The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2013, 11:14 PM   #51
BrianG

Re: New Trends...best guesses?

I'm thinking STOCK... meaning, running with as little mods to make it run, look, etc. better. Leaving the I6 in there, 3 on the tree, am radio, steelies, etc.

I also think the patina thing is growing in popularity. With that said, I think trends start geographically and then spread. This board help spread things quicker than without, but from what I see the rat rod, patina look is really coming on, or perhaps coming back here in Michigan. Some of you out west might be saying that, that look has been 'in' for years.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:33 PM   #52
Graham57a

One trend I see growing a ton is the big smoothies. They look clean and they aren't too expensive. We've already seen them gain a ton of popularity in the past year but I think it's gonna continue to go up
Attached Images

Graham57a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:47 PM   #53
slowcpe

^^^this....I for one am starting to really like this trend.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:52 PM   #54
zeldman

Everybody here is way off. Obamacar takes over. Requires you to destroy any vehicle more than 3 years old. Requires each person over the age of 15 to buy a new car every three years. No trading, no used car markets, no junk yards, no parts stores. Just new cars and thats it. Our favorite vehicles will be all hidden in under ground garages and only our closest friends will know where it is. All mechanics will wear black suits and talk into their sleeves. Gasoline will still rule but will be sold by the CIA. Alcohol will be for drinking and will be rationed daily.

Quickly my friends, get your aluminum foil hats out and put them on before its too late..!!!

I am kidding of course..... or am I?
2013 Subaru Outback
1970 C-10 2WD, SWB stepside, 292, TH350, PS, more rust than anything. God is my pilot.
zeldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:00 AM   #55
Russ.W.

Stripper poles!

Russ.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:04 AM   #56
cool68

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldman View Post
Everybody here is way off. Obamacar takes over. Requires you to destroy any vehicle more than 3 years old. Requires each person over the age of 15 to buy a new car every three years. No trading, no used car markets, no junk yards, no parts stores. Just new cars and thats it. Our favorite vehicles will be all hidden in under ground garages and only our closest friends will know where it is. All mechanics will wear black suits and talk into their sleeves. Gasoline will still rule but will be sold by the CIA. Alcohol will be for drinking and will be rationed daily.

Quickly my friends, get your aluminum foil hats out and put them on before its too late..!!!

I am kidding of course..... or am I?
*** WHAT THE F---? Keep Political Out!!
cool68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:18 AM   #57
Rod Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham57a View Post
One trend I see growing a ton is the big smoothies. They look clean and they aren't too expensive. We've already seen them gain a ton of popularity in the past year but I think it's gonna continue to go up
That is exactly what I consider a trend. It might get hot for a while, until the "next big thing" comes along in a year or 3 or 4
Old 12-31-2013, 12:19 AM   #58
knomadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_al_71 View Post
Every style of customization comes and goes constantly. That's why I call it "flavor of the month" what's popular one day is not popular the next.
That's exactly why a lot of guys, myself included, say their rides are never "done"

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:19 AM   #59
Rod Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham57a View Post
That is exactly what I consider a trend. It might get hot for a while, until the "next big thing" comes along in a year or 3 or 4
Old 01-01-2014, 02:26 PM   #60
zeldman

For 2014, I see more alcohol in the gas, and less alcohol in me....
2013 Subaru Outback
1970 C-10 2WD, SWB stepside, 292, TH350, PS, more rust than anything. God is my pilot.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:33 PM   #61
Coley

Smile Re: New Trends...best guesses?

....how about adding sunroofs to these trucks, or maybe a set of side pipes? or maybe a glue on L88 hood, remember those?...LOL
I remember in the 70's when customizers were cutting holes in everything to install those aftermarket sunroofs....oh...and no offence to those who have 'em, if they work for you.
Here's one....what about the return of CB radios?
I'm going to back and go through my collection of 'pick-up n' panels in print from the 90's and see what was averaging out in that era.
All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:27 PM   #62
Heavymetl

Trends always come and go, the key is not to "ruin" your truck like those 70's sunroof hackers.

I see the stock appearing/modern running gear gaining steam quickly. I'm planning on doing this with my 70 C10 stepper and still using it as a summer DD and parts hauler. Picked up a 5.3 for $550 recently, and am still planning on running the 15" wheels and use a 4/6 drop. Lets face it, these trucks aged VERY well and are nearly universally loved. And stock appearing...never goes out of style.
Heavymetl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:53 PM   #63
Oly72C20

I like Russ' idea!
Oly72C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:43 AM   #64
Z10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavymetl View Post
Trends always come and go, the key is not to "ruin" your truck like those 70's sunroof hackers.

I see the stock appearing/modern running gear gaining steam quickly. I'm planning on doing this with my 70 C10 stepper and still using it as a summer DD and parts hauler. Picked up a 5.3 for $550 recently, and am still planning on running the 15" wheels and use a 4/6 drop. Lets face it, these trucks aged VERY well and are nearly universally loved. And stock appearing...never goes out of style.
This is exactly what I'm doing to my 72 now. I asked my self, what would GM do if they made this truck today. A little resto mod.
1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 & 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Z10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:32 AM   #65
sKnNyPpY

Libtard here with an old truck AND a gun. Keep your politics off our truck board please.
2.5 CPP Spindle, 1" CPP Drop Spring, CPP Front and Rear Sway Bars/DJM Flip, new General Spring KC 5 spring pack, HEI /IntReg Alt
20x8.5 OldSkools 5" BS, 275/45 Falkens
sKnNyPpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:36 AM   #66
special-K
Special Order

I couldn't care less about trends. I've never been the monkey see monkey do type. I know what I like and do what I like. I have probably been guilty of going with a trend years ago without realizing it. But,I've come around to avoiding momentary things and stick with what's been working and will always work. It's what they call classic,never goes out. I guess my theme is adhering to a balance between form and function. Gotta have both or no thank you for me. Every trend that people look back at and criticize was once what all the trend followers did or wanted to do. These are great trucks and have been since day-1. I like them for what they are. I like enhancements that don't take away from and pays respect to what I started with. Many things that have become trends I did a long time ago,just because I thought it was a cool idea. Do what you like and who cares what the others are doing. If you like it that's all that counts.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 01-03-2014 at 08:33 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #67
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I could care less about trends. I've never been the monkey see monkey do type. I know what I like and do what I like. been working and will always work. It's what they call classic,never goes out. I guess my theme is adhering to a balance between form and function..
^^^^^ So true. Notice how you can tell when some trucks were built? Southwest colors? Graphics? Maybe huge wheels next? Some things though are timeless. One thing that makes these trucks so colectable is the fact that they were such an amazing design to begin with right from GM.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #68
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Here's my thoughts.
Big trucks get more popular.
Classic looks whether modded or stock with late model running gear and suspensions.
Fewer adjustable suspensions
Driver paint instead of mega buck paint jobs Flats,patina and orig paint top this list.
Driving trucks/Vehicles rather than weekend queens.
Upholstry will probably become a factor,I like indian blanket and offbeat materials.There's a 32 coupe here in town.It's a small block,4 speed custom frame but in primer with matteress stripe material.It's in primer and the guy don't care if it rains,It's just a clean little car that looks like a late 60's early 70's work in progress.It's ultra reliable and fun.
I think TX Firefighter has a point,nostalgia(from the 60's-70's is going to be a trend.
The modern power including maybe rewound elec will be showing up,but I think for the most part it will be late model gas or plain old school simple.
Themes,whether a classic "Cowboy Caddy" like TX described or just a clean driver,I think people will start with a theme in mind and try to stay with it.Some will blend a couple themes but they have to work together.Big wheels on stock stance doesn't work(I'm not a fan but).Look for more classy driver rides.

One more trend will start to show,budget rides,vehicles built with use in mind and keeping the cost down while keeping the quality up.I think this already shows in homebuilts but will become a trend in it's own right.The days of throwing cubic dollars at it to have a memorable ride will slow.

Finally, Coley has a great point. We all need to consider the kids we know. Especially the 7-12 year olds. There are lots of single mothers and armchair rodders with kids. Take one to a show. Let them see what it's about. Most of the car nuts I know will take a minute to talk to a kid that shows interest. We as a collective, have to do that to perpetuate the hobby.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 01-02-2014 at 11:12 AM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:07 AM   #69
Ft.ValloniaStreaker

Rust...the new patina, when somebody ask whatcha got in that thing, just say peek through the holes and see for yourself! All the Cali guys will be sending their trucks back east for the winter.
Ft.ValloniaStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:37 PM   #70
texjake

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamjet View Post
I'm hoping the new trend will be maroon and white, LWB trucks with 307 C.I. engine with 3 OTT, factory stance, and an old man behind the wheel slowing down traffic...
I agree with you there hamjet! Except mine has a factory ordered 396 big block. I agree with some of the aspects of what may be the becoming trend. But I like keeping them the stock original look; the faded, patina look, fresh barn finds. Keep her the way she is, she took on lots of miles & hard work to get her to that stage. Don't give her botox, let her wear her wrinkles well, she earn them on the farm & ranch. I bought an old truck so I can remember what it was like to drive an old truck back in 76', way before fuel injection, electronic ignition, computers, ABS, power assist everything. If I want that I'll drive my 06' Silverado. Oh yea & thanks Tx Firefighter, I forgot about adding my gun rack. I had one in every truck growing up & we left our guns in the gun racks in our trucks at school, yes at school! It was HS in 76' in Eastern NM we never worried about someone stealing our guns or school shootings. My goodness how times have changed! And yes I agree, if your going to put a gun in that gun rack it needs to be a hunting rifle or a shotgun, no AK47 or AR15, keep it authentic, period correct for the time it was.
Attached Images

texjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:30 PM   #71
Rod Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I could care less about trends. Do what you like and who cares what the others are doing. If you like it that's all that counts.
How much less could you care?
Old 01-02-2014, 01:59 PM   #72
hamjet

Yea Texjake, I'd love to put a gunrack with gun in mine, I'd be afraid of someone steeling it and I don't want to drill any holes to mount one. the truck went 40 some odd years with no holes and I don't want to be the one to do it. I did replace the AM radio with a brand new in the box Audiovox AM/FM with 8 track player I got at a flea market. Boy its like when I was a teenager (1971) cruzing, listening to that awful sound comming from the 8 track, Man I love it....LIFE IS GOOD!!!!!
Old 01-02-2014, 03:34 PM   #73
Flat 67

Interesting topic Mr. Coley,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
So what are you best guesses?..whats hot and whats not?

Coley
Since the manufacturers and the car buffs feed on each others ideas, I think the diesel swap will become a more popular swap. I have seen a few swaps, but I think we'll see a lot more.
Flat 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:16 PM   #74
zeldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sKnNyPpY View Post
Libtard here with an old truck AND a gun. Keep your politics off our truck board please.
How is talking about trends political? So you have 1 gun, are you making a threat?
2013 Subaru Outback
Old 01-02-2014, 05:42 PM   #75
jae

I definitely agree on the increasing popularity of the commercial type trucks (COE, 1 ton, classic tow rigs, panels, etc.), which in my opinion goes right along with the increasing popularity of patina and functional drivers.
jae is offline   Reply With Quote