The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2004, 02:32 AM   #1
chevychic

Thumbs up I got my truck back!!!

No, I didn't fall off the face of the message board ...I just didn't have a truck to post about while it was in the shop....but it's back tonight

The rebuilt 700R4 drives pretty good so far. It's alot different than before though. The shop set the shift points really low. It now shifts into 2nd gear around 10 - 15 mph. The other thing that's very different is when I first put the truck into gear it engages hard. No thunks or grinds, the truck just kind of jumps.
I'm going to call them on Monday and wrap up a few things with them and ask about these.
If I don't get good enough answers from them, I'm gonna sick my dad on em since he paid for half of this rebuild as a b-day gift.

Now that I have it back I can actually get some stuff done on it without worrying about it having to drive it during the week
I have a lot of new interior parts that have been dying to get used...

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a horrible warning.

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think"
- Christopher Robin
chevychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 08:42 AM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

You know I had thought you had " fallen off the face of the message board" I was wondering where you had been.

My guess is they set your tranny up just like they do most cars so the shift points are low. I'm not sure why it hits so hard when it drops in gear. That doesn't sound right at all.

Get your interior upgrades done and post some pics....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 11:35 AM   #3
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Good to have you "back" Heather. I've been a bit aloof (sp) myself, since my truck has also been parked for most of the winter - - I can relate. Any day now, I'll be bringing it back into the city.

Anyway, hopefully the tranny shop gives you the answers and service you deserve as a paying customer. If not, tell 'em you'll mash there vehicles under the big, knobby tires of that Scottsdale...

So let us know how it all turns out.

Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 12:21 PM   #4
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX
I'm not sure why it hits so hard when it drops in gear. That doesn't sound right at all.
actually, it sounds normal, and good even. if it were dropping into gear really smooth, like alot of people want it to its bad for the trans. smooth engagment means the trans is slipping, and a slipping trans is a trans that wont last long. firm shifts are your friend. how firm are the other shifts Heather? i had a TH350 built in 97 that would bark the tires in the 1-2 and the 2-3, and its still going strong in a daily driver.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 01:23 PM   #5
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Good to have you back lady. Early 700R4's had hard engagement going into gear. The later years, I think 88 up, GM installed auxillary valve bodies to soften this. The one in truck is from a 89 and it goes into gear smooth as silk, to where the one that came in it stock did go into gear hard.

Just make sure they have the TV cable adjusted right. If this is off by much, it won't last long. What rear gears to you have? My truck changes quick too since I have 3.73's. Not sure on what MPH, but it's close to what yours is.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 06:21 PM   #6
plumbcut
california fill

Heather, regarding your hard engagement and early shifting, does it seem to kickdown gears normally? I mean if you're cruising in 4th or 3rd and you step on it does it kick down? If not, you have a problem with your TV cable. Some 700r4's have a checkball in the TV circuit, that, when it engages, the tv cable is rendered useless. Its a safety feature so that if something happens to your TV cable, you wont roast the transmission if you keep driving. The reason I ask, is because when my checkball engages (occasionally), I KNOW it because it jumps into gear, and shifts really soon, and doesnt kickdown, because its not reading the TV cable input. In order to reset the transmission I have to put it in park and kill the engine (loss of pressure releases the safety checkball).. Once I restart, its usually fine..... Use of this checkball is fairly random is is up to the tranny builder... Ive talked to builders that do & dont use it. I dont know what year your trans. is, but mine is about a 88 or 89 and the later model 700r4's had the checkball stock. Its just a thought. And in order to really know for sure, you need to connect a pressure guage to the service port on the trans.

No transmission should engage unusually hard, its boloney if anyone tells you its "good" that it does it.
plumbcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 09:08 PM   #7
Tom
driving is in my blood

the shift points are just the TV cable adjusted low. Push the d-button in and pull the sleeve out one click at a time then drive to test. Real simple. Raising the shift points also raised line pressure= longer lasting tranny.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 10:11 PM   #8
Prerunner1982

welcome back sweetie... missed ya. i like when my truck shifts hard... i dont mean knock my head into the rear window hard.. but firm...
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 10:15 PM   #9
chevychic

Mike, I have 4.11 rear gears.
Sounds like there're some mixed opinions about the hard engaging. I've been in trucks with shift kits that shift hard but this is different. It does shift hard through the gears which I know = good...but this is just going from park to drive.
Is there a code on the tranny that would tell me what year tranny it is? The engine is from 79 and was originally built to be put in a vw bug for racing....I'm assuming that the tranny and the engine are not from the same year.

I did notice that it was more responsive and would kick down quickly and get up and go when I accelerated fast. I'm a bit apprehensive to really romp on it enough to bark my tires cuz this is what I did when I sheared the planetary gears in the last tranny. Granted, this one is under warranty and I should really "test" it out...hehehe...I've just been babying my baby since I haven't driven it since February.

Tom...ya...I know how to adjust the cable but if I mess with it I will most likely void the warranty of the tranny so I want the shop to take care of it and hear their reason of why the shift points are set so low. Besides...if the adjustment is bad right now it's their ass cuz they're the ones who installed it.

EDIT: Sorry Mike....forgot to remove my sig line
chevychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 12:49 AM   #10
apstguy
LED King

My Bowtie overdrives shifts Firm. Extremly firm at WOT. 2-3 shift floored WILL make you hit your head and that's with a 305. I love it!

1985 C10 305 w/ Bowtie OD TH700R4 3.42 LSD 202,000 miles
2006 Ford Focus ZX3 5-speed Stick
2016 Chevy Spark EV
Gone: 2002.5 VW GTI 24v VR6
Gone: 2008 VW R32
apstguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 01:00 AM   #11
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Glad to have you back on the board Heather Can't wait to see the pics of the new interior.
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 05:26 AM   #12
Tom
driving is in my blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevychic
Is there a code on the tranny that would tell me what year tranny it is? The engine is from 79 and was originally built to be put in a vw bug for racing....I'm assuming that the tranny and the engine are not from the same year.

That won't matter Now go floor it, alot. Chirping tires is cool
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote