The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2011, 12:19 AM   #1
Bus Ted Knuckle
Son of a gun

Re: 07 GMC Sierra Towing Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin63 View Post
Keep in mind that the towing capacity is not just the power and gearing, it actually has more to do with the suspension/load capacity (spring rate), braking capacity, E load range tires, and transmission cooling. My question is: what is the weight of the trailer and its tongue or pin weight?
If you look in your manual, it has a chart that lists towing capacities. The only difference in towing capacities (given the same engine, 4x or not, and body style) is the rear gears. It does not list trans cooler or not, breaking capacity or not, etc., just rear gears.

As Leevon said, the difference is in the gears.

BEATERS ARE NEATER
Bus Ted Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
Alaskan SS

Thanks, all. The chart in the manual says if I re-gear from 3.42 to 4.10, max trailer weight goes from 5400 to 7400 lbs. My trailer weighs 5380. I'm not sure of the tongue weight. But since the weight is right on the limits of my truck's capabilities, I'm just exploring some options. I really appreciate all the great advice!

Last edited by Alaskan SS; 12-19-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Alaskan SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:22 PM   #3
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus Ted Knuckle View Post
If you look in your manual, it has a chart that lists towing capacities. The only difference in towing capacities (given the same engine, 4x or not, and body style) is the rear gears. It does not list trans cooler or not, breaking capacity or not, etc., just rear gears.

So, if the tonque weight of the trailer exceeds the payload capacity it's still OK as long as you have the proper gears? That's not exactly safe. The gearing listed is based on the capability of the transmission. Check the equipment differences of the trucks with the HD or towing packages.

I would absolutely determine the tongque weight of your trailer. For a trailer that heavy, assuming your trailer has electric brakes, I would recommend using a brake controller (if not, a surge brake), weight distribution hitch and an anti-sway device, The gearing is not going to make a difference in tongue weight, braking capacity, or trailer sway, etc. Keep in mind, just because the truck can pull something doesn't necessarily mean the truck is able to control the load. I've seen too many people lose control of their trailers, and almost everytime, the out of control rig and trailer has damaged other vehicles around them. Be careful.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
Bus Ted Knuckle
Son of a gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin63 View Post
So, if the tonque weight of the trailer exceeds the payload capacity it's still OK as long as you have the proper gears?

That is not what I am saying at all.

BEATERS ARE NEATER
Bus Ted Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Quote:

Quote:
That is not what I am saying at all.
I'm just trying to make the OP aware that there is a lot more to consider than just gearing to safely pull a 5000+ lbs trailer with a half ton truck since he specifically asked in his original post about "increasing the towing capacity." My two-horse tag trailer with one draft horse weighs in at 5500 lbs and has a tongue weight of 1100 pounds (due to where the axles are located and load location). That would not be safe for a half-ton truck no matter what rear gear.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:33 PM   #6
LEEVON

You're right Vin, don't want to give him misleading information I agree with all of your points. I just wanted to state the simplest way to increase his towing capacity is gearing. A 1/2 ton truck will always be a 1/2 ton truck. If you put two side-by-side one with 3.42 and one with 4.10 given all the other parameters are the same the towing capacity is higher, and easy to figure by looking in the Owner's manual. He may be able to increase to 6500+ lbs capacity in gears alone. Of course some power upgrades, helper bags, trailer brake, etc..would also help. And a transmission cooler is a MUST for any towing.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #7
Alaskan SS

Hey guys. Like I said, I really appreciate the advice. Let's see...

Trans cooler - check. There is one installed on my truck.
Trailer brake - the trailer has electric brakes, and adding this to my truck is an easy fix, and will be installed before I tow the trailer. I towed the trailer to my parent's house with my dad's '97 F-350 Diesel. There it sits until i get it next summer and just keep it at my house.
Tongue weight - The trailer was sold to me with a weight distributing stabilizing hitch, and the max tongue weight with my truck with this style hitch is 1000 lbs, according to the manual. The max payload for my truck, according to the sticker on the B pillar, is right at 1580 lbs. The trailer is a 27' Forest River Cherokee Lite Toy Hauler. I haven't been able to find the exact trailer, but I've done some research on similar trailers by Forest River, and I haven't seen a tongue weight more than 931 lbs. Of course this is a dry weight, so this is definitely something to consider.

Last edited by Alaskan SS; 12-28-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Alaskan SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
stroker87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan SS View Post
The trailer was sold to me with a weight distributing stabilizing hitch, and the max tongue weight with my truck with this style hitch is 1000 lbs
its surprised me how fast people tell you to start swapping and changing stuff on your truck

the 4.8 is no monster at towing but its very capable long as your not in a rush, the weight distributing setup dos up your towing capacity some hitches have stickers on them stating this (my 07 suburban is rated 5000lbs and with the weight distributing kit 10000lbs) if I need to prove this to any one I'll take a picture!

weight distributing along with trailer brakes setup properly you can safely tow more then the 5400lbs you truck is rated at, swapping your gear in your rear axle will give you more power to tow but does not up the weight rating of the trucks towing capacity

if you was to install 4.56 gears dos not mean your hitch will handle more weight LOL! only the weight distributing setup can do that because it equalizes the load

with all that said if you take your time and leave your self stopping room you should be able to pull 8 to 10k safely

Last edited by stroker87; 01-14-2012 at 01:52 PM.
stroker87 is offline   Reply With Quote