The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2004, 10:03 PM   #1
gmc71

Turn Signal stuck on???

My Left trun signal light seems to be illuminated at all times when I have my headlights or parking lights on. I have full use of my Right turn signal. Both turn signals work correctly when the headlights and/or parking lights are off. Any Ideas??? All the bulbs look good.

Thanks in advance.

Ben
gmc71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 11:03 PM   #2
Maximum Overdrive
December 21, 2012

Don't know if its the same problem as mine but when mine did that it was because I didn't have a very good ground on the truck. I made up a heavy duty ground for it and havent had a problem with it since.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:51 PM   #3
BobbyK

Location: Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,Mi.
The 1157 bulb has 2 elements in it.I'll bet one of the 2 elements in that bulb is burnt out.

Try a new bulb 1st.
BobbyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 04:16 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

This is the old style of letting you know you have a light out. (the new cars blink fast, the old ones would keep the indacator on as you describe) If your front and rear markers all work, and the turn signals work also front and rear, then you have a ground issue, and need to clean up the grounds for the parking lights.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 12:05 AM   #5
gmc71

I will give it a try thanks.....
Old 05-07-2004, 10:23 AM   #6
atcavage

This sounds strange, but when I had that problem (except it didn't blink, it stayed solid) I pulled out the front bumper markers, bulb and all. Replaced them and everything was fine. Fixed the headlights too.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:42 PM   #7
sneakysnake
It's a catastrophic success.

If it only does it when you apply the blinker, then you have a bulb out. but if it stays on all the time you have a bad or loose ground. had one on a chevy Luv that the interior turn sig stayed on, found a loose ground by the voltage reg.
sneakysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 11:29 PM   #8
Longhorn Man

snake, actually, if the indicator stays on whenever the parking lights or headlights are on, then it is supposed to indicate a bad bulb...however, a faulty ground will do the same thing too.
Quote:
From page 68 of my 69 GMC Owner's manual A light flashes to indicate proper operation of the front and rear turn signal lamps. If the indicator lamp remains on and does not flash, check for a defective signal lamp bulb. If the indicator fails to light when the lever is moved, check the fuse, and indicator bulb.
Old 05-08-2004, 06:51 PM   #9
sneakysnake
It's a catastrophic success.

Quote,
From page 68 of my 69 GMC Owner's manual A light flashes to indicate proper operation of the front and rear turn signal lamps. If the indicator lamp remains on and does not flash, check for a defective signal lamp bulb. If the indicator fails to light (((when the lever is moved))), check the fuse, and indicator bulb.

Is this all it says? because this states what I said above about "you apply the blinker and it stays on" does your book say anything about the park or headlights being on? turn sig and brake lights are on a seperate circuit than the park and only share a duel filement bulb.

The reason the the indicater light stays on when a bulb is out is the flasher(coil wrapped around a bimetal strip that heats and warps to open a set of points) is in series with the blinker circuit, when a bulb is out there is not enough current draw to heat the flasher to open the circuit thus not flashing and keeping the light on.

The reason a ground will do a similar only when the lights or on is a duel filement bulb has two leads that share a common ground, when power is applied to either or both the currents least resistance is to go though the filement and to ground, but if ground is lost then it will travel through the other filement to get to ground(this is why one headlight will be dimmer when it loses its ground it is going though both filements (hi-lo) to get to ground)
but on a park light it will travel though the blinker filement and to the indecater bulbs that are grounded making them glow or flicker.

This is not a Pi$$ing contest and I am not trying to offend just being helpful.

Last edited by sneakysnake; 05-08-2004 at 10:29 PM.
sneakysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 11:43 PM   #10
Longhorn Man

In reality, i have seen them work both ways like you say, and how I said.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:38 PM   #11
gmc71

I fixed it today, I changed the bulb and the cleaned the ground. Now it works, THANK YOU