The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2011, 09:32 AM   #101
firedog

Re: Montana to Kansas the EAGLE has landed

I see you still have the feathers truck that has to draw a lot of attention when it is out and about, I love the look of it. But I would love to see a photo chop of it with a porter built drop!
Posted via Mobile Device
Tach/tilt/buddy buckets
Bagged/18" Wheels
Black on Black

Project "Pandemic" the Farm Rat
1927 Chevy Capitol Truck Rat rod
'30 Model A Frame
Dual Carb 5.3 LS
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=804162

2007 GMC 4 DOOR 2WD
BUILT 5.3 STAGE 3 CAM 93 TUNE
LIFTED 22X12 WHEELS 33" TIRES

2023 Jeep RENEGADE
Wifes ride
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #102
Revoh

Smile Re: Montana to Kansas the EAGLE has landed

My dad gave me one of these new Highway 61 models for Christmas and told me a story about these decals.

Dad is a retired District Manager with Chevrolet Motor Division (Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri). Those are the guys that persuade the dealers to order new cars and trucks from the factory, as well as some accessories and other things. They're the factory rep for the company.

Anyway, Chevy was really pushing these decal packages. They'd just come in a roll with a squeege for the dealer to install on the trucks. They were having some kind of national contest for the District Managers to see how many they could sell to the dealers. My dad decided to go all out, and would sometimes install the kits (wearing his suit and everything) right on the showroom floor. My granddad was a used car dealer, so that was kind of the way dad approached things.

Dad said he installed dozens of these decal packages, mostly on pickups and El Caminos, and sold hundreds more decals. He said every dealer around ended up with several rolls of these lying around on a file cabinet somewhere. Of course, he also said that the trucks were usually really hard for the dealers to sell once the decals were installed.

Dad won the contest for selling more of these decals than any other District Manager in the country, and Chevy gave him an early electronic hand-held calculator for his efforts (those were really expensive back then). I think I still actually have that calculator in a box somewhere.

Anyway, long, boring story, I know. I just thought since this truck with the Eagle decals seemed popular, someone might find it marginally interesting.

My car blog, for your reading pleasure.
Revoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:23 PM   #103
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Great addition Revoh... you guys have quite a family history.

Now you just need to surprise Dad with Randy's truck.

Is that a Hwy 61 model?

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:48 PM   #104
Bert W

Revoh, That story is a great addition to the thread. These decaled trucks are really unique. I remember a white Blazer running around town when I was a kid.
Bert W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:49 PM   #105
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoh View Post
My dad gave me one of these new Highway 61 models for Christmas and told me a story about these decals.

Dad is a retired District Manager with Chevrolet Motor Division (Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri). Those are the guys that persuade the dealers to order new cars and trucks from the factory, as well as some accessories and other things. They're the factory rep for the company.

Anyway, Chevy was really pushing these decal packages. They'd just come in a roll with a squeege for the dealer to install on the trucks. They were having some kind of national contest for the District Managers to see how many they could sell to the dealers. My dad decided to go all out, and would sometimes install the kits (wearing his suit and everything) right on the showroom floor. My granddad was a used car dealer, so that was kind of the way dad approached things.

Dad said he installed dozens of these decal packages, mostly on pickups and El Caminos, and sold hundreds more decals. He said every dealer around ended up with several rolls of these lying around on a file cabinet somewhere. Of course, he also said that the trucks were usually really hard for the dealers to sell once the decals were installed.

Dad won the contest for selling more of these decals than any other District Manager in the country, and Chevy gave him an early electronic hand-held calculator for his efforts (those were really expensive back then). I think I still actually have that calculator in a box somewhere.

Anyway, long, boring story, I know. I just thought since this truck with the Eagle decals seemed popular, someone might find it marginally interesting.
COOL story.
I would definitely drive a real ochre swb with decals.
Thanks for the info!

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:08 PM   #106
Revoh

Thumbs up Re: Montana to Kansas the EAGLE has landed

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BlckButy View Post

Now you just need to surprise Dad with Randy's truck.

Is that a Hwy 61 model?
I think his truck already has a nice home! Who knows, maybe my dad put those decals on there.

Yeah, it's a Highway 61 die cast model. I think it's pretty nice!

My car blog, for your reading pleasure.
Revoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:44 PM   #107
Robert Bergstrom

I am in the process of restoring a 1972 SWB Cheyenne Super that came with the "Feathers" decal. Needless to say I cannot find these decals anywhere. There were some NOS on Ebay a year or so ago but you had to buy the LWB truck to get them (they were found at a dealer stuck on a dusty shelf). I have seen both eagle and hawk decals on Ebay this last year. Growing up in the Seattle area I remember eagle Blazers, trucks, and a 1776 suburban (there might have been a flame truck also driving around). I was driving thru Lyden Washington in the mid 1980's and remember seeing a white 72 SWB Cheyenne with the feathers or eagle package sitting in someones backyard. I went back a year later and it was gone. Very rare to see one driving around today.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:41 PM   #108
BHyatt

Just imagine cruising around and with the radio cranked and the wings pulled back.
BHyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #109
teeitup
Just like to part out trucks!!

This truck is for sale in truck section. I do not want this thread to turn into a for sale thread please. Just letting you all know its for sale. Thanks Randy
1958 Cameo (one of 1405 built, it was my dads)
2020 chevy Apex 4x4 crew cab
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS
1976 K20, sold new originally out of my dads chevy dealership

Members that I've met, over 200 probably closer to 300 in the 12 years I've been on this site, everyone I met "It was a pleasure"
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #110
flashed

If I had the cash it would be in my driveway ,thats a cool old truck.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #111
teeitup
Just like to part out trucks!!

Here ya go Paul alot of pics on page 1 and 3 of it in this thread. Nice talking to you on the phone. Thanks Randy
1958 Cameo (one of 1405 built, it was my dads)
2020 chevy Apex 4x4 crew cab
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS
1976 K20, sold new originally out of my dads chevy dealership

Members that I've met, over 200 probably closer to 300 in the 12 years I've been on this site, everyone I met "It was a pleasure"
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:33 PM   #112
Robert Bergstrom

Here is an article from the August 1972 Hot Rod magazine on a GMC Sierra Grande. What is interesting is there appears to be some unique body decals that could be ordered . I was not aware that GMC had their own "mod bods" like Chevy.
Attached Images