The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2004, 08:00 PM   #1
zzChevy
BANNED

Exclamation Ignition switch

Ready to go to work this morning when the 85 wouldn't turn over. I mean absolutely nothing. In fact, I couldn't put it in neutral or anything. Seems like the ignition switch has gone bad. There is absolutely no resistance when it is turned to 'Run' and I get no 'Acc' indication lights.

I had a feeling that something peculiar was going on in the in the switch when I was filling the truck up yestarday.

Anyone replaced these before? They look fairly cheap too.
zzChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 08:31 PM   #2
1985K10

I've had to replace the lock cylinder, but not the ignition switch. Heres a link though..
Steering Column Disassembly
77 GMC Royal Sierra~Resto in progress~
1985K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 01:34 PM   #3
mhicks

15 minutes. 12 dollars. Not much to it. Most auto supplies will have them. Mounted under the dash in my "73 on top of the steering column. 2 screws holding it on.
mhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 02:20 PM   #4
Prerunner1982

mhicks is right about the location. just make sure you adjust it properly otherwise run could be start and off could be run and acc would be off... other than that its pretty easy.
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 02:26 PM   #5
mhicks

There are a few insructions with them when you buy 'em. But the one I got te instuctions had been translated from several different languages before it made it to english so it was kinda hard to understand. But it was pretty easy.
mhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 09:23 PM   #6
zzChevy
BANNED

I might not be reading the Hayes manual right then. Seems like a lot more work than that.

I did just purchased a steering wheel puller.

We shall see.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:10 AM   #7
Prerunner1982

you shouldnt need a steering wheel puller. except to get it out of the way so you can drop the column down further.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:12 AM   #8
zzChevy
BANNED

In order to remove the Lock cylinder, I need to pull the steering wheel. Apparantly there is a screw that his holding it in place underneith it all. Once that is removed, It should come on out.

The only problem is, now I removed the steering wheel, directly underneith it is a piece of plastic with notches in it. I can figurout how to get this off. I see nothing in any of the directions other than what 1985K10 posted. Do those tabs look broken to you too? Is this an important piece?
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2004, 12:56 PM   #9
Prerunner1982

ok maybe i am confused, are you replacing the ignition switch or the lock cylinder? the ignition switch it under the dash ontop of the column, no need to pull all that for the ignition switch. if you are pulling the lock cylinder i will shut up now, never done it though i need to.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:03 PM   #10
zzChevy
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prerunner1982
ok maybe i am confused, are you replacing the ignition switch or the lock cylinder? the ignition switch it under the dash ontop of the column, no need to pull all that for the ignition switch. if you are pulling the lock cylinder i will shut up now, never done it though i need to.

Haha. Your confused? I'm confused now. I thought the Lock cylinder was the ignition switch when this thread started.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:07 PM   #11
zzChevy
BANNED

Got it off by slightly damaging it.

I'm moving along now. Thanks
Old 05-22-2004, 01:09 PM   #12
Prerunner1982

i still may be confused, but the lock cylinder has a rod that runs along the top of the column to a switch (this is the ignition switch) where the rods connects and slides in a straight line to activate the different settings.. (start, run, off, acc) there are a couple small bolts holding it on and it has a wiring connector. The switch is adjustable, it slides alittle on the bolts and if it isnt adjusted right your off could be run like i said earlier. IN the manual if i remember correctly it does say to drop the column makes it a bit easier to get to, i think i actually adjusted mine with the column in place.

Last edited by Prerunner1982; 05-22-2004 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-22-2004, 02:12 PM   #13
zzChevy
BANNED

Yeah, I was able to pull out the Cylinder. Going to Henna tomarrow.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-22-2004, 02:31 PM   #14
randyjen11

right tool

you can go to just about any part store for the tool that helps remove that c clip putting it back on will be just as much fun without it it cost 10-15 bucks
randyjen11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 04:33 PM   #15
zzChevy
BANNED

Scrap it. Went to a locksmith down the road. Turns out the lock cylinder is fine. Its something else in the column.

Looks like I'm going to have to pull it down.

Recap.

When the lock cylinder is put on 'run' to start the vehical. Absoutly nothing happens. I get no inicator lights, and no spring return from the cylinder. Locksmith said the cylinder is fin but the rod and pinion in the column has gone bad. This sucks.

