The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2004, 10:18 PM   #1
gman

Speedometer gear

Need help identifying a part and whether or not there is a replacement available. It appears to be some type of gear between the speedometer cable and the transfer case. It is leaking bad, and I'm not sure what its called to inquire on a replacement. It is box shaped and on one end, the speedo cable goes in.......the other end has a small cable sticking out of it that goes in the transfer case. I've looked in the Assembly manual and a 72 GM parts catalog and can't figure out what its called. Any ideas? Can it be replaced or rebuilt? It is not leaking from the speedo cable end. Its leaking from the other end. Thanks for any help.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:25 AM   #2
mrein3

I bought a tranny/transfer case from a guy a few years ago that had one of these deals on it. I believe if you had something other than a 373 rear end you have one of these to correct your speedo.

The speedo corrector I have doesn't have any oil in it. I would say that your transfer case is leaking into this speedo corrector.

If this is the case the cause for your leak could be the seal between the transfer case and the transmission. I didn't look too close to the manual I took out but the automatic I put in WAS leaking back into the transfer case. The seals in that setup (th350/NP205) are in the adapter between the two. The drive sleeve contacts an oil seal on each side of the adapter. Sort of like the oil seal in your timing chain cover on the front of the engine.

I'm just guessing here. I suppose you could drain your transfer case and see if the oil is thin. Automatic transmission fluid leaking in there will thin it out over time and cause the overfill condition.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 10:01 AM   #3
JimKshortstep4x4

I agree with mrien3 on the overfilled transfer case. I have a leaky transmission to transfer case seal problem and I remove the fill plug to drain off the excess fluid, (Automatic transmission fluid mixed with the gear lube).

This will help your leak temporarily. Also, the the "correction" adapter has "O" rings in it and you may want to try replacing them.

Leaking between the transmission and the transfer case is fairly common. I know I am not looking forward to repairing mine!

Good luck!

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 11:32 PM   #4
gman

I should've explained this a little better i guess. The transfer case isn't overfilled or being overfilled from the tranny. I have a manual tranny, not an auto. And about every week I'm ADDING gear oil to the transfer case because of the leak from the 'correction' adapter. I replaced an o-ring on the transfer case side of the adapter but it didn't stop the leak unfortunately. You can actually move the adapter a little and see a little gear oil weep from part of the adapter.

With this said, is there any other ideas? Can this item be replaced? If I had the digital camera with me I'd post a pic. Thanks for the ideas and input so far. I'm just wondering if the correction adapter can be replaced. Any other ideas?