The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2010, 09:46 AM   #101
FLDBRED

Re: Where did your love of 67-72's come from?

It was 1970,Stokes State Forest,we were deer hunting.We saw a Ford f150 go off the icy road and get stuck.We tried to pull him out with our Jeepster Commando,no luck!Then a guy in a 1970 Chevy 4x4 shortbed,with locking front and rear and large for the time tires pulled him out no problem! I 've been hooked since!
FLDBRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:45 PM   #102
BADPURPLE70CHEVY
406 Powered

Saw an older guy today who had a 71 4x4 and it was rough but he has had it since 1972. When i asked why he kept on driving it he said as long as he can remember chevys were all he drove his whole life and you could not change him. lol, good answer huh?
72 4x4
BADPURPLE70CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:48 PM   #103
72junky

My Uncle bought a new '69 C10 ,Maroon with White Cab roof, 6cyl/3onthetree, Plane Jane SWB (rare for NE Ohio) and drove by to show it off. I was 12, it was my first ride in a pickup truck. It was SO COOL!!! 3 years later, we would go to Western PA with a guy my Dad worked with to ride dirt bikes at his cabin with his son. It was a '70 C20 camper special, loaded. It was the first truck I drove when I got my permit. I took it to a Quarry and filled it up with 1 1/2 tons of slag and took it back to the farm. Promptly got the F#&ker stuck in the barn yard and had to shovel the load out by hand. Still had to call a WrecKer to get it out. (I burried it to the axles front and rear!!!) Dad made me wash the truck, including climbing underneath and clean out all the mud, and fill the tank, and take the "green machine" back to Larry. I wanted that truck ever since. He was a drinker and totaled it into a tree about a year later... Bought my first truck when I was 20. Trip to Hastings, Neb delivering a '40 Ford street rod with a good friend, while there we bought 3 trucks. I found a '72 Cheyenne Super LWB, 350/TH350, PS, PB, AC, Tilt, Tach, cargo box, spare tire in bed, helper springs, custom order green/olive paint wrecked/rusted. Paid $800. Will bought a '67 C20 LWB, BB/4spd, ps, pb for $750 clean faded truck, and a '69 CST/10 LWB for $1,200 and we hauled them back Columbus, Ohio. As the saying goes........ over 20 trucks later. The rest is History!

PS: The Cheyenne Super died in '96 @ 527k miles after 4 engines and 3 trannys. It sits behind the shop. Keep tires with air under it, It's so rusted, the doors and chrome trim is falling off. I just don't have the heart to part it.............Too many memories. I'm truely lost with these trucks. Guess It's better that gambling, prostitutes, and drugs.....
'72 K10 custom/10 350/4spd,ps,pb,ac,tilt,tach,3:73 posi,buddy buckets - driver
'72 Cheyenne/10 swb 355/th350,factory black, loaded and lowered - toy
'72 Cheyenne/10 lwb, 350/th350,ps,pb,ac,tilt - current project build
'72 K5 Blazer CST 350/th350,ps,pb,ac,tilt,tach,3:73 posi - project rust bucket -Unfortunately Sold
plus 4 others too ashamed to post
72junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:01 PM   #104
spike38

An older friend of mine, Had a 67 when I was 12 or 13 years old.
He welded sheet metal into the floors, doors, And fenders.
Made a flat bed out of oak, And painted it satin black.
Mind you, This was the late 70's in SW Pennsylvania.
Ratrods were not the thing then. But that 327 wouldn't die.
Through out the following years, I watch Kenny replace
rusted out piece after piece. When he got married, His dad
offered him a newer truck. He turned it down.

Later, When I got older. I tried to find a similar year stepside,
But SW Pennsylvania was not kind to these trucks by the mid 80's
They were either rusted completely out, And in the junk yard.
Or well maintained members of the family. Either way, I new I was
going to have to wait. It's been over 20 years But I finally found
a solid 68 stepside, Had the funds in hand, And have the time, And place
to build it right.

Spike
spike38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:27 AM   #105
BenE

my dad bought a 69 new after I fell out of our 57 when the door popped open going around a curve. Scared us both pretty good! I learned to drive in that truck, 6 w/3ott. My first truck I ever bought was a 70 cst. Still have it tho its in pieces. I now have a 71 c30 I've driven for twenty years. The 70 is the current project. I started converting it to 4x4 about 16 years ago, but had put it aside. My daughter will be 16 in 2 years, hope to have it done for her when she starts driving.
BenE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:00 AM   #106
72BLUZ

mine came from brian and asa. i saw asa's and thought nice, but not really my thing. then brian got one and dropped his suspension and i thought nice, but i want a chevelle. then i got to paying more attention and then the fever hit me. i had to have a step side. then comes "72BLUZ"
Old 11-15-2010, 05:07 PM   #107
Fitz
Account Suspended

It's wednesday night poker with a couple of my friends...Chevelle Dave, the GTO Guru, and the Mustang Boy (that's short for Found On Road Dead). After 20 or so hands the beer has started to work on Chevelle Dave (69 396 SS with a 4 speed). His brain goes into neutral as he puts his mouth into high gear claiming he can outrun my 2007 Z06 at the local strip. I say: "BS, I can outrun that POS with my old pickup truck!" (67 stepside in re-assembly after paint)

20 grand and 14 months later "King Rat" comes to life. ZZ572 in a 3100 pound stepside truck, 4.10 posi rear and a JW Racing turbo 400. I never did tell Dave what he was running against until it was over. He turned high thirteens (good for that car) while my little old truck ran in the high elevens. Two whole seconds. What's not to like? Besides, Chicks dig it!
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:28 PM   #108
BADPURPLE70CHEVY
406 Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
It's wednesday night poker with a couple of my friends...Chevelle Dave, the GTO Guru, and the Mustang Boy (that's short for Found On Road Dead). After 20 or so hands the beer has started to work on Chevelle Dave (69 396 SS with a 4 speed). His brain goes into neutral as he puts his mouth into high gear claiming he can outrun my 2007 Z06 at the local strip. I say: "BS, I can outrun that POS with my old pickup truck!" (67 stepside in re-assembly after paint)

20 grand and 14 months later "King Rat" comes to life. ZZ572 in a 3100 pound stepside truck, 4.10 posi rear and a JW Racing turbo 400. I never did tell Dave what he was running against until it was over. He turned high thirteens (good for that car) while my little old truck ran in the high elevens. Two whole seconds. What's not to like? Besides, Chicks dig it!
Lol
72 4x4
Old 11-15-2010, 11:53 PM   #109
Valhalla

Been building cars and truck since I was 8 with my dad. I always loved the lines of these trucks. I saw one at a car show when I was 15 which was one of the coolest builds I ever saw. I have wanted one for years but had other cars to build first but now that I got my 70 its game on.

Cheap work is never good and good work is never cheap. Lesson = learn to do it all the right way on your own.

SqueegeeMan
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:31 PM   #110
NOSed69

Mom and dad cosigned for me on my 1st in 1996ish.Everything I did from that day forward revolved around trucks. 69 c10 long fleet. mint green. Was a factory 350/400 truck but it came with a mild 383. I had so much fun in that truck. I was the guy with the fastest ride out of all my high school buddys. I went threw 3-4 sets of rear tires within the first month. I to my wife for our first date in that truck. I broke my first ring and pinion in that truck. Met the girl I am still married to while driving that truck.Drove it to school and work for 3 years before I retired her to the dragstrip. Ended up doing as good as 10.80s with a 6 inch rodded 350 with aluminum heads and .730 inch solid roller with a 9" convertered and Tbraked 400. got in some serious money trouble and sold it to cover that. A friend from way back saw it one the trailer going to the crusher and bought the hull back for me. I never gave that guy a proper thanking. I still own it to this day. At present, its sitting with no motor trans or rear and I'm trying to decide which way to go with it. Gotta find you guys some pics!!
NOSed69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:40 PM   #111
jocko

Smile Re: Where did your love of 67-72's come from?

bought a 72 cheyenne beater when I was around 20-ish so I could park my 57 and "work on it" (i.e. throw money into a blender). Have been in love with them ever since. (Cheyennes, not blenders).

Unfortunately, all i did was drive the cheyenne and not take pics of it! (sorry) but here's the 57 that it supported. Bought the cheyenne for $1200 and sold it a year later for $2500. Now that's shrewd investing... (oh yeah, forgot about that little spun bearing/rebuild episode - so at least I broke even - better than I've done in real estate.)
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:22 PM   #112
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

My father had a 70 CST k20 blue on blue. My uncle got it in 71 or 72 and sold it to my dad a couple years later. As kids, my brother and i spent time with him riding around in it on the weekends. He had a thermo king AC unit on it, air compressor (under hood), custom timing switch (for the big hills), and Texson topper. This was his only truck until 1993 when he bought a new silverado. In addition to the fond memories, i just love the cab and body shape of these trucks and the wide and long boxes. How many vehicles last 23+ years, especially in salty MN? Still running and going to haul wood when he sold it in 93.
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:28 AM   #113
BADPURPLE70CHEVY
406 Powered

[QUOTE=jocko;4298653]bought a 72 cheyenne beater when I was around 20-ish so I could park my 57 and "work on it" (i.e. throw money into a blender). Have been in love with them ever since. (Cheyennes, not blenders).

Unfortunately, all i did was drive the cheyenne and not take pics of it! (sorry) but here's the 57 that it supported. Bought the cheyenne for $1200 and sold it a year later for $2500. Now that's shrewd investing... (oh yeah, forgot about that little spun bearing/rebuild episode - so at least I broke even - better than I've done in real estate.)[/QUOTE

Car looks like a great project.
72 4x4
Old 11-21-2010, 03:49 PM   #114
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

My love for these trucks came from riding around with my Grandad when I was a kid, hell when I was born my parents borrowed my Grandad's 68 GMC to bring me home from the hospital because it was nicer than their car and it had seatbelts. After my Grandad bought a newer truck back in 93 he sold his truck to my brother, who spun a bearing in the 305 V6 by hot rodding it. So me and my Dad found a 351 V6 for it and rebuilt it. My dad used it for a work truck for his drywall contracting company for a few years before he spun a bearing by going to fast on the highway (75 MPH with 4.56 gears). At this time I was about 17 and I told my Dad I wanted to take over the family truck, he said okay. Well life got in the way and my truck sat wothout an engine for about 10 years. Last year I got it running, and I drive it every chance I get. What makes my truck so special is that I remember all the trips to the store or the woods or where ever with my Grandad, he turned 86 a few weeks back and his health isn't the greatest, he has dementia and most times he doesn't remember who I am so those times are pretty special to me. So nowadays I cruise around with my 9 year old son and my 4 year old daughter and I'm sure they will have some love for these trucks too.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:29 PM   #115
67chevy1series

well when my dad was 5 to about 13 he liked chevys alot it was bow tie or die and he liked the 40s dodges . he seen two of them one day and he knocked on the door and he said could i go look at your trucks out there and she said those were my husbands hes cheating on me so you can have them then she said just so i can say i sold em ,im gonna sell you them for 35 dollars so my dad bought them .when he was old enough to drive he got a 64 chevy malibu it was green and it was an ss but the guy who he got ti from took all the ss stuff out so it looked like a plain jane he then went into the army in 78 and came backin 86 and got a 56 and a 56 he fixed the 56 every thing was done except for paint then we had some bills to pay so he got rid of it and that was before i was born then my brother about 10 they got im a 65 mustang he messed up in school so my dad soldit after that my brother went through many 71 72 chevys and then i was born in 1995 i liked trucks but i never paid attention to my dad when he would fix one then my dad got his 70 flatbed .but he liked the 67 68 better ,he soon found a 68 chevy suburban after that we were going to move and he had no place to put it so he junked it and when he did that i noticed how much i loved his suburban and in 2009 i got my cab my truck was 67 3/4 ton lwb fleetside i bought the cab and my dad gave me the front end from his suburban and my brother got a 68 2wd swb fleet side but he wanted to build a stepside so my dad traded the step side for the fleetside and thats howi got my fleet side you can find out the rest in my b uild page if you did get all the way throught this then you are a trooper and thanks for your time
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:00 PM   #116
50bomb

I agree same here. Alot of bad choices and trades as well that I lost alot of money in. Now I got a 67 chevy lwb that I am building as a daily driver and This time ima keep it and not try and make no profit on. If this is my last oldies I am fine with it. I also have a 51 pontiac chieftain 4 door. Still underconstrution. My dad and grandpa are my inspiration towards these old trucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grs View Post
I've wasted a lot of money on cars.
50bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:08 PM   #117
Arizona oldguy

My love for these trucks stems from living in Michigan, my dad always had Suburbans, we made lots of trips camping in these old trucks, I remember laying in the back seat early in the morning (still dark out) a canoe tied on the roof, we were heading up north in Michigan or Canada. In 1967 he purchased a brand new Suburban, 283 with a glide, the 3 door model, our whole family went to pick it up in Pontiac Michigan, it had Zebart undercoating (still remember that smell) anyway I was 8 at the time, we had a lot of great trips in that truck. We made a big trip out west in 1968 towing a camp trailer, went to Yellowstone etc. We moved to Arizona in 1969 he was killed in a car accident in 1972, miss him bad, so I am building a 67 short bed, painting it maroon like our old Suburban.
Arizona oldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:30 AM   #118
jay_dubb2k5

My dad had a 66 step, and my step dad had a few 67-72 fleets. I have always been in love with both body styles. I have been lurking here for a while and I have a good lead on a 67 68 and a 71 for sale in my area at some reasonable prices.
jay_dubb2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:49 PM   #119
BADPURPLE70CHEVY
406 Powered

I guess im in love with these trucks to much. Going to look at another one for sale. Wish me luck.
72 4x4
Old 04-28-2016, 05:01 PM   #120
89AKurt

Technically, a friend had this pickup, I thought it looked good, when he needed money, I bought it. It's grown on me. Especially since my MINI has become a gold-plated money pit (it's days are numbered).
Old 04-28-2016, 05:37 PM   #121
LONGHORN1962

It started in 1968, Dad had a '68 Custom, white with a blue interior. In 1970 he got a new Custom, green and white 402. In 1971 he got a new Cheyenne, red and white. All were long beds 1/2 tons. I got my first one in '76 a '68 C20 307 4 speed, still have it too. Since then I've had quite a few nice ones and like a dummy I let them go. In 2015 I finally got my '68 Longhorn, been looking for one for years. I guess you could say I've got 67-72 fever, and the only cure is buy more.
LONGHORN1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:40 PM   #122
summitflier

I like them more now than I did back in the 70's. Back then I like fleet-sides, now I like step-sides. It's just a classic look, timeless. American, simple. No matter how you dress them up (raised up 4x4, lowered, stock, raked, traditional, h-tech,) whatever... they
always look good. And now.. you can get a ton of upgrades for them.
05 Ram 1500 5.7L

My build thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676545
summitflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:03 PM   #123
89AKurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHORN1962 View Post
... and like a dummy I let them go. ...
LOL
I've heard that so many times from antique auto club members.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:16 PM   #124
cbeerman

My grandfather had a 1970 hugger orange c10 LWB straight 6 / 3 on the tree.
cbeerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:56 PM   #125
canuckian

My dad had a 68 C20 LWB step side with the inline 6 and 4 spd with granny gear. It was just a basic truck but I liked everything about it. I was only 10 yrs old or so when he sold it and I've wanted one ever since. I presently have a 72 K10 short step side and I will own a 68 C10 at some point.
canuckian is offline   Reply With Quote