The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2004, 02:05 PM   #1
tomsC10R

Question Can I make this bracket work? Help

This is a throttle cable and TV cable bracket for a Holley MPI. As you can see it doesn't quite line up. The threaded rod needs to go in the rear most hole on the linkage. Do you think I could heat it and totally straighten that 180 degree bend and then do the same (180 degree) further back to move the mounting of the TV housing further back? Then also bend the bracket up to make everything line up.

I was going to make a new bracket from scratch, but I can't figure out how to cut the square hole for the TV housing.

Any other ideas on what I should do? Help me

Thanks,
Tom
Attached Images

1968 C10 LWB. 402 BB, Holley MPI, 700R4. 4wheel Hydroboost Disk Brakes.
tomsC10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 02:55 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I think you have it too close to the carb. Notice that even if you did hook it up *somehow* from where it sits, the cable is already pulled all the way in, and therefore you couldn't pull anymore. The cable is already at WOT.
Try moving the bracket back a little, like maybe to the forward bolt of the rear two that hold the intake on. That seems to be the 'normal' stock location for these brackets, I wouldn't be suprised if that's where this is designed to go to.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 05:13 PM   #3
tomsC10R

Longhorn,
At WOT the TV cable actually extends (opposite of a throttle cable). So right now it is actually in the idle posistion. I guess I never even said which cable I was working with...sorry. I just need it to line up better and moved back a little. The bracket mounts on top of the throttle body, there's a groove that it fits into and everything...

Anybody got any ideas

Old 05-23-2004, 05:49 PM   #4
Longhorn Man

OK, I thought that was the throttle.
Old 05-23-2004, 06:50 PM   #5
Bowtie67

There are some sights dedicated to the 700R4 and one of the biggest issues is the TV cable, that setup WILL NOT WORK. You need to absolutely get the proper bracket and linkage for that TBI or you will have some major issues with that transmission and it will never shift properly. Both Holley and Edelbrock both make linkage for the TBI and a cable braket assembly specifically for the 700R4 trans.

2009 Toyota Tundra
1996 Harley RoadKing

"I maybe getting old, but I can still burn rubber with the best of them"
Bowtie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 07:44 PM   #6
tomsC10R

The bracket is made by Holley for a 700R4 linkage. The bracket is made for the Commander 950 MPI whereas I have the Projection MPI. I couldn't find a bracket specifically for the Projection MPI. I planned on it working since they are basically the same setup with different computers. Maybe there is some secret part # I couldn't find... I don't know...

Old 05-23-2004, 09:55 PM   #7
crazy4chevs

Cut the bracket in the middle and extend it(looks like about 1") then use the adjuster to get the TV cable adjusted correctly. A tranny shop can adjust it properly for you as they can hook up a pressure gauge to the tranny and then adjust it.

That set screw can move to give you a little more leway when extending the bracket if your off a bit. + or -

68 chev c10 swb fleet
Early classic 4/6 drop with 4wheel disc brakes 9"rear 67-8 buckets tilt and A/C
Classic GM Truck Club of Washington

crazy4chevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 11:38 PM   #8
Longhorn Man

crazy4chevs is right, you MUST have the tranny calibrated with guages that read the tranny's line pressure. If you do it by ear or by chiltins guidlines, you might get it right, and you might not. And plenty of times everything seems dead on, but in 20,000 miles the tranny is dead and needing a complete rebuild.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:14 PM   #9
Stepsides 4Ever
Stepsides Are Bedder

It looks like the angle that the attaching arm (on the carburetor) will pivot through is all wrong, even if you did manage to clear up the misalignment issues. There is some relevant linkage info on Sumner's 700R4 Tech Info page here. You have to get this right because the cable controls the hydraulic pressure to the clutch pack...if you don't get a rise in pressure as engine torque increases the clutches will slip too much and burn out in a short period of time.

Bowtie Overdrives sells an Installers kit that has 7' of hydraulic hose, fittings, pressure gauge and temperature gauge, and a temporary inline oil filter. You must have an increase in transmission oil pressure as soon as you come off idle or your tranny won't last.
Stepsides 4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 12:25 PM   #10
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

To drill a square hole just drill a round one slightly under size and file to shape with a square file.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 03:09 PM   #11
Bowtie67

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsC10R
The bracket is made by Holley for a 700R4 linkage. The bracket is made for the Commander 950 MPI whereas I have the Projection MPI. I couldn't find a bracket specifically for the Projection MPI. I planned on it working since they are basically the same setup with different computers. Maybe there is some secret part # I couldn't find... I don't know...
Tom from the picture of you TBI setup it looks like there is a fuel rail just below for fuel injectors. The Projection setup has always been the injectors on top of the TBI, I also didn't think they used the Commanden950 with projection only some simple little deal to control it with knobs. As I stated I can not see the part under your linkage or the top of you TBI. But I beleive you have MPFI not a projection setup.
2009 Toyota Tundra
1996 Harley RoadKing

"I maybe getting old, but I can still burn rubber with the best of them"
Bowtie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 05:31 PM   #12
tomsC10R

Bowtie,
It's not a TBI, that's why I've been saying MPI (multi port injection) the whole time. Projection doesn't designate whether it is a TBI or MPI, it is just the type of computer that is used. It may seem that way because the majority of TBI systems have Projection computers and now the MPI systems are only available with the Commander computer. There have been a number of different projection computers. It's true the first ones were analog type with knobs to control fuel flow. The Projection computers did advance to the point to being able to tune them with a computer and software. My system is the Projection (4Di) which I can tune with my laptop (just not while the engine is running like the Commander system). It runs on an oxygen sensor (closed loop), can adjust injection volume and timing advance as well as other things on the computer. It's about 3 years old. At that time Holley used the Projection(4Di) computer to control both the MPI and TBI systems. When they came out with the Commander, they eliminated MPI systems with the Projection computer. Now only the cheaper TBI systems are available with the Projection computer. I bought this setup new, never used on Ebay this winter for just about a third of the cost of a new Commander MPI. Hope I don't sound like a jerk, just wanted to get the story straight.

Here's a better pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie67
Tom from the picture of you TBI setup it looks like there is a fuel rail just below for fuel injectors. The Projection setup has always been the injectors on top of the TBI, I also didn't think they used the Commanden950 with projection only some simple little deal to control it with knobs. As I stated I can not see the part under your linkage or the top of you TBI. But I beleive you have MPFI not a projection setup.

Old 05-24-2004, 05:37 PM   #13
tomsC10R

Thanks for all the help with this. I'm actually in the process of making a custom bracket. I'm making part of it and using part of the old bracket that was used with the carb setup. Thanks for the link to Sumner's page. That along with Bowtie Overdrives has alot of good info. Thanks!!