The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2005, 01:11 AM   #1
badone07
Project 2 Resume

Weekend started early. Thursday night went to see Larry The Cable Guy at the Allentown Fairgrounds. Saturday finished painting up a mig cart I finally got around to building for my 20 yr old Century mig. Replumbed my parts washer. Welded up drill press motor's pulley shaft. Mowed the front yard. Sunday went to Numidia Raceway . Which surprisingly only saw around 28 people in the stands, at most. Car count seemed very low. I'm sure gas prises factored in to whether racers wanted to tow their rides there or not. Monday organized my shed and some yard clean up.

1984 C30 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
1998 Jeep Cherokee 4x4
2004 Chevy Trailblazer 4x4 (wife's)
1970 Mustang FB fully tubed (getting 521 BBF & powerglide)
1978 Nova 2dr (going BBCaddy & S.P. th400)
1984 Monte SS (circle track car)
badone07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 07:59 AM   #2
bigblock73
yeller

Thanks guys for the compliments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz
Nice job, Jeff. Looks professionally installed
Did you decided to go low on the firewall for the coil wire to conceal it?
Yes, I mounted the feed-thru low on the firewall so it wouldn't be an eyesore, and I also wanted to run a short coil wire from it to the distributor. I am trying to keep the engine bay as clean as possible, this is why the firewall is shaved and all the ignition components are on the inside out of sight. The wiring will also be hidden, all you should see are plug wires.

Last edited by bigblock73; 09-08-2005 at 08:08 AM.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:48 AM   #3
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Started the long Labor day weekend replacing the disc pads on the truck. Then, decided to replace the oil pump. It didn't really need it, but it was the original. The challenge was installing the pickup tube/screen into the oil pump. Finally got it installed.

Then, took one last trek up to the high country. Set up camp at ~11,000 feet in White River National Forest. The season is almost over because it was really wet and cold at night. Then, hiked to Hanging Lake. A 1,200 foot climb over 1.2 mile stretch. All in all, it was all good.
Attached Images

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 04:57 PM   #4
Izzy
Trucker.

Built a cross brace for my father-in-laws boat dock to replace a rusty one that had buckled in the middle. Welded it up from 1/4" x 2" angle iron. Was a pita to put in since the water was choppy and I was trying not to drop his $200 craftsman drill in the lake.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 12:07 PM   #5
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Wicked Sensation Glad to see you got it out. I haven't heard from you since you ordered the parts. Did everything come out ok?

This is what I did on labor day weekend:

My 87 pulled my Seadoo Speedster and my buddies 77 pulled the Pontoon boat.

I also recieved the Fuel line set for the TPI conversion:

bigblock73
Progress looks good man
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 08:57 PM   #6
Wicked Sensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captkaos
Wicked Sensation Glad to see you got it out. I haven't heard from you since you ordered the parts. Did everything come out ok?
Yea I think everything was ok. I put the battery tray in over labor day too. I have to start saving my pennies for the rocker panel replacement. I dont trust my skills with bodywork at this point, and I want it done right. So I am saving now to pay a local bodyshop to do the rockers. And also, Kiley and I are expecting december 1st, so most of my money has gone to the baby fund for now. Glad to see that you are getting back into your projects. I hope to get mine into shape and make it back to Pigeon Forge with a completed truck, hahhahahaa
67 F100 352/3 speed
72 Nova 307- 30,000 original miles
Wicked Sensation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 12:28 PM   #7
1987 Shortwide

Phantom.... I love the look of that truck witht hose rear wheels/tires

Jeff... That Ignition looks great! I'm stealing your mounting spot for the coil wire coming through the firewall! I need to try and get mine hung and start running wires.
My 87 buildup
Daily Driver: 99 Sierra SLE 4X4. Black on Black and harder than hell to keep clean.
1987 Shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 12:41 PM   #8
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987 Shortwide
Jeff... That Ignition looks great! I'm stealing your mounting spot for the coil wire coming through the firewall! I need to try and get mine hung and start running wires.
Thanks...and cool! If you buy the MSD feed-thru like I did, you will need a 1" hole saw (if I remember correctly) to make it fit. Do it before paint. I did mine after, and got lucky I didn't F anything up.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:45 PM   #9
1987 Shortwide

I have all of the above... Yea, I'm going to try and get everything done before paint. I also came up with a few crazy ideas that I think you'll like when I get around to them. How about an engine bay where it'll take you a good 15 minutes to find a single wire?
My 87 buildup
Daily Driver: 99 Sierra SLE 4X4. Black on Black and harder than hell to keep clean.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:50 PM   #10
bigblock73
yeller

Share your ideas there dood. The only wires you should see in Yellers compartment will be the plug wires...and the wires coming outta the fuse box (but only for a few inches).
Old 09-12-2005, 12:55 PM   #11
1987 Shortwide

You'll have to see my plug wires I guess, but I'm going behind the heads and under the headers with them (easiest route with turbo headers...) Remember I ran the painless harness so I'll be exiting the cab in a hidden location (not sure where yet, but I'll find one) and the headlight loom will of course run in the fenderwell.

My next idea is pretty interesting however, and I hope I can get it to work right...
I'll run the starter wiring down through the passenger side rollcage bar into the frame, then cross over under the motor mount to the starter. The 1-wire alternator wire will run down the driver side bar, and if I can pull it off, I'll run the two lines from the master cylinder down that bar too, and then all of the brake lines will be concealed and hidden. The only thing I can think of that I can't hide well is the fact that my temp sender goes in the top of my intake, but I may try to work it over to the cylinder head...
My 87 buildup
Old 09-12-2005, 01:06 PM   #12
bigblock73
yeller

I thought about running my plug wires behind the headers, but with the looms I am running, I think they will look just fine....plus that method looks like a PITA to route and service. I did my starter wiring just like you mentioned and my alternator wiring is very similar...you actually only see the alt wire for a few inches until it ducks behind the frame and dissappears. My front end wires (lights, horn, etc) will all be routed in the frame, making fender removal easier if that ever has to happen...plus they will still be concealed. As far as your temp sender, why not hide it in a straight piece of polished alum tubing or something...bolted to the intake with ss insulated line clamps? I think I am going that route with mine.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:10 PM   #13
1987 Shortwide

Hmm, I really like that idea for the temp sender line. I think I may also look into routing the headlight wiring as you are speaking of, that may be easier than my route...
My 87 buildup
Old 09-12-2005, 04:24 PM   #14
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987 Shortwide
Hmm, I really like that idea for the temp sender line.
You could "cap" off the open end of the tubing with a nylon/rubber plug the same diameter as the tubing...and have your wiring exit thru one small hole in it before it gets to the sender. It would give it a finished look if you ask me. I will be doing something like this...but I am running mechanical gauges...so it will be slightly different.

I need to make a trip to the hardware store and see whats available for this.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:17 PM   #15
1987 Shortwide

Well, mine's mechanical too....
My 87 buildup
Old 09-12-2005, 06:04 PM   #16
bigblock73
yeller

I have been thinking of cutting a slit down one side of the tubing, tucking the mechanical line in it (so its inside the tubing), and slightly pinching the tubing back together to hold the line in. Then when I mount it, I just have to be sure the cut open part isn't visible...which should be easy to do. I don't know if I want to take apart the sensor end just to slide it in the tubing...and then try to reassemble it.

I sure hope we aren't hijacking this thread to much...after all, it is last weeks edition.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:54 PM   #17
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Wicked Sensation Congrats to Kiley and you. Post some progress on that thing.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote