The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2004, 03:13 PM   #1
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Great news

Man, I'm stoked. I feel like a kid in a candy store right now.

So, I go today and pick up a lower radiator hose for the 79. I asked Roger (parts store owner) where I might be able to get the 85 inspected and them pass it with dual cats. He offers a suggestion. So, I take the 79 back up to where I normally go to get my vehicles inspected. This guy is by the book. I asked him once before about adding another cat. He quickly told me it would fail if I changed anything to the way GM designed the exhaust from the cat forward. So, I've been stuck all these years with a y-pipe and single cat.

Anyway I've been talking to him a lot lately getting to know him better. He is a hard man to get to know. Sort of quiet and don't talk unless you ask him a question. Then he only answers your question point blank. Well he's talking more now which is strange in itself. But while getting the 79 inspected, I said to him, after talking about old trucks and stuff, I sure wish I could find somewhere I could get my 85 passed with 2 cats and true dual exhaust. I asked him why is the state won't let us add another cat? He said because you would need two O2 sensors and the computer won't work right. I quickly told him I had no O2 sensor or computer. He said well I don't see what it would hurt to have two cats then. I said well I would hate to change my exhaust and it not pass. He again said, I don't see why it wouldn't pass. I then asked, well, would you pass it? He said, yes, as long as nothing else is changed and I have two cats, he would.

This has made my week, month and year.

Guess what's on the agenda for me? Anyone need a good Random Technology 3" in/out converter. I'll be selling it cheap as I will have to get two 2.5" cats now. Still undecided about what to do about the mufflers I'll be using.

Edit: Just thought of something. I will probably keep the 3" cat and just get another one to match. This would help the flow more over a 2.5" cat and be a lot cheaper on me.

1985 Chevy C-10

Last edited by swervin ervin; 05-14-2004 at 03:16 PM.
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 03:50 PM   #2
The Dude

have you ever thought of using the corvette mufflers? or are you lookin for something more? And now witht hte two cats could you mount the mufflers closer to the engine? tif you could do that then you will have more pipe after the muffler and it will quiet it down.
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 03:56 PM   #3
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Dude,

don't all Corvette mufflers have a screwy design to where they are made to be mounted sideways?

I might just try the Aero's with two cats and like you said, move them up behind the cats. It may sound great being a true dual instead of way I have now with the y-pipe. You can't get a good sound from the y-pipe design. Believe me, I know. I've tried all kinds of different crap. I've got a ton of money in my exhaust with all the swaps I've been through hunting something that sounds good and doesn't blow your brains out while driving it. Well, here I go again.
Old 05-14-2004, 04:26 PM   #4
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

Have you thought about some stock Cadillac mufflers? I know this is just a hair OT but I was wondering if you thought about those. My friend has an newer style Cadillac Eldorado and you can hardly hear it when the pedal is floored. Im thinking its a 96 but it has the 4.6 its pretty nice.

Last edited by MylilBowTie; 05-14-2004 at 04:29 PM.
MylilBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 04:40 PM   #5
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Glad to hear you got some good news for a change Mike With my recent move I also got out of emissions testing but only after I've already been exempt

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 04:52 PM   #6
TIMSPEED

Quote:
Originally Posted by swervin ervin
Dude, don't all Corvette mufflers have a screwy design to where they are made to be mounted sideways?
Uhh..don't you mean firebird's? Corvette mufflers look like true-dual from the back. But it's really not. It's two y-pipes that come together in the middle, at the cat.
BTW: Mike, if I were you, I'd run dual 2½" with Carsound Cats ($50 each off E-bay) and Either Hooker Aero's or Maximum Flow's.
Old 05-14-2004, 06:33 PM   #7
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Not running any cheap cats here. It's Random Technology for me. They are expensive but their the best out there. I guess everyone didn't see my Edit above. I'll probably keep the 3" cat I have now and buy another one to match it for the other side. It would be cheaper to buy one 3" cat than it would to buy two 2.5" ones. Besides the bigger diameter on the cat will help on flow. Being as I already have the two Aerochamber mufflers in 2.5", I'll probably move them to the front behind the cats and see how it sounds. It may be a lot better with duals over the y-pipe. Won't cost much in labor to change them later if I don't like the sound.

Now my only problem is finding a way to make this neat. The stock crossmember won't work for sure. No where for the other cat to sit. I might have to get another crossmember and take the two to make one with a place for both cats. We'll see. I got plenty of time to plan this out. Not in no big hurry anyway.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:46 PM   #8
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

you planning on true duals, or you gonna an an H pipe?
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 10:53 PM   #9
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Eric,

I doubt I'll have a H pipe or X. You can only cram so much stuff under one of these things. Having cats involved eats up a lot of room. Although I would be nice to have a X or H pipe. We'll have to see what I can come up with. Biggest thing right now is figuring out what I'm going to do with the crossmember so I can fit dual cats in there.
Old 05-15-2004, 12:01 AM   #10
82 Silverado 4X
Genuine Chevrolet

Mike,
I installed a true dual 2 1/2" set-up under my 82 4x4 2 years ago. I still have all the emissions and computer crap in place under the hood and it all appears functional for the visual part of the Pa. Emmissions Test but I have it all disabled. I used 2 small generic converters and stock type side inlet, center outlet mufflers to keep the pipes out of the converters close to the frame and to keep the noise down (I get enough noise at work and at home).

If it weren't for my transfer case I would have been able to put both cats at the same distance back on both sides. I ended up placing the passenger side cat 18" behind the drivers side one then ran unequal length pipes back to the mufflers which set exactly beside each other in front of the axles. From there I had two pipes bent to go over the axle and straight back to turndowns that exit right before my back bumper. It's a very neat looking installation and so far it has always passed the Pa. sniffer test.
82 Silverado 4X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 12:10 AM   #11
BaggedC10
Under construction!

That's great news, Mike.
Old 05-15-2004, 12:35 AM   #12
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Don't it feel great. Man there is nothing better than having "a connection" when it comes to state inspections. Sometimes that connection can cost a few extra bucks, but not as much as it would cost if they didn't look the other way....
I saw give the old hand a nice tip when you get done...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 12:40 AM   #13
bigblock73
yeller

Whats all this stuff about inspections and emmissions?? We don't have any of that stuff up here!?

Congrats tho Mike, having "connections" is always good. Keep us posted on what you do.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 09:11 PM   #14
Tom
driving is in my blood

man mike, I could have told you that a couple years ago if you had asked
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 01:13 AM   #15
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Mike I've got an X pipe under my truck with the exhaust dumped under the bed. I know truck is a LWB versus yours being a SWB but you can look on my site I still have in my sig and look at how my exhaust is ran.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote