The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2011, 01:30 PM   #76
72TealnWhite

Re: Frustrated ...

well.. fella's ... The battery.. thank god not the starter.. but i'm due for a new one anyways... With the amount of information in this thread i think we can takle this one eventually.. I'm extremely grateful for the tips and advice that has been given.. I've been missing this site all along. As for "the ole' lady" ... Battery was dead..

She ran pretty good on the way back home.. Will take her out later.
I'm going to make a phone call to the guys who put her together and ask alot of questions , i hope they are easy to deal with because they are about to get bombarded with questions...
Here's the deal: i bought the truck blew the exh mani. My dad wanting to do me a favor lol.. (im 32 y.o.) took it to this place and went balls out on the fixing .. well i don't know exactly what they did.. (i need to know this info) they just talked to my dad ( i live about 40 min. away from the shop) ... so i'm pretty much in the dark as to what the timing is set at or what heads are on it, or anything else they did.. It's time to get this info. and see what i can do... Really though thank you all for the help .. This is what its all about .. helping others.

and Duk... that is exactly what my truck does.. but only sometimes.. more often than running good tho.

Hope to have more information later on today guys..

nate

87' Ford Mustang GT 302 HO Underdrive pulleys, 3.73 gear, flowmasters
72TealnWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #77
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

This forums great aint it.
Your 'Ol-Lady' is just making sure that when she does start acting right you'll appreciate her all the more.
Good Luck.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #78
dracula4999

Having dealt with a similar issue for about 3 months starting back in December, my guess would be you have a bad ignition module. Your local auto parts store can test that for you for free. It is under the rotor bug on the distributor. My truck did the same thing, run good one day and run like a dog the next. Sometimes start, sometimes not. Having said that i also think your timing is advanced too far. If the starter seems to drag a little and turn real slow that is usaully the case. It may start fine when its cold but after it warms up it wont start as easy. Having read everything else everbody has said and you have tried i would start there. IF it aint that, it wasnt vacuum, then you have a fuel problem. Sounds like your carb may be loading up a little as well. What carb are you running on that truck?
dracula4999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:33 PM   #79
CARR33

I had similar problem years ago. I could rev it up in park and everything was fine, but no power driving. While reving it up a friend heard a whistling noise coming from underneath. I had him look and every time i reved it up the exhaust pipe would slide back on the y pipe. Turned out to be an obstruction in the exhaust.
CARR33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:39 PM   #80
CARR33

I had another similar problem running a non vented gas cap on a tank that either didnt have a vent or it was clogged. About a minute after starting it would shut off. It would restart after about 30 minutes. I pulled the cap and could hear a slight swoosh of air. The rubber parts of the gas line were being sucked close. I dont think this is your problem, but something to remember for future reference
CARR33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:09 PM   #81
72TealnWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracula4999 View Post
Having dealt with a similar issue for about 3 months starting back in December, my guess would be you have a bad ignition module. Your local auto parts store can test that for you for free. It is under the rotor bug on the distributor. My truck did the same thing, run good one day and run like a dog the next. Sometimes start, sometimes not. Having said that i also think your timing is advanced too far. If the starter seems to drag a little and turn real slow that is usaully the case. It may start fine when its cold but after it warms up it wont start as easy. Having read everything else everbody has said and you have tried i would start there. IF it aint that, it wasnt vacuum, then you have a fuel problem. Sounds like your carb may be loading up a little as well. What carb are you running on that truck?
thanks.. i'll check that out ... the carb is an Edelbrock 1406 .

thanks guys .. off to the auto store..
nate

Old 07-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #82
dukcaln

i really think you should start with spark gap, timing, check the wiring for plugs, make sure it is correct. check vacuum lines and then if that still don't work check the ignition system, dist... if that won't work check the fuel issues and carb... by the time you do all of that your going to be smiling on how great she runs..... and as for me, i guess i should take my own advice and do the same...LOL wish us luck
Old 07-13-2011, 10:47 AM   #83
dracula4999

The edelbrock carbs are notorious for the back two barrels leaking and causing it to load up. This is not your problem while driving, but if it is hard to start once its warm that could be it. If it cranks fine when its warm but you have to hold the gas down to the floor to start it that could be it. Dont know if you are having that problem or not but some useful information anyway.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #84
dracula4999

If it is doing that it WILL foul out your plugs very quickly and cause it to run like crap
Old 07-13-2011, 12:31 PM   #85
dukcaln

didnt even dawn on me about fouling plugs too....good advice
Old 07-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #86
dukcaln

teal, whats the update.... how she running any progress.... i adjusted my timing and carb and she runs better but I think she could pull harder and smoother after 2500 rpm still. I started my own thread in the engine section... explaining my issue and asking for advice... let us know what is going on with yours
Old 07-15-2011, 11:34 AM   #87
72TealnWhite

sorry guys.. been a busy week .. mostly truck related.. so i think we may have finally got it .. i'll surely be testing out.. i'm driving to Lansing ( 2hr drive) in a few minutes.. so i can't really post my update yet.. but i'll see if she works..

I will be back with an update ... shortly .. You guys won't believe this one.. (the problem with the truck)..

I'll have a large write up when i get home. (if i make it there and back with no problems).

Ill talk to y'all soon .. and hopefully can help you guys out too..

nate

Old 07-15-2011, 01:31 PM   #88
dukcaln

dang, you mean your going to tease us like that what gives...LOL hope it works out for ya..
Old 07-15-2011, 02:19 PM   #89
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Hope all goes well cant wait to hear what the problem was or is??

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #90
Bears63
...just another truck junkie..

I think that was the most shameless teaser I have ever seen on the forum
Looking forward to seeing that write-up thoughl.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #91
Dano69c10

With an E-Brock it sounds like you have "junk in your carb and/or the carb's accelerator pump is shot. Remove the top of the carb to check for debris. If there is debris, take apart/clean/rebuild, if no debris I'd at the very least change the accelerator pump.
Just my $0.02
Dano

It ain't yours, if you didn't build it!
Dano69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #92
Autoblueprint

Lightbulb Re: Frustrated ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72TealnWhite View Post
I went and started it this morning and drove it home (about a 1/2 mile). doing the same thing... going uphill and it just wont go . .
Possible exhaust restriction...click on this link and determine what your engine's vacuum reading is :

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...37#post4688437
Old 07-15-2011, 08:39 PM   #93
dukcaln

whistle whistle whistle.... stomping foot stomping foot, looking up into sky....basically waiting for teal to post an update...
Old 07-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #94
dukcaln

teal......think you have drawn this out long enough with out updating us.... what gives
Old 07-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #95
72TealnWhite

whoa whoa ...... sorry fellas, didn't know i was that important.. Ok here's the deal:

And the story continues : After that last post this happened : Was driving back home after at the shop AGAIN... seemed like it was fixed... and then on the freeway .. POP BANG SNAP .. right through downtown detroit...and she died .... was proud to be a Detroiter that day as had a lot of offers for help.. Well we get a jumpbox and it starts right up.. i pop the hood and look ..and there is a GD wire arcing out on my exhaust pipe.. Now i'm thinking wtf.. So i say i'm taking this thing straight back to these guys...Shop. Turns out.. whoever put it back together after the refurbishing... bi passed and made his own power cord to the distributor.. the original (which was the right one anyway) was sitting on my exhaust... Ok guys . fix the wiring.. ok no prob. Battery charged , alternator seems fine "he says" ... so i'm like ok .. sounds good.. and off to lansing i finally go.. She was fine for the whole drive 1.5 hr. avg. about 70mph on highway.. So i make it.... and am happy and relieved the thing finally works.. Ok so im in a hurry and within the time limits of a 12 yr. old girl .. and i have to deliver. i got to be here and there to pick up friends for a suprise bday party... so we get in the truck and NOTHING... wont start. (said every cuss word in the book under my breath). Oh and we got to be somewhere in a half hr. Ok. so i'll jump it and go... get it started and there she goes again... SNAP POP BANG .. some people actually ducked for cover... NOT FIXED!!!! so im furious now.. Well luckily my GF knew a guy out there who "knew his stuff" .. OK... Well he got it... The damn alternator and voltage regulator were bad !! Probably the whole time.. it was lack of voltage causing me to backfire ... and i'm probably going to need a battery soon too.. so there ya have it .. Not sure if thats the answer y'all were looking for but that was it for me.... go figure.. sorry about keepin y'all hangin..

nate

Old 07-17-2011, 08:24 PM   #96
Frkypunk70

Damn... That's some bad carma. You sure you truck didn't run over some old, blind,deaf,peaceful, charity giving woman, and kill her before you got it? It's what happens when you get these trucks,gotta work all the bugs out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-17-2011, 09:13 PM   #97
dukcaln

well I really hope that is it...... sometimes trucks or vehicles become cursed for what ever reqason... had a truck like that and I finaly sold it and then the guy who bought it from me sold it.... was just one of those things were it was nothing major that would go wrong but just one small to medium frustrating thing after another... so i really know how you feel....
Old 07-18-2011, 02:54 AM   #98
72TealnWhite

awww man, i didn't mean to be bringing everybody down man...

I'm pretty sure we got the ol' lady figured out for now ... i'm been drivin' around like a mad man ... i love it .. and she hauls some serious arse..

now its the other ole lady i gotta worry about .. duk ..what's up with your prob? hows it going?

nate

Old 07-18-2011, 10:45 AM   #99
dukcaln

Mate, not sure I am about 80% good.... just that under heavy throttle issue. I am hoping I am still under timed, so I will be bumping it up this week some time. then we will see. I hope that is all it is, I will let you know.. thanks
Old 07-18-2011, 11:50 AM   #100
kev2809
low n' slo

man, i never would have guessed that one. you gotta be happy in the end though, that you didnt drop your transmission on first instinct! thats the first thing i would have suspected...congrats to you!

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]

Last edited by kev2809; 07-18-2011 at 12:03 PM.
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote