The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2015, 06:44 PM   #51
Birdz85

Re: C10 pro street HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyChevy81 View Post
no problem
i'm 49
Looking for pics of my sons truck.
355 SBC, Trick Flow twisted wedge heads.
Tunnel ram with 2 450's
Solid roller cam
11.5:1 compression
TH350, 3500 stall
4.56's in a GM 12 bolt with mini spool
Runs 11.50's on Hoosiers.
He built it in our shop. Started when he was 14. Hes now 26.
That's awesome!!!! My lil girl will be here in less than a week and I wish for nothing more than for her to be level headed when she's older and us connect over or around cars,trucks, and motocross! Just cuz my dream didn't come true for a boy, I'll have my baby girl knowing more about motor and cars than her boyfriends! Lol that's really really cool to say the least. I bet you guys love Rollin to car shows together. Btw I'm 23 atleast for another 3 weeks or so.

85 SWB Mike Thompson 355/ FTI Turbo 400
Birdz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:54 PM   #52
HeavyChevy81

Treat her well. I looked at the time spent as keeping him from doing other stuff.
My daughter is 21, she has a F*** M****** that i'm working on WITH her.
67, Coupe 289/auto with factory air. Its a project. Sorry no pics on it yet.
I tried to teach them both HOW to work on their projects, then instructed when they had issues.
I feel they now respect the skill set required and can appreciate what others have done. Very proud of both of them. Both have college degrees, and very nice jobs, while I still have to work with my hands.
You have an excellent start in the hobby, learn, ask questions, try, repeat.
I'm not on here a lot, but will offer advise anytime.
Lots of very good advice and views on this forum. Listen and learn.
Thanks, Lane.
HeavyChevy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:15 AM   #53
Birdz85

Quote:
Treat her well. I looked at the time spent as keeping him from doing other stuff.
My daughter is 21, she has a F*** M****** that i'm working on WITH her.
67, Coupe 289/auto with factory air. Its a project. Sorry no pics on it yet.
I tried to teach them both HOW to work on their projects, then instructed when they had issues.
I feel they now respect the skill set required and can appreciate what others have done. Very proud of both of them. Both have college degrees, and very nice jobs, while I still have to work with my hands.
You have an excellent start in the hobby, learn, ask questions, try, repeat.
I'm not on here a lot, but will offer advise anytime.
Lots of very good advice and views on this forum. Listen and learn.
Thanks, Lane.
That's awesome man!! Thank you very much! Gives me even more to look forward to. At least you can say, if in your life you only managed to do one great thing it was prolly raising those kids the way you did. I personally don't care about college but they better have a career or business if they don't plan to go. None the less it was a joy talkin to ya, I'm sure down the road if/when I ever get to build the supercharged LSx I'll remember that one TEXAN that knew ins and outs and search this thread to message you! I hope you and your family continue to do good and good luck with anything you guys come across! If you ever get a wild hair and end up in south FL lemme know and I could atleast tell you where to go!! ... And not go! Lol

Old 09-24-2015, 12:53 PM   #54
HeavyChevy81

A short video to finish off the prior conversation.
Several years ago, but fun none the less.

Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jR5VSgF7rk

Last edited by HeavyChevy81; 09-24-2015 at 12:54 PM. Reason: wrong link
Old 09-24-2015, 01:05 PM   #55
Birdz85

Quote:
A short video to finish off the prior conversation.
Several years ago, but fun none the less.

Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jR5VSgF7rk
That's awesome!!! Never seen luvers in the gate like that! Especially a Bowtie! What causes a blown motor to "diesel" like that?? Cuz not all supercharged motors do that. Like when you were backing in the shop

Old 09-24-2015, 01:15 PM   #56
HeavyChevy81

Blower surge.
Overdriving the blower makes the idle surge.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:03 PM   #57
Birdz85

Quote:
Blower surge.
Overdriving the blower makes the idle surge.
Is it bad to do that? And when you saying overdrivin the blower... You mean? Your pulley has a low ratio to the crank so at idle it pushes more air than the motor wants to take?

Old 09-24-2015, 02:27 PM   #58
HeavyChevy81

Cool Re: C10 pro street HELP

"Boost" is a relative term that needs some explaining. My strip tune is 20 percent overdriven, so yes, it is over what the engine needs to idle.
Now, about "Boost".
Everyone always wants to know how much boost I run. I give them the number from the current tuneup, and they proceed to tell me they are running 20-30lbs and should make way more power than I am.
When I first started the Blower combination, I was running GM 188 Rect. port BBC cast heads. Underdriven 10 percent, I was running 9-10 psig of "boost"
Remember, "Boost" is RELATIVE.
As I made changes to the engine combination (different cams) I noticed my boost dropping. (I log everything).
Then I upgraded to a better set of alum heads, again, boost drop.
I finally went with AFR's and noticed a big drop (3-4 psi).
I pulled the blower and engine apart to find the problem.
Then the realization hit me.
As you increase the airflow through the engine, it's capacity increases to match the blower output. So, I turned the blower harder. (Driving the blower faster than the crankshaft through pulley ratios.)
Now, back to my current tune. I overdrive the 8/71 20 percent over crank speed, this produces a whopping 6-7psi of boost. I keep this boost level to avoid heating the air too much (10-14psi). Testing has shown this to be a survivable tune for the current combination. I'll get off my soap box, but just because you are running 7 psi and someone else is running 20-30, remember that Boost is a measure of backpressure stacking up not getting through the engine. Therefore I consider a low boost number at this power level a very efficient combination.
I hope this all makes sense.

P.S. This is a Roots blower setup, but I feel the theory applies to almost any non- intercooled application.

Lane.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:32 PM   #59
Birdz85

Quote:
"Boost" is a relative term that needs some explaining. My strip tune is 20 percent overdriven, so yes, it is over what the engine needs to idle.
Now, about "Boost".
Everyone always wants to know how much boost I run. I give them the number from the current tuneup, and they proceed to tell me they are running 20-30lbs and should make way more power than I am.
When I first started the Blower combination, I was running GM 188 Rect. port BBC cast heads. Underdriven 10 percent, I was running 9-10 psig of "boost"
Remember, "Boost" is RELATIVE.
As I made changes to the engine combination (different cams) I noticed my boost dropping. (I log everything).
Then I upgraded to a better set of alum heads, again, boost drop.
I finally went with AFR's and noticed a big drop (3-4 psi).
I pulled the blower and engine apart to find the problem.
Then the realization hit me.
As you increase the airflow through the engine, it's capacity increases to match the blower output. So, I turned the blower harder. (Driving the blower faster than the crankshaft through pulley ratios.)
Now, back to my current tune. I overdrive the 8/71 20 percent over crank speed, this produces a whopping 6-7psi of boost. I keep this boost level to avoid heating the air too much (10-14psi). Testing has shown this to be a survivable tune for the current combination. I'll get off my soap box, but just because you are running 7 psi and someone else is running 20-30, remember that Boost is a measure of backpressure stacking up not getting through the engine. Therefore I consider a low boost number at this power level a very efficient combination.
I hope this all makes sense.

P.S. This is a Roots blower setup, but I feel the theory applies to almost any non- intercooled application.

Lane.

That's was a great write up!! For all to read! Thanks once again