The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2004, 10:33 PM   #1
9footfan
get up! stand up!

67-72 chevy/gmc c-30 9ft stepsides

looking for other owners of the c-30 9foot stepsides to help with questions regarding current restoration of a 1967 chevy c-30. i also need a new set of stepboards and the bedsides-or if possible i need a complete 9 foot stepside bed-or i would consider a parts truck complete. any help or information would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!
9footfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 12:38 AM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

9 foot...welcome to teh board! Glad to see you made it. I'm sure some one here might be able too hook you up with a bed.
You looked at the 67 - 72 message board on here too?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 09:04 AM   #3
9footfan
get up! stand up!

as a matter of fact i spent several hrs on the msg board last night-lots of great stuff and people! i did locate another owner of a 9footer-user name dtlilly owns a 72 and has a picture posted in his profile. i'm waiting for a reply from him as we speak. thanks for the interest longhornman.
p.s. anyone have any advice on properly installing bed to frame mounting brackets-originally they were riveted to the frame-i've been told you can bolt replacements on and my 67 chev shop manuel actually states you can do this, but i'm clueless so far=thanks.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:23 AM   #4
pickupman

I think I still have a set of the steps but bedsides are gone. I will check to see if I still have them.
Bill

67 1/2 ton 4wd custom cab
72 1/2 ton 4wd super cheyenne
71 1/2 BB super cheyenne shortbed
pickupman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 12:45 PM   #5
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

New Steps!!!

I have a set of steps that came off a truck when it was brand new, no miles. They are for the 8 ft lwb bed. Is that the same step?
These are as close to NOS/perfect as you will ever see.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:55 PM   #6
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

In my 1967 dealer option pamphlet it lists the stepsides in three wheelbases 115, 127 and 133. I suspect the steps are not same since the wheelbase changes. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I also recall other long stepside owners saying their trucks are 133" wheelbase.
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 09:43 PM   #7
9footfan
get up! stand up!

thanks for the interest in my posting guys-i really do appreciate all of your help. bill-if you still have the steps please let me know the condition of them and if you also have the original mounting hardware/reenforcement brackets. if they are for sale let me know as i am in the market for the parts of the beds of these trucks. also in reply i'm pretty much certain that the stepboards for the c-30 9footers are longer than on the c-20s or the c-10 lwb. my factory assembly manuel does not show a diagram of the c-30 stepsides. if antone can 100% confirm let me know. the difference should be as correctly stated in the other reply that the wheelbase for a c-20 or c-10 lwb is 127" and the c-30 is 133".
i wish i could be a little more specific but my c-30 was a chassis cab from the factory so i don't have any old parts to go by. so far i'm having alot of fun just researching these trucks and taking them apart. i've owned 3 67 c-10s and a 71 c-10 but this is my first 1-ton and its been challenging so far-but i'm a very determined person and i love old trucks. thanks again for you guys time and advice! p.s. any advice on the bed to frame mounting brackets? also i'd love a spare set of brackets so if anyone can help i've got the money...THANKS!
Old 04-26-2004, 11:49 PM   #8
pickupman

9footfan, Sorry I havn't had a chance to take a look yet, but will in the morning. I am pretty sure I still have them and are in good shape. i'll let you know tomorrow. The 9 ft. steps are definitly different than the 8ft.
Thanks, Bill

Old 04-27-2004, 01:32 AM   #9
9footfan
get up! stand up!

thanks bill-whenever you get a chance let me know if you still have them and if you are certain that they are for the c-30 9footers let me know what you are asking for them and their condition(any luck on the mounting hardware/reenforcement brackets?) i've tried to dig a little deeper into my resources and have only uncovered that the c-30 steps are longer than the lwb steps, although i do not know the exact lengths. the difference should be about 5"-6 1/2" or longer. my guess is based on the fact that the distance between the center of the 2 forward bed to frame mounting brackets on the lwb is 12" and on the c-30 17.5". the brackets are the same i'm guessing. maybe an actual owner of a c-30 9 ft stepside could clear up all my speculation and measure the ACTUAL length of a step on his/her truck. and maybe someone who owns a lwb stepside could measure the length of their steps and really clear things up. or if bill is certain his steps are correct then maybe he could measure them.
i'm just a rookie looking thru books.
also i'm still looking for a spare set of 6 piece bed to frame mounting brackets(found on lwb stepsides or c-30 stepsides)
THANKS AGAIN GUYS!
Old 04-27-2004, 04:17 PM   #10
dtlilly
Account Suspended

Welcome to the board from Tennessee. Where are you located? You can go back to your profile and enter a state or city location so others will know what part of the world you live in.

I do indeed have a 72 with the factory 9 foot step bed. Now there is two people here, maybe we could start a 9 foot step club, lol

The steps on these beds are indeed longer than the steps on the 8 foot long step side beds (trust me, I bought some long steps from Donnie [Big Orange] and they are about 6" too short). These trucks were classified as a long horn because of the 133" wheel base, but instead of a 8.5 foot fleet side bed, the General installed a 9 foot long step bed. The bed is 6" longer in the front and back, and does not have the unsightly seam like on the fleetside beds (no offence to the longhorn owners). The bed sides are one complete piece of metal.

I happen to have spare 9 foot long step bed parts laying around. I disassembled the original bed from the 72 C-30 and still have the steps, fenders, bed sides and floor supports. I was lucky to have found another 9 foot step bed, and saved it from being sold as scrap (the owner didn't think there was any demand for such a bed). My truck is about 90% restored now, and may be for sale in the near future.

I sent you a PM regarding the bed parts. My computer is broke, so I have to go to the public library to check PM's and e-mail, that is why I can't get on here as much as I want to. I do try to get here at least once a week though.

Don.
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 04:27 PM   #11
pickupman

9ft, I do still have the steps, they are in pretty good shape, 1 of them does have some small 1/8 holes drilled in it for some reason. If interested I will take $45 plus shipping for both. Getting ready to go out of town so I will not be able to get you pictures or shipping until next Monday.
Thanks, Bill

Old 04-27-2004, 08:51 PM   #12
9footfan
get up! stand up!

thanks don i pm'd you from your previous msg.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:56 PM   #13
9footfan
get up! stand up!

thanks pickup man i'll take'em if you can just send me a couple of pictures sometime after next monday when you get a chance. any luck with the mounting harware?
Old 04-28-2004, 03:27 PM   #14
dtlilly
Account Suspended

That's a good price for a part that is almost non-existant nowdays.
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 06:42 PM   #15
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Unhappy

there was an old navy truck at a local yard with the 9 foot stepside bed on it, i figured there was no demand for the parts and they crushed it last year. i wish i had grabbed the bed for one of you guys.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 08:02 PM   #16
9footfan
get up! stand up!

i'm hoping to start finding some of these trucks and getting the bed parts before more are scrapped. eventually i'm hoping to maybe find someone to make new parts for them if i can get some good donor parts. i think a rep for bruce horkey truck bed parts said he would love to have these type of bed parts. i don't know if he could make any. any ideas on using old bedsides as patterns to remanufacture new ones? sounds pretty difficult to me.