The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2004, 10:04 PM   #1
72bigblock4wd

Question Rear leaf to Rear Coil conversion?????

Rear leaf to Rear Coil conversion?????

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a '67 GMC c15 frame and am taking the body off for a 4wd truck that I'm building. I just found out that my wife's cousin has a '67 Chevy C10 that he's interested in selling, i.e., he'll make me a pretty good deal. The problem is that the frame on his truck is pretty rusty and has rear coils. The frame I have is really solid, but has rear leafs. I would like to swap the rear coil setup onto the rear leaf frame that I have (as well as doing a SWB conversion). Has anyone swapped from leafs to coils, and if so how difficult is the conversion? I want to swap it out so I can dump the '67 in the weeds with a 4.5"/4" drop.
Thanks
72bigblock4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 10:54 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I am not sure on the leaf to coil deal, it has been said on here that it can be done, and it has been said that the frames are not the same.
However, if the frame is rusted, chances are the trailing arms are total junk too. Looking at your geographical location makes me think even more that the arms are rusted out.

At the minimum, it is something to look at on the 2 wheel drive truck.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 11:47 AM   #3
Gotta71C20

Leaf to coil

I'm in the process of restoring a C20 leaf spring truck and I have made the change to coils. It isn't too difficult but you will have a lot of rivets to grind off and drive out and a lot of holes to drill. I think I used about 120 3/8" bolts, nuts, washers to put the coil spring stuff on my frame. One rear crossmember changes out and be sure you have the coil frame around for measurements as you go. You will have to have the coil rear end also. Good luck. Larry
Gotta71C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 01:30 PM   #4
Yellow Cheyenne

I've done the conversion from coils to leafs (had bad trailing arms and a cheap donor frame with leafs). Not terribly difficult, but took some time, and as mentioned, used lots of bolts. Defenitely have a complete donor to pull all of the little items you will need such as frame braces, e-brake cables, brackets, etc. Just some info, all 4 X 4 pickups were leaf from the factory. The 4 X 4 leaf frames are different than the 2 WD leaf frames. The 2 WD frames are the same whether they use coils or leafs. All of this info is based on 2WD long bed 1/2 ton info-that's what I worked on. I can only guess that it would apply to the short bed and 3/4 ton pickups too.
'70 Olds Rallye 350
Yellow Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 02:10 PM   #5
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Gotta 71C20 is right. you will own stock in hdwr. store when done. it is not complicated, esp. with bed off both trucks. take whole assy from donor & set in place using trailing arms as locating points. leave bushing thru bolts loose. move back from there. if going this route I highly suggest air bags & engineer shock mounts differently so they are almost straight up & down. when these things are lowered the shocks become useless due to the low angle. put them behind axle mounting to U-bolt plate. makes for a much better ride.
Todd
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card

Last edited by 68C15; 05-25-2004 at 02:12 PM.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 07:20 PM   #6
72bigblock4wd

Thanks for the information everyone. Unfortunately I went to look at the other truck and the frame was pretty rusty so I won't be doing the conversion after all.
72bigblock4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 12:19 AM   #7
Hooter
My other Love

well all you need is the coils and trailing arms, if the arms are fine, then torch them off the rusty frame and start putting them onto your leaf frame

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote