The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2002, 02:52 PM   #1
photoglg

Post Reupolstery Kit

Has anyone used one of the reupholstery kits from any of the parts guys like LMC or Brothers and so on. Do they need to be installed by some one that knows what he is doing and is the fit good. Same for molded carpets?
Old 03-29-2002, 03:06 PM   #2
Dan72cst

I've done my blazer buckets. It was easier than I was expecting. The fit was really good, but the scroll pattern wasn't as "deep" as the original. I needed some hog ring pliers, staple gun and you need to thread all the wire/clips from the old covers into the new ones. Overall, as long as your not rushed its pretty easy.

------------------
Marysville, WA
72 K5 CST Blazer
72 1/2t 2wd Sierra Grande
68 3/4t 2wd Chev Custom
68 3/4t 4wd Chev Basket

93 1/2t burb - wifes

68 2wd Chevy LWB 327/400
Dan72cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 03:17 PM   #3
tom hand
CCRider

I used seat covers and carpet from GMC Paul. I had my seats done at a shop because they were in bad shape and needed a lot of work done to the foam. If your foam is in good shape you could do it yourself with good results. Seats are easier to do in the summer because you can lay the covers in the sun to get them warm which makes it easier to get all the wrinkles out. The carpet fit great and only requires minor trimming around the door openings.Well you be the judge.

------------------
72 GMC Sierra SWB almost finished---- 84 Softail
Olive Branch MS

Old 03-29-2002, 04:20 PM   #4
johnnyp
Keepin' It Stock

I bought mine (original houndstooth) from Jim Carter. They were the only ones I could find that carried the parchement/black combo. They were identical to the originals. I also had mine installed at an upholstery shop because they needed a couple of springs and some foam. They also steamed out all the creases. Worth the $45.00.

------------------
72 Sierra Grande - "Maych"
sierraG on some boards

If a man speaks in the middle of a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Forget about "do it right the first time". Do it wrong the first time to learn how, then do it right the second time.

Maych Home Page

Forget about "do it right the first time". Do it wrong the first time to learn how, then do it right the second time.
johnnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 07:59 PM   #5
da-burb
"Ochre Ogre"

The carpet kits fit perfect. Installed a suburban kit from GMC Paul and all 3 pieces and the 2 wheel tub covers were perfect. I believe they were ACC brand carpets.

A tip I haven't tried yet for installing covers is to turn the cover inside out. Spray the seat foam with silicone spray. Start at the top and roll the cover on. This was on a bucket seat with a full back. Probably doesn't apply to truck bench seats and Blazer buckets since they don't have a full back covering. They made it look real easy on TV.

------------------
1971 C-10 Suburban
1972 C-10 Suburban
1969 XL Galaxie Fastback
1968 Galaxie 500 Fastback
1974 SCOUT II

Montrose, Minnesota

[This message has been edited by da-burb (edited March 29, 2002).]

Bowtie Truck Stop Inc.
Mid-West GM Truck Restoration Parts Supplier
Your Key Parts, Auto Metal Direct, Dynacorn,
and Goodmark dealer.
like us @ www.facebook.com/BowtieTruckStop

1971 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1971 K-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 K-20 Suburban (Yellow- that just aint right!)

Springfield, Minnesota 56087
da-burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 07:57 AM   #6
GMCPaul

Thumbs up

They are very easy to install,
FIRST before doing anything examine how the original upholstery is wrapped and fastening points for it, then remove your old upolstery from seat, in the edges that wrap under the seat of the original you will find a stiff wire inserted in a loop of the vinyl remove this wire or buy a similar gauge wire and insert into the same loop of vinyl on the new upholstery. Lay it out in the sun on a hot day and pull or strech any wrinkles out, ( heat guns can also be used with caution ) replace any damaged or torn foam with new foam in damaged area and glue in place (easiest to cut a square of damaged area then glue back in a square that extends past line on original foam and sneak in house and grab the electric carving knife and carve to correct form ) foam is available from upholstery supply stores and many discount or supply stores.
Once you are certain that foam is correct check your springs under seat bottom for any broken or loose ones, replace any broken and reconnect loose ones. If you do not do this seat will sag in these areas. Now take the seat bottom upholstery and turn it inside out and place it on seat bottom assembly slowly turn it right side out wrapping the edges, now before installing any hog rings pull firmly on material where any areas do not appear to be properly aligned to seat them correct, now pull at front and back attaching points examining how well the material fit the current foam, if it appears that foam has compressed with age and pulling vinyl tight does not have foam pressing tightly againest vinyl in all areas then the foam has compressed with age and needs another thin layer applied of foam over existing foam. I lay out different layers trimmed roughly oversized in length and width and check with vinyl fit and when I feel I have the perfect foam thickness I then glue the new foam to original and finish trim it at edges so matches shape of seat bottom and angle your edge cut so if you have a 1/4" thickness of foam added at a rounded edge its not a 90 degree angle for a 1/4" then rounded at original foam instead with the angle cut it blends naturally when compressed slightly under stretched vinyl upholstery. Now go through and install the upholstery stretching it tight and using hog ring pliers and hog rings to fasten the upholstery to the frame. A second set of hands or some good spring clamps work great for holding the upholstery while stretching around frames. I say strectching but its not like you have to pull really really hard just firm pressure. That is going through and doing one so it looks as good or better than factory. ( There is better than factory these were trucks and their attention to details left alot to be desired ) You can install one without all the above work and many upholstery places we have seen only replace damaged springs but never add extra foam to make up for compression of original, some recommend adding the layer underneath original foam if edges are all good on it and I agree 100%. But basicly anyone should be able to install one of these kits if there is no foam damage, and if there is its very easy to repair if semi-talented. Takes 2-6 hours depending upon the person and amount of repair work involved from original being in truck to finish product in the truck if you go at it prepared. So if your going to do it yourself, do yourself a favor check for broken springs and have them on hand new to replace old, and have some 1/4" and 1/8" foam for padding, plus blocks of seat foam and adhesive if areas on foam are damaged and missing.
Well this is starting to look like a short book so I'll end.
GMCPaul

------------------
Online Catalog for-GMCPauls Truck Parts.com
67 LWB GMC SuperCustom Fleetside
67 LWB GMC Stepside
67 SWB GMC Stepside
67 SWB GMC Fleetside
67 SWB Chevy CST Fleetside
67 LWB Chevy CST Fleet
67 SWB Chevy Stepside
67 LWB Chevy Stepside
68 2wd Chevy 1/2 t. Panel
68 Chevy Panel 1/2Ton 4X4
68 LWB Chevy Fleet 4X4
69 SWB Chevy Stepside
71 GMC Suburban 402/400
72 LWB Chevy Camper Special
72 LWB Chevy Camper Special
Nope not a typo 2-72 Camper Specials
and no they are NOT FOR SALE MINE MINE MINE and we accept ALL 67 Refugees Looking For More Never Enough!!!

GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 01:13 PM   #7
REPO1
Shortbox wanna-be.

Any pics of the houndstooth in the black/red, or black/creme(??) on a bench seat?

I am interested in doing this myself.

Reid

------------------
Sylvan Lake, Alberta, Canada

1970 Chevy C20 Custom Camper
#s matching 402BB Turbo 400 trans.
Air conditioning, power steering, manual brakes.
73,600 Original Miles!!
(Add on 2000 more from raod trip!)

'97 Z28 (11.41@127MPH)
REPO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 01:58 PM   #8
Tim Rich

Good Afternoon,

I'd also like to see any photos y'all might have of the black/red or black/black houndstooth seat covers. The print and online catalogs don't seem to have pictures of the houndstooth patterns. I plan to add seat covers to my bench seat that are correct to the 67-72 truck period later on, but my current seat cover's fine for now. My truck color is a current Chevrolet truck color, victory red, with a black dash pad. I figure a black/black houndstooth seat will be a nice future improvement for this Bama fan.

Thanks,

Tim Rich
Kennesaw, GA

65 Must@ng
Tim Rich is offline   Reply With Quote