The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2004, 03:47 AM   #1
75-K5
Bucket of Bolts

eBay Question

Who here has had good luck selling custom 73-87 trucks on eBay? I am thinking about putting mine on there, but I don't really feel it will get any bids. I have seen several custom trucks on there and most of them have no bids (of course the asking price is outrageous, like $20,000). I am wanting to get in the ballpark of 7k out of mine. I tried selling my Grand National on eBay a couple of years ago and had horrible luck. I only got one bid, then the high bidder never contacted me or replied to my emails. I was just wondering if you guys thought I would be able to get a decent price out of it this way. Here is the truck in question:

Old 04-18-2004, 08:19 AM   #2
Blue Beard

Don't know what you did on the first auction.....

If you start with the opening bid too high it doesn't get much attention.

Pics, just as here if they take to long to load...people will go elsewhere...

You have to remember...when you do an auction most people only the first and last day of it are seen the most.

Generally I make sure a auction starts and covers the weekend...more viewers.

Just my opinions...
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 09:34 AM   #3
MIKE'67

I agree with the above. Also post pictures of the engine and interior. Make more pictures available by email to intrested parties. Start with a low price but place your reserve at your minimum. Answer all email questions in a timely manner. That looks like a real sharp truck. Good luck with your auction.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:55 PM   #4
onetoncrewcab
One of my kids. Cute eh?

Run the auction for seven days. I know the 1,3, and 5 day auctions are shorter, but like Blue Beard says, you want this to run through the weekend. Besides, the seven day auction costs the same as the shorter auction. You just as well have the visibility.

Post CLEAR pics of the engine compartment and the interior. Night time pics will not cut it (seen that happen). I would also take shots with as little background as possible. No offense, but all those people and cars in the picture are a distraction.

Like Mike67 said, answer ALL emails in a timely manner, even the kooks offering $2000. For them, politely turn them down "Thanks, but that offer is lower than I can accept. DON'T take an attitude with them. It isn't worth the hassles. Be polite and courteous in all correspondence.

Blue Beard had good suggestions. Either start the bidding at a low price with a reserve or start the bidding at your low price. Both ways have their positives and negatives. For me, I rarely bid on an item with a reserve price. I have posted reserve auctions myself and sold both vehicles. I think I started both of them at $1.00. Granted neither vehicle was worth over $1000, but they did sell.

If you got any other questions, post them here and I'll be glad to give input. Before I quit selling on ebay, I was moving almost $20,000 worth of computer equipment a month.
Later
MJ

John 3:16
2006 Chevy HHR
2000 Dodge Durango
1985 Jeep CJ-7
1970 Chevy Pickup
onetoncrewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 03:40 AM   #5
75-K5
Bucket of Bolts

Thanks for the tips, guys. I know I will need more pics, these pics were just to give a general overview of the truck. The auction pics will be much more "professional." On the Grand National auction, I started the bid at 6k with no reserve. I tried it once before starting at 2500 with a reserve of 6k, but it never got bid above 4. Personally, when I see an auction with a reserve, I never bother to consider it because I think it is pointless to bid below the reserve when you know it won't win the auction anyway. I would rather bid knowing I have a chance at winning the auction. If I did do a reserve auction, what would be a good suggested starting price if I set my reserve at say $6500. Maybe $3000? I don't know why the pics loaded slowly for you, they usually load instantly. I host them from my college webspace, which is blazing fast, even when viewed from a computer off campus.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:36 AM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I don't know why, but I like reserve auctions. I think it maybe adds to the excitement. Start your opening bid at a low price to encourage bidders. Also set a "buy it now" option that is a bit above what you really want. You never know when someone might take it for the higher price....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote