The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-05-2005, 05:30 PM   #1
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Going flat black again...maybe?

OK, I know my rig ain't getting painted properly anytime in the near future...WAY too many things in the way for that. The gold and gray promer really looks like crap IMO.
Almost 2 years ago, i put my old GMC in black primer. Yes, it was rattle can, and after a couple months, it too looked like crap. Not to mention the absorbing of water deal that most all primers do.
So i was thinking, (uh oh) I want something that is semi flat or very semi gloss... thinking like that electricly aplied stuff on replacement parts, maybe a tad flatter than that.
Rustolium is cheap.
Rustolium helps to prevent rust, or at least does not promote it like sponge primer.
Rustolium is 10 times more durable than primer.

If anyone has a [b]CHEAP[/i] idea better than Rustolium, I'm all ears. I'm not talking $100 budget here...I'm talking a Mc Burger and fries buget...small fries at that, and a glass of water.

Now, questions...
What percentage of flat and of gloss would I have to mix for this? I was thinking lik 50/50.
What would I thin the paint with? (to be sprayed through a proper (but cheapo) paint gun)

I DO know that when it comes time for real paint, that all this crap will have to come off.
In all reality, that is about the only disadvantage I can come up with.

I hope that i can bump into some one with the tallent of laying out flames.....(I wonder if Tim will be in my neck of the woods anytime soon?) but a semi flat black paint job with the white bumpers, grill, roof and wheels will have to do. Not sure what old school sticker I should go with this time...too many woody wood pecker comments last time, so Mr Horse Power is out of the question. Probably the moon eyes or rat fink.

Please feel free to attach pics of truck done up somethign like this. I've always wanted flames, but I still have plenty of years to have a fire truck like that.
I'll start with my old beater.
Attached Images

Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote