The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2004, 08:34 PM   #1
Trucks
Is that a Chevy 69...?

undercoat help please

my 68 GMC has surface rust and some crust underneath, (MN truck) I would like to stop the corrosion and undercoat it, its about $300 to have ziebart spray stuff on and they say their mix has the rust inhibitors in it, anyone did this? He said they just pressure wash and then spray. Should I be concerned about media blasting or usingrust converter first? and how?
Its already bondoed in places,shes a driver not just a looker, but I want it to last. Thanks!
Old 05-24-2004, 08:59 PM   #2
Trucks
Is that a Chevy 69...?

anyone undercoat stuff? Someone in the northern half of the U.S. has seen rust I know it....
Old 05-25-2004, 12:31 AM   #3
69 Short Fleet

I powerwashed my undercarrage then used an electric drill and went through about 8 wire wheel brushes (various sixes). Then I masked off the areas (newspaper/masking tape) that I didn't want to get overspray on and used about 10 spraycans of undercoating. It was a lot of work but it cam out pretty nice, my dremel with a flexshaft extension came in super handy for the nooks and crannies, regards Doug
69 Short Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 11:51 AM   #4
Trucks
Is that a Chevy 69...?

yep

Thats what I figured, so did it cost you about 60 bucks in bits and spray? Not too bad. Which brand of spray did you use, are there good / not so good ones?
Old 05-25-2004, 04:37 PM   #5
69 Short Fleet

Yes around $60-80, I didn't use the highest price stuff (not sure if it makes that much diff. or not) however I am thinking on doing a frame off in about 5 years and I'll blast it off and prep, paint & detail the frame/undercarrige then. I also blocked the truck up (under the tires, using 2" x 12"'s) and raised it @ 8" to make it easier to work on (makes a huge difference). I didn't do anything to the driveshaft as I didn't want to add any extra weight to it or make it off balance as the undercoating is somewhat heavy, not sure if its that important or not (maybe some experts will add their input). Also don't forget (as I did putting on my front swaybar and wound up at the emergency dept) to wear safety GOGGLES for the eyeball dept. Hope this helps, regards Doug
69 Short Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 10:08 AM   #6
guyryan100

3M undercoating is great. Is rubbery but dries very hard - not sticky at all.
guyryan100 is offline   Reply With Quote