The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
p_rubottom

Pricing LSx trucks

So i was asked the question today of "would ya sell it"? I didnt want to post this in the WIW page but I just got to wondering today how you would estimate a price for LSx trucks. I am building a 86 CCSB 4x4, 4 inch lift, with an lq9 its almost buttoned up to start. I cant really add up receipts because i did a lot of trading to gather parts. Thanks for the imput guys

Last edited by p_rubottom; 12-10-2010 at 06:41 PM.
p_rubottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

Re: Pricing LSx trucks

Truck values can be high or low based on the overall truck...not just the powertrain. That said, the are some buyers that would not like it...while others would see it as a big plus.

If you had a badly patina'd truck with a poor body and interior, but a new motor and trans....if you sold you probably wouldn't get back what you put in it unless it was done on the cheap.

I've put roughly $10k into my build (maybe more or less...don't really want to know) and if I was to sell I might be lucky to get $10k out of it....losing the value of the truck. Now...if someone was purposely building a truck for sale and had the technical savy to keep the costs low...might make a buck or two on a complete restomod.

just my thoughts....and they're worth what you paid for them.

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:04 AM   #3
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GMCCustom View Post
Truck values can be high or low based on the overall truck...not just the powertrain. That said, the are some buyers that would not like it...while others would see it as a big plus.
I agree with this completely. I think that the value of the truck is in the eye of the potential buyer. I think that the hard core OEM guys frown on this LSX "phase". I can remember when the TPI was cool on show cars and trucks. Personally, I don't care if I ever own another carb. truck. Fuel injection is the only way to go. But, I know that there are some guys that wouldn't own one with these new fangled powertrains either. I really don't think you can go into one of these projects thinking about making a buck, more than likely you will never even get close to the investment.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:32 AM   #4
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
OEM guys frown on this LSX "phase".
Not sure this is a "phase" we're experiencing. If you read Hot Rod....their feature this month was....LSx swaps....and how they are the most popular motor swaps in the country right now. They feature a big motor L92/LS3 head test, 25 real LSx swap combos (from LSFest or the LSx Shootout), and some other stuff. If you look at the demographics....its huge! Not just performance minded folks making the switch....lots of economy minded folks doing it too...just using the smaller motors, the OD transmissions, and the EFI. Seeing lots of boosted combos too.

GMPP wouldn't answer...but ScogginsDickey (one of their biggest resellers) said the gen III and genIV sales aren't quite outpacing sbc sales......yet.

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:40 AM   #5
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GMCCustom View Post
Not sure this is a "phase" we're experiencing. [/I].
Your right it's more of a movement than phase.....When I say phase I just mean until the next generation of fuel injection/engine design is invented.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote