Ok my third try to post...

I find it interesting the differences in the regional pricing on these trucks. Here in wash we have everything from rust free original to barely together so prices vary. Down in the hot south rust free is common and there's lots so I'm sure prices are low. And the east coast north to south has different regional pricing. I'm curios if prices have gone up everywhere.

As to the value from nada, kelly blue/black book seem to be out of tune with our actuall trucks value. Is that true in genral for all cars? I've never needed anything other than my square so I've never paid attention really.

As for the rich people and collectors everyone knows of. The way I'm seeing it is if they all have money and want the same thing and fight over it at auction is that vehicle worth $1000? Or $100,000 now. Don't think your going to sell your truck to a group of guys that has money for cheap any more. Same with muscle cars. The elite old rich people are in the market for muscle. So they control the pricing of that market.
Posted via Mobile Device
I noticed back in my dealer days, that the Kelley Blue Book wasn't really worth a whole lot. Usually, the only accurate ones were what they had listed in "excellent" condition. Just too many variables on "fair" and "poor". Usually "poor" vehicles would go for far below what KBB said. Fair would be $700 or $800 below. So I guess the only thing I really have to add to the conversation is a report on my area. Down south, as its already been said, their value hasn't increased very much. Of course they've gone up some with everything else, due to the economy and inflation and all, but I'd say that adjusts fairly to their prices 10 years ago.

There is one other thing. I just got a quote from a rail shipping company, to ship an Oldsmobile Eighty Eight here to DFW, from Fredrick Maryland. They want $795. If some of you guys up north are having a hard time finding decent ones priced reasonably, this might be something to consider. I'm sure a square wouldn't be all that much more to ship (if any) than that car. That's a lot of money for shipping, but maybe not so much when you're talking thousands more for buying a good one local.
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #60
INSIDIOUS '86

That really isn't to bad for shipping actually. I would have thought a few thousand at least
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #61
baclay9

I believe the prices are going up here. Not as fast as the 67-72 yet obviously but they have been creeping up. They have recently gotten to the point that I do t even look at the add unless they are asking over 6k for one. Not that there aren't some good deals to be found cheaper but the ones I am usually interested in looking at are 6k +.

As many have said it is all about what people are willing to spend on it. When I bought my 74' I probably overpaid considering everything the truck needed. I really liked the truck though and it was worth it to me to have what I really want. I plan to invest way more into the truck than it will ever possibly be worth. I am not doing it as an investment, I am doing it because it is what I enjoy doing. I think the prices of these trucks will continue to rise as more and more people get into them.
Posted via Mobile Device
baclay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #62
mud.man.rj

That's the thing, these aren't made to invest in but enjoy, that is why we build them. I have over $30g's into mine, sure not getting that back but did build it right and looks the part...and as I say, fun "all day".
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #63
INSIDIOUS '86

Hmm another thing I wonder. Is it inflation or value that's driving prices up? Little of both?

Thoughts guys?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #64
Tx79chevy

Quote:
Ok stock height joe. Unless your low your not cool or as good or smart as the rest of us

That's how ignorant you sound right now. So unless you have something to add to the thread why not go look at some pictures of cats or something? Nobody here needs your crap
Posted via Mobile Device
X2
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
1979 Silverado
1987 Silverado
1987 Cutlass Supreme (For Sale)
Tx79chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #65
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

I wondered if the trade in program they had in the USA a while back may have helped bump prices.
can't think of the name but they were wrecking then,not parting them out
now peeps realize the mileage is really only better on the highway
parts don't seem to last
and to fix those new brakes etc now ,is gona make you broke anyway

not many older ones around here
"we" used to save the old ones for the winter....beaters!
now you don't see many oldies out in the snow
some think I'm nuts running the 78 all winter,but we need 4X4
getting what you want and paying for what you want are two different things
around here the 87s and older are smog exempt
that has become the bigger price break i find
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #66
INSIDIOUS '86

Yah the cash for clunkers program right? Wasn't that 85 and newer cars?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #67
slugish
Slugish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud.man.rj View Post
There are 3 times as many 67-72 trucks in my area as square's so square's are climbing in price fast, remember old guy's tend to have 72 and back now, the newer gen is about squares and newer. ..But it does depend where you live as to what someone will pay. Just don't plan on investing in a truck to get ahead in real life.
x 2 & amen on your post . Iguess I am defying the norm .Im in my 60,s & driving a square . Its sort of funny though , most of compliments on my 84 are from those much younger than me .At cruise ins & whatnot , not many in my age range even notice Im there. I inherrited my truck from my Dad who passed in 2002 , so Im not even concerned what the market value is . Its all about what its worth to You & nobody else . Im my eyes , I like the looks of mine just as good a as most of the 72 & earlier ones I see.
slugish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #68
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Quote:
Yah the cash for clunkers program right? Wasn't that 85 and newer cars?
Posted via Mobile Device
that was it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_All..._Rebate_System
says here no older then 25 years,thought it was 15
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #69
bojak

Short answer is yes they are gaining in value, every day.
Long explanation is they are in one of the last product lines that will ever be a classic. Maybe and it's iffy, the 1988-1998 series could become classics one day. If you look at how trucks were engineered back then, they were built to last. There whole pitch centered around like a rock. Now they (government motors) want you in a new truck every 3-5 years and the marketing is all about features and amenities. On star, GPS, flex fuels blah blah blah. They never mention how long the truck will last because honestly they have a vested interests that it doesn't and they damn sure don't want you working on it. They actually use our old trucks in the commercial to infer something about the potential longevity of the new ones. It's comical. Can you see a 2014 silverado stripped down as a military support truck?

We have zippo lighters for trucks, all they offer now is bic lighters for trucks. That being said they will gain in value as time goes on, how much and how fast is the unknown. stay classy San Diego.
Posted via Mobile Device
bojak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #70
rebootit

We can fix em. That right there says it all. My neighbor who gave his 80 square to his granddaughter and bought an 07 came over while I was replacing the front calipers ($12 each) and repacking wheel bearings. He said man I wish I had my old truck back. He needed a new wheel bearing and said it was over $300 to have fixed! That kind of stuff is just ridiculous. If your going to design a sealed bearing it should last the life of the truck. Trucks in the past were made so the working man could fix them in a hurry if need be.
Posted via Mobile Device
rebootit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:08 PM   #71
Skunksmash

Quote:
That really isn't to bad for shipping actually. I would have thought a few thousand at least
Posted via Mobile Device
Got another quote for $690. Apparently once you submit what you want on a shipping websites, all these companies bid on it an you just go with the lowest bidder. Least that's how I'd play it
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:46 PM   #72
07XCSBZ71

Take the nutjobs and TV dreamers out of the mix and it boils down to region. I can buy a pretty nice solid running driving 4wd down here for 1500-2500, drop 500 or so in it, take them up north and usually hit a 1500.00 dollar lick on each truck.
07XCSBZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:08 PM   #73
jpnh

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4040970621.html http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4061742359.htmleast coast deals on craigslist paid 2500 for mine probably got that into new parts makin it worthy again not countin the hrs put into it if you count those youll certainly be askin too much
jpnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:14 PM   #74
jpnh

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/cto/4042838360.htmlhttp://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4026668759.html
Old 09-17-2013, 11:25 PM   #75
jpnh

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/cto/4042838360.html