The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
72TealnWhite

Frustrated ...

Hey all, So i got my truck back a few days ago and have been driving like crazy.. i love it. I am truly at peace behind the wheel of a muscle car . So this is what they did at the shop for me .. Refurbished heads. GM (he called them 480 heads) i was unable to locate those but he said they were a good flowing head. Valves...and Rockers... Some gaskets here n there... drive shaft bearing replaced.. Power steering fixed up...

1st thing i noticed was a shrilling screeching noise when the wheel was turned all the way to R or L .. wheel would shake also but only did it sometimes?

So im driving last night before i went to bed ... I was low on gas so i was going to stop .. looked to be a notch before the last notch on the fuel gauge .. i thought it could be faulty... then i was pulling away from a light and she started coughing on acceleration... coughed some more so i took it easy and pulled over : thinking i was out of gas .. or close.. I started it back up and proceed to drive... listening to it ..

Wasn't coughing anymore .. but i couldn't go anywhere... The best way to describe it is being stuck in 1st or 2nd gear.. i give it gas and it won't get up and go.. so i made it to the gas station and filled it with gas .. then it wouldn't start ..

I went and started it this morning and drove it home (about a 1/2 mile). doing the same thing... going uphill and it just wont go . . so i park it and let it sit.. start it back up.. and i can rev the engine w/o it coughing or anything (i just had it worked on) so i hope its not engine related .. but it sounds good in park and neutral.. but when i put it in gear it just revs high and goes slowly .. I checked the obvious ( park brake was not on) but that almost describes what it feels like.. i'm driving with the park brake on ..

Im starting to get frustrated.. Had the truck for two months ... and got to drive it in working shape for two days.....:smoke

Thanks
nate
72TealnWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

Re: Frustrated ...

Check the fluid level in your transmission. Sounds like it is low. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
JORGIE95961

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic heartbeat View Post
check the fluid level in your transmission. Sounds like it is low. Wes
x2
JORGIE95961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
72TealnWhite

thanks i'll give that a shot... it feels like its definitely trans related... how do i find out what trans i have .? the spid? cast # .. off to the garage.

thanks
nate
Old 07-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
JORGIE95961

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72tealnwhite View Post
thanks i'll give that a shot... It feels like its definitely trans related... How do i find out what trans i have .? The spid? Cast # .. Off to the garage.

Thanks
nate
im thinin a th 350
Old 07-08-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
72TealnWhite

yeah i figured a th 350 PO played swap parts on this truck before i got it so im tracking them down.. Well My Trans fluid reads above full .. lines up with the U in the word "full" on the stick itself... damn... so i got it outside running... i put it in gear and i think i heard a whistle or winy sound , but i need another person to get here to listen and locate ..
.nate
Old 07-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
71swb4x4

Did you check the trans fluid while the truck was running and in park? You can't get an accurate reading unless the truck is running.

Screeching with the wheel turned all the way each way is the power steering pump, it's common. I don't know if there is a fix but the easy thing to do would be to not turn it all the way. Hopefully someone smarter than me will chime in on that one.

Whistle or whiny sound, maybe you have a vacuum hose undone somewhere? That could explain why the truck isn't running well too.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #8
JORGIE95961

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
did you check the trans fluid while the truck was running and in park? You can't get an accurate reading unless the truck is running.

Screeching with the wheel turned all the way each way is the power steering pump, it's common. I don't know if there is a fix but the easy thing to do would be to not turn it all the way. Hopefully someone smarter than me will chime in on that one.

Whistle or whiny sound, maybe you have a vacuum hose undone somewhere? That could explain why the truck isn't running well too.
was thinkin vacuum hose as well
Old 07-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #9
72TealnWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
Did you check the trans fluid while the truck was running and in park? You can't get an accurate reading unless the truck is running.

thanks.. yes the truck was running and in park . It was level also.. The engine runs fine .. it's idling right now and i rev it.. its fine .. i keep it steady at probably 3000 rpms and it still sounds good.. I just had the power steering pump worked on.. i had a leak and they just fixed it
Old 07-08-2011, 03:26 PM   #10
slomotion
Old Duffer

If the truck drives, but feels like it's stuck in first gear, you may have broken the drive pin for the trans rear pump. Try re-posting in the eng/trans section and describe the problem there, I'd bet someone will zero right in on the problem.

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #11
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Sounds trans related hope ya figure it out..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:17 PM   #12
cpisani70@aol.com

So I had almost the same thing happen to my truck shortly after I got it, turns out the problems was junk in the fuel bowl once it sat for a while it would start and act normal then once the fuel in the bowl started to swirl it would run like crap! Took the carb apart cleaned all the junk out , it's been fine ever since. Just an idea!
Posted via Mobile Device
cpisani70@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #13
72TealnWhite

hey, thanks... yeah, that would all make sense to me ... but the engine has just been pulled, heads done, ect... "junk fuel in the bowl"? i'm not sure i'm familiar with that .. and besides .. when it is in park and i accelerate just like i would be driving on the road.. it sounds just fine .. so either trans or i'm lost.. just praying that this is a quick easy fix and not a week in the shop and 500 or more dollars .....

Chevy Gods Please Help..
amen
Old 07-08-2011, 08:29 PM   #14
Daddy Brim

Just a thought check the vacuum line to the trans. that would cause it to not want to shift, but I don't think it would create all of the other symptoms.

