The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2004, 02:54 PM   #1
cranknut67
Account Suspended

2 piece driveline conversion to 1 piece?

I am sick and tired of replacing carrier bearings! - I want to stick a 1 piece driveshaft in the '67 - can it be done without major fabrication? will I have to cut out the old carrier frame and re-weld it to accept the one piece?

I remember someone telling me that a '69 gmc came with a 1 piece driveshaft, and that it still had the 2 piece holes in the frame??

BTW, I chopped the manual trans crossmember out and installed the thorley headers - it worked great - only thing is - I accidentally chopped the speedo a little with the plasma cutter;(
cranknut67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 04:57 PM   #2
StingRay

If you are replacing carrier bearings alot it is probably because of a bent/unbalanced shaft. If they are straight and balanced they'll go for a long long time. If a shaft is taken apart for u-joints and or a bearing and all of the parts are not put together clocked the same as they were originally balanced it's enough to screw up the balance. Most of these trucks have had the shafts apart at some time in their lives and many are just a little bent from years of having all of the the torque thrown at them.