The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #76
JOJABOY

Re: Questions about steelies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
Lol. Yeah, pain in the butt. Oh well.

So, with your spacer idea, are you talking about something that would mount behind the wheel, to make the whole thing stick out further to clear the axel more? Cool idea.

Anybody have thoughts about doing something like this?
Posted via Mobile Device
That's exactly it. I don't recommend them on the front. Totally changes the pivot point for your wheels. And I wouldn't go very thick (only as thick as you need). Some folks will get 3/4" spacers to try and bring their wheels out to the edge of the wheel well. I guess they are too cheap to buy new wheels with a different offset. However, for what you need. And being in the back.....That's what I would do. You wouldn't notice the difference in the front and back wheels with only a thin spacer and it will allow you to use the steels with the blue caps.
JOJABOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #77
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJABOY View Post
That's exactly it. I don't recommend them on the front. Totally changes the pivot point for your wheels. And I wouldn't go very thick (only as thick as you need). Some folks will get 3/4" spacers to try and bring their wheels out to the edge of the wheel well. I guess they are too cheap to buy new wheels with a different offset. However, for what you need. And being in the back.....That's what I would do. You wouldn't notice the difference in the front and back wheels with only a thin spacer and it will allow you to use the steels with the blue caps.
You are the man! I found some 1/4 inch spacers for $20 total, and got everything installed. I took tons of pics, and will get them posted up in just a bit
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #78
Mister-B
Account Suspended

All done and mounted. Here are the pics. Well worth the work

This shows the wider stance

And...a truck being used as a truck to haul the prior 2009 GM wheels I removed

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2013, 09:08 PM   #79
jocko

No offense to your previous wheels, but HUGE improvement - those look great. What a transformation! As for the caps - never saw anyone paint the later caps with a blue center, great idea. Truck looks great Mr.B.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:20 PM   #80
special-K
Special Order

Dang,I forgot all about the -76+ hubcaps not fitting on these trucks. I don't think it's the wheels. Those hubcaps came on trucks with 14-bolt rears. I tried to put some on my '72 K2500 with a Dana 60 and they wouldn't work,but I've run them on a '71 K/20 that had 9.75 Kelsey Hayes wheels. What rear do you have? I also found out the K/30 hubcaps don't fit over the '72 K2500 hubs.

I guess that supervisor learned his lesson. When you came in with a hubcap stuck on a wheel because they put it on before the paint was properly cured he should have said,"Bring them back with the hubcap off and we'd be glad to mount your tires. We can't be responsible for any damage if you want us to do it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:24 PM   #81
71K20chevy

I'm really glad you went with white instead of black, it really does set the truck off! Looks nice man!
Old 02-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #82
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
No offense to your previous wheels, but HUGE improvement - those look great. What a transformation! As for the caps - never saw anyone paint the later caps with a blue center, great idea. Truck looks great Mr.B.
Thanks! Yeah, I don't think the yellow would have looked good on this truck

As for being offended about the prior wheels, I've been hearing so much sh!t from guys on the forum about my wheels, that I became numb to it long ago lol. They were right
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #83
Justin36

Looks awesome! Very cool!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #84
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Dang,I forgot all about the -76+ hubcaps not fitting on these trucks. I don't think it's the wheels. Those hubcaps came on trucks with 14-bolt rears. I tried to put some on my '72 K2500 with a Dana 60 and they wouldn't work,but I've run them on a '71 K/20 that had 9.75 Kelsey Hayes wheels. What rear do you have? I also found out the K/30 hubcaps don't fit over the '72 K2500 hubs.

I guess that supervisor learned his lesson. When you came in with a hubcap stuck on a wheel because they put it on before the paint was properly cured he should have said,"Bring them back with the hubcap off and we'd be glad to mount your tires. We can't be responsible for any damage if you want us to do it.
Not sure what rear end it's got, but here's my SPID. Can you tell from that?

After buying the spacers, they fit just fine now

As for this guy denting the cap, he really was being a caveman with it. He had the proper tool. In fact, I got them off no problem properly from the front and a tap from behind with my hand using his tool, and a rag to protect the paint. For him to just start banging away like that was stupid.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2013, 09:37 PM   #85
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin36 View Post
Looks awesome! Very cool!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks! Means a lot coming from you. I've always admired your truck and wheels
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2013, 09:39 PM   #86
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71K20chevy View Post
I'm really glad you went with white instead of black, it really does set the truck off! Looks nice man!
You guys were right. White is best on this truck. Also, using 3 coats of primer and 3 of gloss topcoat really set them off. It's a real nice, deep white.

Thanks for the compliments!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2013, 10:46 PM   #87
JOJABOY

So, what's next on your project list? Have you thought about lighting your side markers and then tie them to your turn signals?

The wheels look superb so I know what ever you work on next will equate in perfection. I have been down since I had foot surgery and haven't been able to anything short of enjoying the occasional short drive. When I get a little more mobile (I think) I am going to work on my engine bay. I picked up some new valve covers from my friends crate motor. I'm gonna get rid of all the chrome. I will probably make a dual snorkel air cleaner as well. I saw a cool write up on them.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:29 PM   #88
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJABOY View Post
So, what's next on your project list? Have you thought about lighting your side markers and then tie them to your turn signals?

The wheels look superb so I know what ever you work on next will equate in perfection. I have been down since I had foot surgery and haven't been able to anything short of enjoying the occasional short drive. When I get a little more mobile (I think) I am going to work on my engine bay. I picked up some new valve covers from my friends crate motor. I'm gonna get rid of all the chrome. I will probably make a dual snorkel air cleaner as well. I saw a cool write up on them.

Thanks!

Well, I need a different seat cover. I'm thinking of a weathered natural leather. I also need to look at getting my interior pieces to match. Too many shades of blue, that they don't make anymore. Where I have the black dash now, I'll probably start to convert vinyl pieces to black. It looks sharp against the light blue interior paint in the dash, roof, etc.

I've considered wiring the lights, but think I'll just leave I as is. This truck is pretty basic, no frills. That's how it came. My side markers are brand new, and I purposely went with the basic ones, rather than the deluxe ones because on my rig I think they'd be too fancy. So, probably won't bother with lighting even the basic ones. I could change my opinion later, but that's the theory for now

What does the dual snorkel filter do? Have you thought of a K&N, so you don't have to replace it again?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2013, 11:51 PM   #89
JOJABOY

I have a K&N filter now. It has a chrome top disc and bottom. I want a stock black air cleaner to hold my K&N filter but want one with two inlet tubes (dual snorkel) so it can pull plenty of air. I lit my basic side markers and connected to the signals for safety reasons more than anything.

I think black and Lt blue would look great. Do you have any cheap upholstry shops there? L.A. is full of them. I was thinking leather with suede for mine. It's cloth now....but a bad upholstry job.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-26-2013, 12:39 AM   #90
Gumby

"Lookin Good"
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #91
Mayo
Cool Truck

Your truck looks much better with the new wheels and I like the fact that you painted the centers blue. I am guessing that you have a Dana 60 rear because my dad bought a 72 C20 parts truck and it had those hubcaps on all four corners without spacers I believe.
Posted via Mobile Device

Looking for a patina'd 68 50th Anniversary longbed
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:52 PM   #92
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Thanks guys

And to put a nice little cherry on top, I listed the old wheels for sale in the local classifieds, and sold them for $200 cash today! I made back everything I spent on these new wheels, caps, and paint, and made an extra $60 or so
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #93
black_sheep454

Looks great. Are the wheels 16.5 or later 16.
Posted via Mobile Device
1988 chevy 1-ton crew cab 2wd waiting for a 12v cummins
black_sheep454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:09 PM   #94
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_sheep454 View Post
Looks great. Are the wheels 16.5 or later 16.
Posted via Mobile Device
They are 16x7
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #95
72 Super

Your wheels look good and your truck is coming along great!
Old 02-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #96
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 Super View Post
Your wheels look good and your truck is coming along great!
Thanks! I've had a huge wish list of parts on brothers site, so I could keep track of what I still needed. Between parts I bought from them, the junk yard, and an order I placed today, I only have 3 parts left on the list
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2013, 01:12 AM   #97
69C20396

Awesome job! Mine has been buried in the snow for almost a week, only out a few times, and this makes me want to get back out there.
Posted via Mobile Device
69C20396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #98
Sicklajoie
The Niner

Now that's the way it's SUPPOSED to look! Great job!
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #99
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicklajoie View Post
Now that's the way it's SUPPOSED to look! Great job!
Thanks for the inspiration, and all your help! I know I asked you a thousand questions
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #100
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
Not sure what rear end it's got, but here's my SPID. Can you tell from that?

After buying the spacers, they fit just fine now

As for this guy denting the cap, he really was being a caveman with it. He had the proper tool. In fact, I got them off no problem properly from the front and a tap from behind with my hand using his tool, and a rag to protect the paint. For him to just start banging away like that was stupid.

Posted via Mobile Device
I'm going to guess you have a Dana 60 since you have the rear leaf option. picture of the rear itself would confirm it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote