The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2004, 09:16 PM   #1
85Silverado

Drum Surprise

Man...I'm finding more and more neglect as i go over my '78 I just bought. Today I was in search of my weak braking ability. Seemed like it took a lot to stop my truck and i noticed that my front tires, or rims actually, were pretty much completely black within a week. Checked the fronts, pads and everything were fine. Tore the rear axle apart to get the drums off the 14 bolt and talk about a freaking mess. The drums,pads, pretty much everything was covered in gear lube and what appeared to be grease and a whole lot of it. Looked like someone unloaded a grease gun in each of them.

Anyways....I look at the back of the drums for the seal....the dumb focker that had it before me tried to get the seals out and failed and just left the mangled ones in there so all the gear lube and bearing grease all ended up in the drums. I pulled the drum off and I swear at least a cup of gear lubed came out of the drum itself soon as i started pulling it away. Needless to say I was a bit pissed and spent a good 5 hours just doing the rear brakes and replacing the bearings, seals, pads, refilling the pumpkin with gear lube and not to mention cleaning all the grease and crap out of them...went through 8 cans of brake cleaner on the backing plate and cleaning out the drums and springs and whatnot...and that was with scrubbing not just trying to spray it away....it was f**king ridiculous. I wish I had a digi camera so ya'll could see the freaking mess...words cannot describe it all.

I'm glad I didn't drive it around besides the jockeying it around in the garage. Anyways...sorry for the long vent but i needed it..lol

Whats the worst thing you guys have encountered? be it jimmy rigged fixes from previous owners or anything?

'78 C20 Scottsdale
350ci
3 speed with granny gear
14 bolt rearend

My trucks are "Car-Guy safe".......which pretty much means death trap in the hands of a normal civilian.
85Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 10:55 PM   #2
Destructo

somebody CUT OUT the lockup wires in my 700r4. No wonder it didn't have 3rd and 4th gear... The trans was bad when I bought it though and I knew it of course.

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Regular Cab 2wd 4-banger, 5 speed, Street Pack with 3.73 axle.
Destructo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 01:11 AM   #3
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

if someone cut out the lockup wires, you will not lose 3rd OR 4th gear, your TCC simply wont lockup. 700R4/4L60 transmissions ARE NOT electronic. 93+ 4L60Es are. i ran the trans in my TA with no lockup, and drove the 86 with no lockup too.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote