The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2004, 12:40 PM   #1
hank

what kind of radio set up do ya'll have?

finally, after four years of no radio, i'm springing for some tunes. i am opposed to cutting the dash, but not my door panels.

my plan is to use one of the "vintage" looking units, with an amp under my seat and some speakers in the door panels.

anyone else have that set up or have any recommendations? i have a 71 cheyenne, with the tank in my cab (so not much room back there). also, does dynomat in the door help with the sound?

thanks for any help with my last few items of my resto.
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 02:16 PM   #2
krue
Designated A-hole!

For right now (speakers anyway) I have an older Alpine tape deck (no cutting required) and a Kenwood 10 disc changer under the seat. For speakers I took the small boxes out of the Ma-in-law's ranger and slid them under the seat with the speakers facing out. I can hear it over the wind noise at 70 mph but that is about all I can say for it.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 02:41 PM   #3
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

I've got a 200 watt Sony Cd player (dash was alredy sliced so i didn't feel guilty about putting it in ), the Kenwood underdash speakers that the vendors sell which bolt under the dash in the stock location, and kickpanel speaker.

I think the kickpanel speakers suck and are way overpriced, as well as not sounding that great. The kenwood underdash speakers sound pretty good for their size and i would reccomend them, since they are practically invisible and no slicing of anythign is required.

If i were to do it again i would have kept the underdash speakers, but instead of the kickpanel speakers i would have sliced the doors for a pair of 6x9's. Sounds OK, but gets kinda hard to hear over the wind noise and exhaust over 70mph.
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 03:21 PM   #4
GARMCo

Stereo Plans--debate CD versus Satellite radio

In my opinion -- satellite radio replaces CD decks. If you have never experienced satellite radio -- you MUST try it (no -I'm not a dealer/installer). No matter what your tastes, you will find a channel dedicated soley to your wants, without the hassles of carting CDs to/from your house/car. Once you have the satellite radio installed--trust me--you won't miss the CD deck. The advantages for installation are that the equipment required is much smaller, and can all be located under the driver's seat.

In my case, I don't want any cutting, and I want everything (almost) totally invisible, here's my dream setup. Under the dash -- a Kenwood S5028 speaker (http://www.danchuk.com/04_03_kenwood_speaker.html ) It's a dual (stereo) speaker that fits the single center dash factory speaker mount. On the transmission hump (as far forward as possible) a Clarion SIRPNP satellite radio receiver mounted on a Clarion SIRCR cradle (http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...=1077744931680). The SIRPNP receives the satellite radio signal from the antenna, and then broadcasts it into your FM radio. If you don't have an FM radio -- hidden in the console mount a Secret Audio FM display head which comes with it's own RF (radio frequency) remote control, meaning that you don't have to point it (the remote) at anything to make it work. The display unit looks like this (http://www.custom-autosound.com/imag...etS1LCDJPG.gif). Under the driver's seat, a SecretAudio S102 controller/tuner --basically a black box that acts as an FM radio (if you truck doesn't already have one). Under each front seat, you would have any 6"x9" speaker made by Cerwin Vega company. Again, this is just my opinion, but there is simply no equal to the sound quality that C-V makes in the 6x9 speaker size. This size will fit nicely under most Blazer seats. If you have a Pickup--you've got even more room behind the seat. Last-- you need a Kenwood KSC-WA62RC subwoofer (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ptaAZvj...sp?i=113WA62RC) -these are commonly available for about $180 elsewhere. This entire package will set you back about $800 (parts only) and you will have a system that meets almost any need. I'm not the kind of driver who likes to have my steroe annoy othger drivers, but this is a system that would give me the sound quality that rivals modern Hi-Fi car audio. Goo dluck-- Tommy
GARMCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 11:29 PM   #5
gr8scott51

Poc

I have a piece o' crap Custom Autosound am/fm with 6 disc changer, kick panel speakers and dual voice coil speaker in the dash.

Cut everything and put a decent unit in your truck. If I could sell this for what I paid for it, I'd change it out. I think I'm stuck with it for a while.
Old 05-08-2004, 11:54 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I have one of them new-fangled pull out stereos. (can you hear the sarcasim in my voice?)
I don't recomend it at all.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 01:54 AM   #7
hank

custom autosound

gr8scott51(or whoever else has an opinion),

what are your problems with the custom autosound unit.

i heard the speakers suck but what about your deck?

thanks.
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 09:52 AM   #8
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

I got a pioneer deh-p400 cd player 2 pioneer tweet's in the kickpannel's 2 sony xplod 6x9's and 2 xplod 10's running off a pioneer 600 watt amp sound's good till I take the top off..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 09:53 AM   #9
john8746

Radio

I have a XM radio in my 69 and I love it
Old 05-09-2004, 10:03 AM   #10
Mike C

If you don't have a ton of money tied up in CD's, Satellite is a great deal. I like the Kenwood dual shaft CD changer deck better than the custom autosound units. If the face is too small, you can make a larger sheetmetal face and paint it either black or the color of your dash and put it behind the Kenwood face.

As far as kick panel speakers or cutting the bottoms of the doors, IMO, the imaging is terrible because of the extra low placement. I mounted 4" separtes with 1" tweeters in my doors. The rest of the system is a 10" free air sub mounted in a "box" underneath passenger side of seat. The sub box has no back and just sits on the carpet. I have a 4x100 crossfire amp powering the separates, and bridged 200x1 into the sub.

I also have pullout stereo, but I like it a lot. It is an Alpine unit that was about $500 new. It controls an Alpine 6 disc changer as well.

68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 10:35 AM   #11
barn9
Half a bubble off!

I have a Custom Autosound unit and think it is great. I use Pioneer speakers with it, which are under the seat pointed forward. I agree with the others concerning satellite radio, it is a good way to have a large variety of music at your fingertip.
Old 05-09-2004, 01:24 PM   #12
gr8scott51

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank
gr8scott51(or whoever else has an opinion),

what are your problems with the custom autosound unit.

i heard the speakers suck but what about your deck?

thanks.
Maybe it's just the speakers, the sound quality is horrible. The changer works okay, but the controls are a pain. I guess that's the cost of trying to look stock.

Don't know why I thought that was important.
Old 05-09-2004, 01:35 PM   #13
botboy
Account Suspended

I would probably feel bad about hacking up the dash on my '72 but the moron PO did it before I had a chance to. So I'm currently in the process of smoothing the dash and then going to put a new single din CD player in (PO's unit was a POS) on the smooth dash. Right now I have no stereo, but I do have a couple of pioneer 6x9's between the seats in black carpeted boxes, they are going behind the seats when I relocate the gas tank.
botboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 01:42 PM   #14
67cst
i love summertime

sorry for the bad pic, my flash is f'ed on the camera, i have the stock am radio in the dash and im going with a cd player in the glove box
Attached Images

GLOVE BOX LIGHTS FORSALE, click link for info

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=273724
67cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 09:47 PM   #15
Kid

Cut that dash, I installed a Nakamichi cd deck, PPI power class 4 channel amp running 2 6x9 JL audios in the doors with a JL audio 10" sub (sealed) behind the seat. Not the loudest (only 240 watts to the sub), but has the cleanest sound I have ever heard. Also make the rear view mirror useless.
Kid is offline   Reply With Quote