67 C-20 Custom Camper
68 Nova 396 it does wheelies
2005 Buick Century the one the wife drives
1989 Toyota Tercel to drive when I can't put gas in the first 2.
Daddy Brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #15
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpisani70@aol.com View Post
So I had almost the same thing happen to my truck shortly after I got it, turns out the problems was junk in the fuel bowl once it sat for a while it would start and act normal then once the fuel in the bowl started to swirl it would run like crap! Took the carb apart cleaned all the junk out , it's been fine ever since. Just an idea!
Posted via Mobile Device
I'd think running it that low, you sucked up crap thats been accumulating in the bottom of your Tank.
My guess is a Carb rebuild.

back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #16
71 super

I agree with WWOtR, sounds like you need to put in a clean fuel filter and clean your carb. Mine has done that several times and each time it has been the fuel filter.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:54 PM   #17
72TealnWhite

yup did that a while ago... those clear filters are a nice commodity.. So i'm reading alot and thinking maybe the vac hose that goes from the carb to the trans? or where is that vac hose im looking for ? and does it go to the modulator also? Is there anything i can try when i get underneath ? or look for?

I'm convinced now : I took it out and the motor runs good.. In Park or Nuetral it sounds good.. rev to driving rpms and the motor sounds good.. It just seems to be in low gear all the time .. Tomorrow i'll check and see .. and i'll drive it in L1 then L2 and then D and see what happens...

I'm really interested in the vacuum theory .. and praying its something i can do at home rather than shelling out loot .. to hear i got more problems..

thanks
nate
Old 07-08-2011, 11:24 PM   #18
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

You should try to find an older transmission guy, one who knows these transmissions. An older mechanic, maybe one who has retired...can be a valuable asset. I know that the basic mechanical systems should be easily diagnosed and fixed, but we've become accustomed to the diagnostic systems that the OBDII vehicles (and OBDI) have. But, vacuum lines can be checked easily. They will hold a vacuum, or they will leak. If the ends are hard, they may leak. Cracks? Leaks. The vacuum modulator can also leak, and pull tranmission fluid from the transmission, into the intake and create smoke in the exhaust. Not always, but possible. Weak modulators may cause problems.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:46 AM   #19
o6r1man

sounds like a plugged fuel filter to me. under a load it wont want to go, but in park it would rev easy. I would change that and then worry about the trans.
2012 Denali HD dmax
o6r1man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:14 AM   #20
custom72c20

It's the vacuum line from the carb to the modulator on the trans. It's that whistling you've been hearing.

Old pic of my 72: http://img340.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0435co5.jpg
04 Silverado Daily Driver
68 GMC short step http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=379665

"I'll beat you to the gas station!!"

custom72c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:27 AM   #21
eagleuh1

I 'd go with the fuel filter. Change the plastic or metal one if there is one and also the sintered bronze one in the carb where the fuel line connects. If its been sitting a long time, its going to have a lot of shellac built up in the fuel lines and tank. You might have to do this a few times like I did until you get it all out. My symptoms were exactly like you'res. Exactly. I had sheets of the stuff in my filter. Just keep cleaning it out, it eventually all comes out and you'll run good. You may have to clean your fuel tank and pickup sock out as well. Good luck. Jim
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:42 AM   #22
72TealnWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleuh1 View Post
I 'd go with the fuel filter. Change the plastic or metal one if there is one and also the sintered bronze one in the carb where the fuel line connects. If its been sitting a long time, its going to have a lot of shellac built up in the fuel lines and tank. You might have to do this a few times like I did until you get it all out. My symptoms were exactly like you'res. Exactly. I had sheets of the stuff in my filter. Just keep cleaning it out, it eventually all comes out and you'll run good. You may have to clean your fuel tank and pickup sock out as well. Good luck. Jim
Ive replaced the fuel filter.. have a clear filter.. fuel is there and its clean motor runs fine.. just not in gear

Time to check these vacuum lines... i looked a little (first glance) i noticed a vacuum line (rubber) that is not hooked up to anything.. sticking out by the carb. And it leads to a metal line.... that goes down near the trans somewhere? Can i locate this modulator from underneath the truck.. I'm going to check vacuum today and see where i get... anything specific i am looking for? Im really close to taking it in... the shop.

Another question: If it was a vacuum related problem would it have ran fine for two days and just clunk . Se drove nice for two days. Out to the garage... thanks in advance
Old 07-09-2011, 11:22 AM   #23
C20-67_N_MO
Champagne Taste on Beer Budget

Wink Re: Frustrated ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72TealnWhite View Post
Time to check these vacuum lines... i looked a little (first glance) i noticed a vacuum line (rubber) that is not hooked up to anything.. sticking out by the carb. And it leads to a metal line.... that goes down near the trans somewhere?

YUP!

Looks like you found the problem. That vacuum line connects to your moduator on your transmission. They don't shift well w/o that line connected to a vacuum source on your intake manifold.

Connect it and see if that solves your problem.

Good Luck!
Old 07-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #24
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

The modulator will be on the right hand side of the transmission near the pan..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:59 AM   #25
Dunenutt
Newbee

Do a google search for TH350 modulator. There are alot of pics of where to locate it. The other end of the vacuum line goes to the intake manifold behind the carburetor. Sounds like they did'nt get it back on good after they worked on it.
Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote