The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2004, 05:45 AM   #1
Noah's65

65 windshield removal/hello everyone

First things first, let me introduce myself. My name is Noah and I'm currently living in Phoenix Arizona. I moved out there to attend school at MMI, for their Harley Davidson program. I have a 65 C10 long bed for my project truck/ratrod. My question for you guys is this. I need to get the windshield out of my truck so I can do some body work before I have it replaced. I'm wondering what the correct way to get the windshield out without damaging the stainless trim strip might be. Should I cut away at the old gasket? Do I need a special tool? I don't have any experience really with glass work. Anytime I've needed a windshield, the glass company did it for me. I don't intend to save either the gasket or the glass. I just want to get the trim out safely so I can reuse it. Thanks in advance for any help. -Noah
Noah's65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 07:58 AM   #2
65StreetCruiser
It Is What It Is

Wecome to the board from Louisiana. If you don't plan on saving the gasket or glass, you can use a utility knife and cut the gasket. I would cut the gasket just outside of the trim. If this does not cut enough of the gasket from the pinchweld, cut inside of the trim. Try not to cut to deep on each pass so as not to cut through the paint. If you have a friend to help you can probably push the glass inward then lift it out, after you have cut the gasket. Good luck and welcome. Kevin
65StreetCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 08:27 PM   #3
65FLTC10

Thumbs up

Noah,
Welcome aboard!!!
I just recently joined this list myself. I'm aware of the stainless trim around your windshield 'cause I have the same truck as you do. I remember my Grandfather removing this trim once but it was a long, long time ago .........before I ever knew I'd own one the same. I think that there is a trim tool made for this particular task too. Tell me more about your truck when your able to. I had mine brought back from Whittier, California......to Ontario, Canada. Good luck, Man.
Roy
65FLTC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 03:27 AM   #4
Noah's65

Kevin/Roy

Kevin,
Thanks for the advice, I thought that cutting away at the old weatherstrip might be the easiest way. The desert weather here has caused it to dry out and contract making it very hard to flex it enough to pull the trim out. Cutting it up should do it.
Roy,
My truck is a 65 long bed with the large back window. It's got a 350 out of a later truck, 73 or 76 according to the block numbers. It's got the th-350 out of the same truck. I bought it about three weeks ago and have been working on it since. It will be my daily driver at some point in the next couple months. Currently I have the bed floor removed and I'm in the process of cleaning the frame underneath before I replace the wood. There's almost no rust on the body, it being an Arizona truck. I do have some patch work to do on the floor though, and a bit in the front fenders behind the wheel. Overall it's very straight for an old truck. Once I finish MIGing all the trim holes shut (a big job in itself) I intend to paint the truck in flat black, the rims deep red and stick some lake pipes on the side hooked up to chambered mufflers. Should make a pretty good ratrod daily truck. The only other hold up before it's a driveable truck is the brakes. I don't intend to drive around on manual drum brakes, so I have a trip to the junkyard for parts in my near future. That's about the whole story so far. I'll keep y'all posted on how it's coming and more than likely be back with other questions. Thanks, -Noah
Noah's65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 03:46 PM   #5
phos

Welcome Noah, I am fairly new to this board as well and have a similar question to yours. I have a 65 swb and currently have my windshield out for the same reason. I cut it out like the others said and then removed the trim. Be careful is tweaks real easy.
My question for the board is: Is it best to install the new glass and gasket with the trim in it or install the trim after all is set? Any help is much appreciated.
phos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:07 AM   #6
65StreetCruiser
It Is What It Is

Phos, If I remember correctly you will have to install the trim in the gasket and then install the gasket on the glass before you put it in your truck. You may be able to install the gasket on the glass and then the trim in the gasket. The problem is that the trim has the "L" shape at the bottom edge that locks around the glass once it is installed. I don't believe that you can install the trim after the glass is in place in the truck. When I installed mine I put the trim in the gasket and then had a friend help me put in on the glass and then into the truck. Good Luck and hope this info helps. Kevin
65StreetCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 10:03 AM   #7
phos

Thanks for the info, I will hopefully be able to try it soon. Trucks still in the paint process.
phos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 12:58 AM   #8
ChrisK10
1971 C20 Custom Camper

Welcome from an Iowan..

'97 GMC K1500 5.7L
ChrisK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 07:45 AM   #9
Iron-Butt
454 club

Welcome from Texas.
1963 Chevrolet C-10 6 Cyl automatic with dual exhaust, pb, ps and 17's.
R.I.P "I will miss you.
1967 Chevrolet C-10 6 Cyl Custom lwb
1939 Chevrolet Coupe, 350 v8 automatic.
1935 Chevrolet 2 Dr Standard in the works.
2015 Harley Davidson Street Glide.
2023 Chevrolet Stingray Z51 Convertible.

I never want to grow up.
Iron-Butt is offline   Reply With Quote