The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
greasemonkey71

overwhelmed

i am so overwhelmed with this swap
greasemonkey71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Re: overwhelmed

Break it up into smaller tasks (wiring, fuel, engine mounting, etc.) and it will seem a lot easier to accomplish. After all, you have to eat an elephant one bite at a time.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
thump16

Jonboy is right. I have stopped at wiring for now to take a breather and to clear my head because I have a tendency to want to be all over the swap trying to multi task. take small steps and/or set weekly goals as to what portion you want to finish.
thump16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
Crash_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasemonkey71 View Post
What is the number 1 thing that is overwhemming you?

Maybe others here can help..

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Crash's Roof over Lake Home

Crash's 1988 Land Cruiser Build
Crash_OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
TR65

Do something on the project everyday no matter how small. Pretty soon you will be finished.

TR

LS2 Swap Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413880
TR65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
usmcchevy
Has more rust than truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR65 View Post
Do something on the project everyday no matter how small. Pretty soon you will be finished.

TR
I agree all the little steps add up.

LSx Swap FAQ index
usmcchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #7
mooseknuckles

baby steps.....
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:35 PM   #8
nomrlz

i've seen several threads on different forums like this. big projects can definitely wear a guy (or gal) down
99 Hayabusa 8.72 @ 162
00 Hayabusa 9.33 @ 153
nomrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:27 AM   #9
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Power through, finish strong lol.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:44 AM   #10
c10seconds

Quote:
I hear ya. Ive thought about terminating my project and selling what I have to buy something already done... SEVERAL TIMES!!! But I just cant get myself to do it.

Just keep going!!!
c10seconds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #11
ctandc

Having done my share of swaps and project cars, I’ve found that breaking things down BEFORE you start spinning wrenches REALLY helps.

Like others have said, break the swap down into ‘sections’. Wiring, fuel, engine mounting etc.

WRITE those down. Then under each heading sit down and write each thing that needs to be completed under each heading. Do this for the ENTIRE project. It will seem daunting.

Now concentrate on ONE Task until it is done. No matter how small.

It’s the ONLY way you can get it all done without thinking you are going to drown. I know some guys can do all over the map, but it’s easier for me (and I tend to remember things that need to be done when I’m going over each part of the project to write things down) to map it all out and attach each task, no matter how small.

Good luck.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #12
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I agree with CTANDC, my swap took over 9 months of every other weekend and about 3 of 5 nights a week with about 2 hours a night. so I feel your pain!

WHat all are you doing? swap motor/trans/fuel system/cooling?

Give us some details of what your swapping and maybe we can help you that way.

Another thing is have a buddy come over and help you, you would be surprised how an extra set of hands and conversation can get stuff done quicker.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #13
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde65 View Post
IAnother thing is have a buddy come over and help you, you would be surprised how an extra set of hands and conversation can get stuff done quicker.
My brother was a HUUUGE part of getting my truck done. Since it wasn't his project (or bankroll) he was far more objective as to getting things done, and doing so correctly. He was able to weigh in on things without getting stressed out by budget/time etc... Might seem lame, but it helped prevent burning out or losing steam. (That and my old man wanting it back out of his shop)

Old 04-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #14
greasemonkey71

I have the motor and trans mounted. Im trying to do the wiring now but i have no idea where to start
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #15
Custom 68

Quote:
I have the motor and trans mounted. Im trying to do the wiring now but i have no idea where to start
Posted via Mobile Device
ok maybe it is in other posts but what are you using for a wiring harness? Is this a factory one with all the "extra" stuff you probably dont need or is it an aftermarket or a modified factory one that is marked and ready. It can be overwhelming if you are starting with an unmarked factory harness. Let us know what you have.
Basically I would install all the sensors if that is not done. depending on wiring length you will need to determine where you want to mount the computer.
Oh it will be worth it when you fire it up the first time. Then even better when you drive it. Then that long road trip... You get the idea.
Hang in there. I did my swap about 5 years ago so there was not nearlly the amount of help or info out there but it all went well. Then over the winter when I added the turbo that got pretty tiring but like said just a little at a time.
Good luck
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #16
Crash_OK

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
If you are using the factory wiring, then, you need to read the information on this site if you have not already.. http://www.lt1swap.com/

Good luck..

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Crash's Roof over Lake Home

Crash's 1988 Land Cruiser Build
Crash_OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #17
ls1nova71

Well you know what they say, if it were easy, everybody would be doing it.

Seriously though, I think we've all been there. Like everyone else has said, take it one step at a time.Read the LT1Swap site, and if that doesn't clear it up for you, or you just don't have a good grasp on wiring in general, maybe you would be better off with an aftermarket harness, or find someone who will mod your original one. Don't let not knowing how to do something overwhelm you, no one was born knowing how to do this sort of thing, we just all learn by doing and so will you.

Keep your chin up man, and when its all said and done you'll be able to sit back and say I did that! I knknow, I did my first swap 12 years ago when there was literally only a couple of people doing them and I got through it.

Positive thoughts my man!
Posted via Mobile Device

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #18
greasemonkey71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom 68 View Post
ok maybe it is in other posts but what are you using for a wiring harness? Is this a factory one with all the "extra" stuff you probably dont need or is it an aftermarket or a modified factory one that is marked and ready. It can be overwhelming if you are starting with an unmarked factory harness. Let us know what you have.
Basically I would install all the sensors if that is not done. depending on wiring length you will need to determine where you want to mount the computer.
Oh it will be worth it when you fire it up the first time. Then even better when you drive it. Then that long road trip... You get the idea.
Hang in there. I did my swap about 5 years ago so there was not nearlly the amount of help or info out there but it all went well. Then over the winter when I added the turbo that got pretty tiring but like said just a little at a time.
Good luck
Dave

Everything is all stock from an 03 sierra
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #19
6.0 1955

We have all been there with our projects. My first swap I was so lost but got lucky and found s local tuner who has taught me a lot about the wiring for these swaps. If you do get to a point of being overwhelmed look around your local car groups and see who can help. Usually there is someone who can and will help. This website is great for info but when it comes to getting dirty and pushing you along there's nothing like accountability from someone right there with you. The wiring layouts are posted on ls1tech.com and other sites. Just use what you need and delete the rest. Again ask your tune what he recommnds to keep before getting to far. That way when you go for a tune you and the tuner will be on the same page. Good luck and keep going. This swap is definately worth it in the end.
Posted via Mobile Device
6.0 1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #20
ls1nova71

Click on this page of LT1swap.com and read the whole thing, this should get you pointed in the right direction http://www.lt1swap.com/2004vortec_pcm.htm

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #21
Custom 68

I have done the wiring thing taking the stock one and getting rid of all the extra wires and making it look nice. I dont mind that but it can be tedious. My second swap I got a painless just because I could afford it and it made life much easier.
All that said they can be modified (by you) or if you can afford it there are several places that will modify your harness for you, this is cheaper than a new one. Either way hang in there.
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #22
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I'll add this, if for some reason there is any budget issue that your concerned about...
If you are ever close to giving, up; it will always cost you less to just finish the job. IF you give up/sell the project/switch ideas etc...you've already spent the $ and taken the depreciation. You'll never sell a project for what you have in it if its half done, so take a breath and finish strong.
You WANT to do it, and youll be HAPPY and PROUD when it's done.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #23
OldCreek

There's nothing wrong with walking away for a week or two...

Been there, done that.
1970 K3500 1ton CrewCab 8.1L/Allison1000/NP205 Dana 60/14B!!!! - Sold
1984 K10 SWB 7.4L/4L80e/NP208 Corp 10/12 bolt Sold
1988 V30 CCLB 7.4L/TH400/NP205/Dana 60/Dana 70/3.73!!! (Sold)
2003 K2500HD 8.1/Allison1000/NP263
OldCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #24
OneOffStroker

Wiring can seem tricky, but I'm an electrician and I can tell you it all breaks down to positive (+) and negative (-). Everything needs both of those signals to work, and the harness makes it happen. As stated above, read the info on lt1swap.com and some other posts. I printed off several of the pin-out pages from there and marked them off one-by-one as I removed them, and it went really smooth. I spread the entire harness on the floor and worked it a section at a time, and before I knew it, I was done.

Also, I use 3x5 index cards and label them at the top with the day. Then I write a few small tasks to complete on each one, and that is my day's workload. I stick them to my truck with a magnet near where I'll be working that day to keep me on track. Once I'm done with that card, I put away ALL of my tools and sweep the floor. When I go back the next day, it's like starting fresh, and I don't get frustrated looking for a particular socket or wrench, because I know that it's back in its home. One of the hardest things to do is to clean the shop daily, but it makes your next day so much easier. When you have easy days, your project comes together faster.

Good luck bro, keep your head up.
OneOffStroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:33 AM   #25
greasemonkey71

ok im about 90% done with the wiring..thanks for the info

now my next question...i wanna be able to tow a decent size trailer...at the most would be my baja bug and a few dirt bikes and camping gear...

..i want to lower the truck a few inches..would i be able to put put some heavy duty springs in the rear so the truck wont sag.....

trucks got trailing arms

i dont want to mess with air bags