The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2004, 07:11 PM   #1
tygerhb

Junkyards in California?

Hello to all from the Bay Area California. I stumbled upon this site while looking for parts for my wife’s 72 Suburban. Finding this forum was a real treat. Before I posted anything I thought I should browse the forum’s FAQS and archive and familiarize myself with what has been already discussed. After two weeks of reading, I have just finished browsing all the posts from the beginning and I must say Wow! What a great resource!

A question I have is what junkyards in California have a good supply of 67-72 trucks. I have visted most of the yards in the Bay Area and have not had a lot of success. Also I did check out the online junkyard parts locator and it did not seem to work for me (probably my fault).

Any help would be appreciated.

Tygerhb
64 1/2 ton C10 Shortbed
65 Ranchero
71 240 Z
72 Chevy Suburban
79 El Camino
tygerhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 07:27 PM   #2
skokie

If you find any please post it. From what searching I have done the pickings are slim to say the least.
skokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 07:41 PM   #3
neonlarry

The turnover in the yards around here is pretty high so you just have to keep checking. The only place I know that specializes in 67-72 GM's is Vintage Chevy Trucks in Fremont. Think of it as an indoor yard with everything already disassembled. He also sells new stuff. If you go there tell him Larry & Travis sent you.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 07:53 PM   #4
Martin64

There are some up in the Santa Rosa area but I haven't been to them in years. The one in Penngrove had alot of old iron in it. It may be worth checking out.

1964(-ish) C10
Martin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 10:02 AM   #5
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

Welcome

Where about in the Bay Area are you? I'm in the East Bay, Pittsburg to be exact. Not much of anything around here. Jerry Moss is in Brentwood and is a very good source for parts (hope you don’t mind me mentioning your name Jerry) He's a good guy to deal with. You can find him here on the board.

Once again Welcome

Steve
2019 GMC Diesil Dually. Youngest Son
2017 Toyota SUV Daughters car
2018 Traverse , Wife’s Ride
Pittsburg Ca
1970 CST Short Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 10:45 AM   #6
sactoC10
71 DELUX

Talking 3 in NORTH SAC AREA...

Well maybe two... and they are not exactly junk yards.

Here is the name of one in Roseville California:
B&E Auto Sales "We specialize in 67-72 Trucks & Parts" Buy-Sell-Trade
200 Washington Blvd, Roseville, 95678 Eddy Spradlin 916.782.3533

I was there on Saturday and basically he puts together trucks that need a few things...or sells parts off the salvage vehicles that he has. He had about 30-35 there and numerous carcasses.

Also, there is another place in Roseville that has about 7-10 of our trucks in the yard, with about 5 of them for sale...the other just in parts. Not sure of the name, but I can get it.

And then the third is a used car dealer not far from me in the North Sacramento area. He has about 15-20 of these trucks for sale, but he does not part them out, and his prices are...well questionable. Serious negotiating would be required.

And then there are NUMEROUS ones in the area, in people's yards and I've only hit a few of them up for parts or questioned them if they's sell their vehicle.

Last, but not least...there is also a parts guy in Roseville that specializes in these trucks...and there is supposed to be another one in Rocklin (few miles away) that I've not gone to find yet.

If you are ever headed up the I-80 corridor and have a couple hours to kill, let me know...we'll go on a field trip!

Jeff
sactoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 11:43 AM   #7
skokie

Yep I know vintage chevy. About the only place around here. And you are right it is a indoor junkyard.
skokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 12:55 PM   #8
John Fabris
TOTY 2006

I have had good luck with several of the Pick-N-Pulls, Richmond, and Fairfield. They generally have 1-4 new trucks every two weeks, so you have to go almost once a week to check. Keep an extra set of tools with you as these trucks will get stripped within one week.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:13 PM   #9
boraxman
Keepin an eye out

Quote:
Originally Posted by skokie
If you find any please post it. From what searching I have done the pickings are slim to say the least.
Same down here in So. Cal.
ZIP 91351
boraxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 02:59 PM   #10
dmnall

There is a Junkyard by Pull your Parts in Santa Paula, Ca but a bit of advice, they are OVERPRICED.. Also the Pull Your Parts has 2 yards one for 60 - 70 and 80's cars and trucks and one for 80's and newer...

Charlie
2008 Honda Civic Si *lease*
dmnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 03:11 PM   #11
Stepsides 4Ever
Stepsides Are Bedder

Pretty much where is, as is, in So. Cal., and expect to pay top dollar. Junkyard guys know what the stuff sells for new, so they price accordingly. There are a few guys in the area that supplement their income parting out old trucks.
Stepsides 4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 03:27 PM   #12
tygerhb

Thanks to all for your replies. SactoC10 I will check out those areas you posted (thank you very much) and if we do get up to your area I will stop by and say hello (we live in Santa Clara).

After seven long years, my wife's Suburban is going in for paint this Monday and I have been scrambling around looking for an outer grill. New paint is good news since the 72 has been rumbling around in black primer since the day we brought the suburban home. Bad news the old grill was perfect until someone ran into my wife about 2 months ago and bent the old grill on the corner (see attached pic). Anyway we have been hunting ever since. I hope to find an original grill since they seem to fit the best.

NeonLarry yes we have a call in to vintage to set up an appointment. He is out of town until Friday. Thanks to you for the reference.

When the 72 gets back from the shop I will post some pics.

Thanks to all for making me feel welcome.

Tygerhb
Attached Images

tygerhb is offline   Reply With Quote