The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2004, 08:13 AM   #1
TIMSPEED

CantiLever vs. Parallel 4-Link; What's better?

On the 73-87 C10's...which would be the better setup? I see KP is now offering a "Bolt-On" CantiLever setup for us. But ART also has had their Parallel 4-Link available for us for a while now. What are the pro's and con's of using each? About 99% of the trucks that are bagged around me, are all CantiLever in the back. (Either that, or Air-Over-Leaf) So, my guess is CantiLever lets you "hop" higher/easier?
Old 04-25-2004, 11:31 PM   #2
BaggedC10
Under construction!

Re: CantiLever vs. Parallel 4-Link; What's better?

Quote:
Originally posted by TIMSPEED
On the 73-87 C10's...which would be the better setup? I see KP is now offering a "Bolt-On" CantiLever setup for us. But ART also has had their Parallel 4-Link available for us for a while now. What are the pro's and con's of using each? About 99% of the trucks that are bagged around me, are all CantiLever in the back. (Either that, or Air-Over-Leaf) So, my guess is CantiLever lets you "hop" higher/easier?

A cantilever setup puts the suspension at a 2:1 ratio. For every 1" of bag travel, the vehicle raises 2". The KP setups are said to ride great but I would rather have an ART parallel 4-link. Having the option to mount the bags and shock absorbers where you want is nice. Plus, the quality of their products can't be matched.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:08 PM   #3
KutThroatKustoms
drag body or die

This is bringing an old post from the dead, but ah well.

I havent seen the KP 6 link for this model yet, but i'm going to guess its like the other fullsize and its a parallel 4 with the lever bars. Its a great design with great lift, generally a 1.5-1.7, i'm not sure if this is a full 2:1 or not. But with double convo bags, it will ride like a dream.

A plain parallel 4 like the air bar is nice also, uses sleeve bags so it rides nice as well. But there are some nice problems with ART's stuff lately. Mostly for the S10 crowd i'm seeing, but that doesnt mean much, ya know? Their airbar is breaking shock tabs, just like the roadgrater, thus allowing the sleeve bags to pull apart (b/c they dont have stops in them, you have to have something to limit the travel, which art uses the shocks to do that). They give you a limiting strap, but who wantas a strap on their stuff to hold the rear together? No me.

IMO.. i'd get ***************** parallel 4 link and either a) make some lever attachments in the rear with his 2x2 box bars.. or b) gusset under the top bar and put the bag on top, in a lever setup on the parallel 4.

Also on a 73-87, the frame being so narrow, a parallel 4 is the only setup that can be correctly setup, tri 4's and what not, dont have the room, unless you rear-clip the truck. imo.