The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2004, 11:31 PM   #1
TIMSPEED

What psi to run in a Firestone 2600?

If I put the ART Cool Ride kit (basically) on the front of my C10, what psi should I run the bags at? 50psi? I don't want it LOOOW, just like around 5-6" of drop.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:36 PM   #2
Shane
Account Suspended

there's not an "exact" pressure that is the same from vehicle to vehicle ... that is the beauty of bagz ... air them up or down until you get the height ya want.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 11:44 PM   #3
KutThroatKustoms
drag body or die

Depends your desired ride height. If you use the coolride with the a-arms, usingthe lower you loose ground clearence and lift. You only wanted a 5" drop from stock.. well, what is your truck stock? my truck is a lot lower then most of the truck my era i see (73-87) and mine i stock. But i have the big block under there. It sits lower then my dads 90, which the early 90's trucks were low, stock.

I suggest jasons plate (which will lay up to a 20" rim) and airlift 2b7 bags and be just fine.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:18 AM   #4
BaggedC10
Under construction!

Like Shane said, all vehicles are different. 55-60psi is my ride height up front and that's tucking 1" of wheel or so.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:40 AM   #5
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

If you are building a setup for a specific application you need to design the mounting brackets to achieve your desired height. This is how I would go about doing it.
Example:
Lets say for simplicity sake you current coil spring is 15" (made up number) high in the compressed/installed posistion. You want the truck 5" lower. If you mounting bracket is going to mount INSIDE the coil pocket, it needs a total height of 10" now. If you get a round steel tube that is 10" tall that is the same relative diameter as the coil and stick it where the spring was located and sit the truck down on it, the truck should be exactly where you want it to be ride height wise. NOW pulling the 10" long tube out and checking the specs on the airbag you plan to use (lets say a Firestone 6957) it was designed to have a ride height of 4.5" - 5". Lets go with 4.5", for simplicity. Now taking into account that X amount (using 3.5") must go into the spring pocket for clearance and Y amount (using 1") must go into the control arm for clearane and Z amount ( using 4.5" from above) must be the airbag at ride height, you can take X + Y + Z = ( difference) That gives you 3.5" + 1" + 4.5" = 9" So a 10" total height minus are NECESSARY height of 9" give you 1" to play with. Depending on your clearance let’s assume the bag can mount evenly splitting the 1" in half. NOW we need a top bracket of 4" tall and a bottom bracket of 1.5" tall.

If you decide to put the bag on a plate, on the control arm like I did, you just need to take into consideration the distance from the top of the bag to the bottom of the control arm. Once you are finished and it is installed, you can fine tune the height of the truck, and when you want to air it up to max height, you will gain a 2.5" lift, and when you drop it to the ground (airbag empty) you will drop it down another 1.5".

Keeping in mind ALL of these numbers are just fabricated in my head, actual will be different.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 11:55 AM   #6
TIMSPEED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captkaos
Keeping in mind ALL of these numbers are just fabricated in my head, actual will be different.
I understand, and it's quite clear now.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:04 PM   #7
Izzy
Trucker.

I ran at about 45-50 PSI and tucked a half inch or so of a 235/60/15.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote