The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2004, 12:35 AM   #1
71Rat
ran out of money

NEED Trans Help!

I just finished off my motor and get it running in the truck. i also added a 700R4 to the truck at the same time. so today i go to drive the truck and find out i only have first and reverse. my park and nutral all line up fine. But i dont seem to have anything but first and reverse. I can't figure out what is wrong. I just rebuilt the transmission over the winter. The only think i can think of that i might have messed up on would be the valve body. does anyone have any sugestions? I would really like to be able to drive my truck. I also hooked up the TV cable correctly. Please someone help me! i miss driving my truck and would like to enjoy it before i have to go back to school.

Thanks sooo much
Rat
Old 05-19-2004, 05:44 AM   #2
GMC AMI

To run a 700r-4 in an older truck needs a special control added to allow proper shifting.
Call the summit racing 1 800 517 1035 ask for tech support and they have what you need to fix your problem.
GMC AMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 06:49 AM   #3
Blazer1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Files
To run a 700r-4 in an older truck needs a special control added to allow proper shifting.
Call the summit racing 1 800 517 1035 ask for tech support and they have what you need to fix your problem.
The only "special control" would be for torque converter lockup. That is not his problem.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:14 AM   #4
GMC AMI

Summit will solve his problem Tim. The 700 r-4 will want to run in the lower gears only
without the control installed in . You install this by removing the oil pan of trans. He may also need the 700 r-4 wiring harness to run the 700 r-4 with an older carb. motor.
I am only trying to help,Summit is a toll free #. My Dad had same problem when converting a 4.3 fuel inj. to an older carb. 400 small block. Ran perfect after modifications, are you a tranny expert?
GMC AMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 08:11 AM   #5
GSFMECH
On the road

Sounds like your TV valve is hung or your cable is not adjusted properly. You may have to drop the valve body to unhang the valve. I have rebuilt several of these and had this problem a few times, it is a common sore spot for a 700R4, Mike Files are you sure you aren't thinking of a 4L60 Trans? The summit kit and others (painless) only lock the convertor up. There are other things in the valve body that will keep it from shifting but this is the first thing you should look at. The spring in this valve sometimes will get weak and there are "booster" springs available too. Some of the early 700's are worse than the later ones for this. Also swapping valves bodys can be tricky, you have to use the right one or it won't shift.
Mike
GSFMECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 09:56 AM   #6
71Rat
ran out of money

I have a TCI lock up kit installed on the trans. it is also an 87 trans. i ran the code on the side of it.. the TV cable is hooked up correctly (full pull at full throttle). If that valve was sticking wouldnt the tv cable not want to move at all? and yes to run a 700R4 you only need a converter lock up wiring or just run a converter that doesnt lock up. 700R4's actually came on some carb cars/trucks in the early 80's. I might try the valve in the valve body. Thanks for the help. anyone else have any sugestions?

Thanks a lot
Rat
Old 05-19-2004, 01:57 PM   #7
GSFMECH
On the road

71 Rat
Sometimes when they hang they will sieze in the bore but that valve is a 2 piece valve (a valve within a valve) and it can hang internaly, and will appear to be ok. Not saying that is your problem but it is a very high probability. I had one do this on my nephews 88 recently. Has the transmission ever been used since rebuild, and has any parts been changed in the valve body? I've had valves hang in the bore of a valve body simply by washing them in solvent (no lubrication). As far as adjustment of the cable goes, just because it pulls all the way out at full throttle does not mean it's right. The throttle valve opening ratio is also important, if the cable pulls out too far too fast the transmission will think you are giving it more throttle opening than you really are and delay the shift to second, and this could also be your problem. That TV cable is the only link to the engine and controls the shift points, unlike the old 350/400 turbos with a modulator and detent system. You might try adjusting it shorter and see what happens. Changing to non stock carbs, TV cable brackets , and even the manifold can have an affect on the ratio. 700R4.com has lots of good info on this, and a neat kit to fine tune the shift points (TV opening ratio). netgearhead.net was another good source of info and has a discussion board on transmissions but I can't seem get on there today. Good luck finding it.

Mike
Old 05-19-2004, 05:31 PM   #8
71Rat
ran out of money

GSFMECH: No the trans hasn't been used since rebuild. I talked to a few other people today and they recomended that i pull the gov. and check if it is working correctly. Then they said i might have to check my valve body. That is good to know about the cable still pulling but the vavle sticking. I know that the ratio for the TV cable is very close, my friend and i worked on it for a while to get it correct. The only thing i went into the vavle body for was to change a valve for the B&M shift kit, and i checked it when i was done to make sure it worked ok. I am going to work on it tomarrow when i get some time and try the gov. because it isnt that hard to check. Then i will pull the valve body down. Hopefully i can get this figured out soon. Ohh yeah its going to be fun with no lift and a lowered truck....

Thank you very much!

Rat
Old 05-19-2004, 07:11 PM   #9
GSFMECH
On the road

You're welcome Rat, and they are right, a hung Governer is on the list of things that will cause it too, good luck and let us know how it comes out.
Mike