The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2004, 05:46 PM   #1
incoma

Lower Control Arm Bumper Install

Can anyone give my a hint as to the best way to get this guy into the mount? I pulled my old ones out so I could get the control arms stripped and painted. I re-assembled the front suspension thinking it would be easier to re-install my new rubber bumpers, but I haven't had any luck...ANY IDEAS??HELP!!
incoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 06:57 PM   #2
Sweet72

I fought with my new polyurethane bumpers for quite some time, and decided to use grease and work them in from one end carefully with a screwdriver. Some control arms have slots in them shaped kinda like the letter I, this type is slightly easier to install the bumpers into.
'72 GMC SWB C1500 Custom, frame-off in progress. 383 SBC, 9:1CR, Comp Cams XE262H, Scat internal balanced crank, Eagle SIR 6" rods, Keith Black dish pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 72/180 heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Stewart stage I water pump, Holley 4bbl vac sec, TH350 with B&M Shift Improver Kit. 12 bolt positraction.
Sweet72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 07:09 PM   #3
incoma

Thanks for the reply! I figured I'd just have to work them in, but had hoped that someone might know of some special mechanics vodoo that would make it easier. Everytime I seem to find a tough install, there seeems to be someone with a quick and easy way of doing it, and I had hoped that might be the case with this!!
incoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:16 PM   #4
C10NEWGUY

Re: Lower Control Arm Bumper Install

tried installing new bumpers today as well. after ten minutes and no luck i gave up. anybody with any easy ideas? soap? grease?
Old 01-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
bubba353z

Curse a lot - that's what I did.....

I used a little Dawn dish soap and a couple screwdrivers to pry the rubber with. It might make sense to open up one end of the slot a bit, but I didn't think to try it.
bubba353z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #6
tlandon67

Im sure by now you have probably figured it out but i figured I would share how I managed to install my lower rubber bumpers for anyone else that might be trying to do this. Its a little hard to describe but I will do my best. I bent the bottom tab on the rubber bumper over as far as i could to one side. I was able to hook one side of the bumper tab under the control arm tab (where it looks like an I on the control arm). I bent it so that it would catch under the closed side (side facing the lower ball joint) of the bracket. Once the rubber bumper tab hooked i pushed down on the bumper and then was able to use a flat blade screw driver to pry the other side of the bumper tab under the control arm tab, using the open side of the bracket (side that faces the spring cup). I used hand cleaner as a lubricant. Hope this helps and even makes sense!
2008 Nissan Titan
Sold Trucks
1991 & 1998 Chevy Stepside
1999 Chevy Z71
tlandon67 is offline   Reply With Quote