The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2004, 12:09 PM   #1
hank

wood bed rails

my truck is a very stock looking 71 cheyenne(pic below) and i was thinking of making some wooden bed rails like the ones pictured on the antique below.(other pics below)

my plan is to use the hardest wood i can find and treat it to make it as tough as i can. i'm thinking of using darker wood to match the "wood" trim on my truck and bolting them in through the little hole on the side of the holes in the top of the bed.

anybody ever built as set for your truck and have any tips before i start in regards to construction or the treatment of my wood?

what about pictures? anyone have a pic of their truck with rails? i'm looking for design ideas and you people generally have TONS of them.

thanks for any advice.
Attached Images

Last edited by hank; 05-18-2004 at 12:18 PM.
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 01:32 PM   #2
Jeepster376

Oak is a common hard wood for stuff like that, mahogany is hard like oak, but has nice dark color both hold up pretty well to abuse, and decay. If you want really hard, maple is the stuff, but maple has a very light color. Black walnut is very very hard but probably too dark. Teak @ about 4-5 times the cost of mahogany is tough, has great natural color and will never rot. but it aint cheap.

To build a set of rails like that looks like aproximately 20 bf so nice mahogany at about $7/bf would run about $140. for the wood, oak is a little less, teak would be probably $500. I think mahogany would be a nice choice.

Finishing you could finish it with a teak oil that you just rag on about once a month, which is nice because it won't chip or peel, but it needs continous maintenance coats of oil, or you can varnish it with a spar varnish, or marine varnish, which is tough, looks great but breathes and flexes with the wood as it expands and contracts with the weather and moisture. Marine varnish, needs a little attention and top coat once a year or so.

Last edited by Jeepster376; 05-18-2004 at 01:52 PM.
Jeepster376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 01:37 PM   #3
Jeepster376

If you want cheap. The stuff they call mahogany at the lumber yard for building decks with is very inexpensive maybe $50 to get what you need. It's not really mahogany but it is similar to it, it's durable finishes nice and holds up to weather well.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:45 PM   #4
hank

thanks. teak oil and marine varnish are a good ideas.

i have a long bed(which i failed to mention) so i think i would need 32 board feet of would, no?

i have a wholesale connection through a friend that builds custom cabinets that is willing to help. so hopefully i can get a break on mahogany, which is what i was thinking of.

he has all the maple i would want for the posts for free, so maybe maple and mahagony might look nice two toned look.

anyone ever tried bamboo planks for a wood bed or bed rails?

Last edited by hank; 05-18-2004 at 01:52 PM.
hank is offline   Reply With Quote