Just the other day I was reading about a column swapout on this board......I was happy it wasnt me....................what once wasnt is now to be.............this is my life..........
Old 05-22-2004, 08:28 PM   #16
Prerunner1982

you dont need to swap columns or disassemble it. try the ignition switch first..
Old 05-22-2004, 09:59 PM   #17
zzChevy
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prerunner1982
you dont need to swap columns or disassemble it. try the ignition switch first..

So Pre. Just to make sure we are on the same page here.

When you turn the key cylinder all the way to engauge the starter at startup, the lock cyclinder returns to run so the starter dosent keep engauging while the engine is running. Right? Well, I do not get that. When I turn it to start....it stays at start. It doesnt backoff to 'run'.

Am I missing something here? This seems to be mechanical.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:28 PM   #18
ChevyTech

Cool

When you turn your key to the crank position, the spring you feel is located in the ignition SWITCH. Not the ignition cylinder, or in the column. If you can turn the key, the cylinder has done it's job. Like the guys said, there is a rod that goes down the top of the column to the switch that is located on the outside top surface of the column. Unless the rod broke between the two, sounds like you need a SWITCH. It's an electric switch held on by two screws. Taking column apart will not get you to the switch, it's on the OUTSIDE of the column. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by ChevyTech; 05-22-2004 at 10:31 PM.
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 10:39 PM   #19
zzChevy
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTech
When you turn your key to the crank position, the spring you feel is located in the ignition SWITCH. Not the ignition cylinder, or in the column. If you can turn the key, the cylinder has done it's job. Like the guys said, there is a rod that goes down the top of the column to the switch that is located on the outside top surface of the column. Unless the rod broke between the two, sounds like you need a SWITCH. It's an electric switch held on by two screws. Taking column apart will not get you to the switch, it's on the OUTSIDE of the column. Let us know how it goes.

Yeah. I'm thinking the rod now but I will investigate the switch too.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:48 PM   #20
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Just in case you don't understand where the switch is, you will have to drop the column down some. Remove the column trim from the bottom of the dash. You will see the bolts holding the column to the dash. Remove these and the column will go down so you have access to the top of the column right at the dash. The switch is held onto the column with 2 screws.

To make sure you get everything hooked back up right, before installing the new one push all the way up on it and then one click down. All the way up is the ACC position, down one click is LOCK. Now when you hook the rod back to the switch, make sure the lock cylinder is in the lock position and you will be set to go.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 11:07 PM   #21
zzChevy
BANNED

Thanks Mike. I just got done locating it a sec ago. Wasn't a part really ment to be replaced eh? Oh well, gotta get it done.

Sorry for the churn guys.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-23-2004, 01:02 AM   #22
ChevyTech

If you get to the switch, and do not find it to be the problem, here are some questions for you.
Is it a tilt column?
When you turn the key does it unlock the steering wheel so you can turn it?
Did it turn hard, and then it broke?
Old 05-23-2004, 10:24 AM   #23
zzChevy
BANNED

Ok. I been looking at this thing (ig. switch) for an hour now. I've lowered the column like Mike suggested, but without removing it, it looks almost impossible to remove thisswitch

Should I drop the entire column?!?!?

Chevytech. To answer your questions.

Is it a tilt column? Yes

When you turn the key does it unlock the steering wheel so you can turn it? Yes, it unlocks the steering wheel but I couldnt shift outof park. I also get no indicator lights or gauge readings when it is in either run or acc.

Did it turn hard, and then it broke? Not really. I started to see issues the day prior when I had to turn the Lock cylinder fairly hard and hold it for it to start. Just glad it did. Exxon wouldnt have been happy.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:49 AM   #24
ChevyTech

Cool

Turn the key while watching the rod that goes down to the switch. When you turn the key, the rod should move in the switch. If it does not there is a problem in the column.

Last edited by ChevyTech; 05-23-2004 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:21 AM   #25
ChevyTech

I'm trying to picture in my mind, what locks the shifter. I just can't remember. If the problem was only the switch, the shift lever should be able to move when you turn the key. 1973-1987 pickups are before the era of electric shifter locks. The second to last picture, on the steering column web site, my be the problem part.
http://home.t-online.de/home/O_Scholz/steering.html