The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2004, 10:30 AM   #1
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

350 valve covers

ok, so I have the normal pvc hose coming off of the passanger side. I have a push in breather on the front drivers side. And then I have another hose that comes off of the drivers side and into the spacer between the carb and air filter. (pictures below)
what I'm wanting to know is this. Do I even need a pvc valve? can't I just have valve covers with push in breathers on each side only? what about the place where the pvc hose connects to the carb, do I just cap that off? What about the kind where the passenger side has no holes and the driver side has the filler cap only?
I'm just wanting to keep nice, good, pure (yes yes, I'm changing the filter today!) air going into the carb. I don't think the air coming out of the valve covers is "good" air.
Attached Images

toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 11:45 AM   #2
Bowtie67

Most aftermarket Valve covers have only one hole in each valve cover and most people chose to eliminated the breather tube above the carb. You can run any small block valve cover with the exception of the newer center bolt valve covers. Also note that with the aftermarket valve covers you would end up putting the PCV on the rear of the passenger side and still keep the breather on the front drivers side. Most carbs have a 3/8 vacuum fitting on the back of the carb as well as a fitting that can be tapped in to the manifold to use for the PCV. I would stick to an aluminum set of valve covers instead of the pretty chrome cheapos because there is less of an issue of leaks.
2009 Toyota Tundra
1996 Harley RoadKing

"I maybe getting old, but I can still burn rubber with the best of them"

Last edited by Bowtie67; 05-23-2004 at 11:47 AM.
Bowtie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 01:57 PM   #3
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

do I even need a pcv though?
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 02:42 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Yes you do.
The PVC draws dirty air out of the engine, the breather is what lets the air into the engine.
Now you don't need both the breather and the hose to the air filter. Normally it is one or the other. In reality, you are better off with the tube to the air filter. That will give you cleaner air going in there and purging the engine with better air.
You can remove the breather and just add an oil fill cap.
You do want to keep the PVC and the fresh air supply (be it breather or tube to air filter) on seperate sides of the engine like you have now though.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote