The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2004, 04:59 PM   #1
68 Stepside
huh?

A few bodywork questions, relating to the windshield area...

Hey all,

I've got a few rust spots on the 68 that I'd like to take care of, and would like opinions on my options. I don't want to simply fill the holes with bondo, like the previous owner did (thanks a lot Mr. previous owner). Should I just fill the holes with weld, or should I fab a tiny plate to go into the hole, weld it in, and run some filler over it? Also, there's some nasty rust next to the holes, that I'm sure will reveal holes when I clean it up. The rust is on both sides, in the same spot. Any help would be great.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 05:21 PM   #2
Sweet72

Window frame rust

I'm welding some small patch panels made from scrap 18ga. sheet metal for the same reason. You'll definitely have to remove the windshield to make the repairs.
'72 GMC SWB C1500 Custom, frame-off in progress. 383 SBC, 9:1CR, Comp Cams XE262H, Scat internal balanced crank, Eagle SIR 6" rods, Keith Black dish pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 72/180 heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Stewart stage I water pump, Holley 4bbl vac sec, TH350 with B&M Shift Improver Kit. 12 bolt positraction.
Sweet72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 06:38 PM   #3
68 Suburban

If you want to cheat, but get good long lasting results, por-15 has a putty that is awsume!

http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=8
Old 05-09-2004, 06:56 PM   #4
mr402

I found a good donor piller off a wrecked truck. Cut a few small pieces out of it and welded it in to the problem areas. That way I didn't have to figure out the curves or use too much bondo to create the pathces out of sheet metal. Course these days it is getting harder to find good parts trucks. It the very least I would weld some sheetmetal in there like Sweet 72 suggested. Those holes look to big to jst weld up.
mr402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 07:45 PM   #5
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

The problem with trying to weld-up a rust hole like that is you end-up chasing it around. The hole looks small from the surface but the rust is more extensive and thins the surrounding area. The heat from welding burns the hole larger..........It can be done, but it takes some practice.

Personally I would Lead it up. Eastwood has everything you need and this is a great area to learn on. It is a small post rather than a big panel that you would have to worry about warping. Take the glass out, cut back into good metal and lead it. It works very well, that's why the factories have done it for so long.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 08:18 PM   #6
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

Be prepared for alot worse when you take the glass out, once the glass is out and there is just pitting and no actual holes through the metal then I would use the por-15 putty and then put a coat of por-15 over top.
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote