The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2004, 03:19 AM   #1
rug247

Trying to pick out a good set of headers

undefined
Heres my deal.
I have just completed the rebuild on a 350 that came out of a 87 suburban
and i put that same engine in a 84 gmc k1500 4x4 that originaly had a 305 in it. now the heads that are on the 350 right now are older heads like early 80s or late 70s heads with a bigger combustion chamber on them. now i want to put some headers on it and i dont know weather to go with shorty hugger headers or long tube headers. The question is, I need to know what will fit better on the 84 because i found a really good priced set of sbc shortys
Oh i dont plan on putting kats on it.
If any one has any good suggestions please share.

RUGGERY
rug247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 12:08 PM   #2
breeh
Recovering 67-72 Addict

If you can fit the long tube headers (you should be able to find a set that fit) then I would definitely use them. The shorties do not give you as much performance gain as the long tube headers.

"Friends call me cruzer cuz I like fast cars and fast women"
breeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 01:00 PM   #3
fanman

I second the long tubes. I've got a set of Dynomax on my 77. They fit perfect. I'd use a set of better gaskets than the ones that come with the headers.

I'm not stuck, I've still got some gas left"
fanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 02:57 PM   #4
rug247

addition to my own thread

well see my main concern at this point is,
if i install the shortys i was wondering if i would run into problems with the starter. it has a stock starter on it and it looks like it is in the way but im not sure I quess i could find out the demetions on the headers and do it that way but i wanted to get some opinions from those that have been stuck with my question. thank you guys for your input. more would be appreciated

RUG
rug247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 12:58 PM   #5
BurnoutNova

i dont think there is a good set of headers, unless there ceramic coated. all the other ones leak, rust and look like crap.

ive used the dynomax ceramic and the hedman ceramic. like them both. also used the mr gasket copperseal header gaskets and had good luck with them to.
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 05:26 PM   #6
Devil'S Ride

Definetly get a set of mr gasket headder gaskets, as the ones that come with are crap. You could even use a lil rtv to hold them to the headder when yer puttin em on. I have used dyno max, hooker. and heddman. I liked the hedmans better, because they had a 3/8" thich flange. The hookers were the best in power that I noticed, an the dyno max headers were ok for the money. If you are looking for a cheap header right now, that gives decent performance, fits, an is useful, got to summitracing.com, order a set of their summit headers, an bolt em on. I called, told them my application, an a few days later, I got me a set of headers that bolted up, no problems, fit around everything perfectly, and I never had a leak. At all.

just my .02$

1983 ONE TON 454/400/208 11" of lift on 44's
Devil'S Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 07:07 PM   #7
buckola
1 Wrench / 10 Knuckles

Nnot trying to hijack a thread... but are the Mr. Gasket copper gaskets reusable?

thanks

Steve

2006 Dodge Charger SRT8. 1/4 mile 13.3

1973 Z1 900 Kawasaki ( all original)
buckola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 08:03 PM   #8
Devil'S Ride

they can be if they come off in one piece, and still appear to be solid. I always use a thin bit of Black Hi temp RTV on each side, and I have never had a leak.

1983 ONE TON 454/400/208 11" of lift on 44's
Devil'S Ride is offline   Reply With Quote