The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2004, 12:45 PM   #1
ryanroo

wiring geniuses painless ???

i have been installing a painless wiring harness in my 72 4x4 c-20. all is goin well then today i am trying to hook up the headlights and turnsignals/marker lights. the factory has four wires per side to hook the parking/turn signal light up and the marker light. they conect into just two wires a blue and brown. in the painless kit there is a blue( for turn signal) one a brown(for parking lamp) one and a two color brown/whit one (for side marker) how the heck do i hook all this up. i was gonna connect the parking light one and the turn signal to the matching colors on the factory part, but what of the other wire for side markers? Thanks for any help
Ryan

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 05:56 PM   #2
Faster_than_you

ask randy70c10, he just installed a painless kit. he said something about some wires needing to be in different places. he also posted his every move.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:54 PM   #3
Mountain Man

I installed a painless in my 72 a month ago.

The park/turn signal lights do go on as per factory , with the brown and blue matching up.

The markers - use the brown and white to power the marker light, and you supply your own black ground wire for the other wire coming off the marker light. Ground it to a body or chassis bolt.

Headlights are also easy. Plug the headlight harness pigtail in, and then run the painless wiring up to the pigtail, and connect with the supplied butt connectors.

The kit is awesome.
A/C dash
Factory tilt
350 / 350 power train - with Edelbrock components.
Mountain Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 11:18 AM   #4
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Man
The markers - use the brown and white to power the marker light, and you supply your own black ground wire for the other wire coming off the marker light. Ground it to a body or chassis bolt.
He PM'd me, this is the part that's confusing. The side marker light has two wires coming out of it but the Painless kit only has one wire that leads to the sidemarker. This is one of those small bits of info that Painless left out of the instructions.
Also, for any of you guys running an electric fan, you have to get the fan relay kit, part number 30101. It's also a very easy install.
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 12:16 PM   #5
ryanroo

thanks both of you for the help, i should get the front harness buttoned up today.
Ryan

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote